Contribute
Register

Black screen while updating to 10.15.1 Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
once I try to use my RX580 it doesn't work
Look closely at the graphics card for a tiny switch, usually close to where the power cable connects.

I've done it, still same problem. I can use the computer with a HDMI port through the motherboard, but once I try to use my RX580 it doesn't work. I've tried different cables and all, as I said before, sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't. Don't know what to do.
Hi, i was having the same problem.Upgrading Clover(following this guide)to r5102 solved my issue.Also installed latest Alc,Lilu and Whatevergreen to kexts/other.
Perfect install after that!

Hi, i was having the same problem.Upgrading Clover(following this guide)to r5102 solved my issue.Also installed latest Alc,Lilu and Whatevergreen to kexts/other.
Perfect install after that!
Is there a reason you used a version from back in December? Do the newest builds not work? Thanks

Hi Guys,

In my case what worked were to install Lilu & WEG kexts in L/E using Hackintool and removing it from EFI/CLOVER/kexts .

Good hacking loock for you

Please help I'm on 1.15.3 with i5-9600K and RX 580. It does the verbose stuff but then flashes white and turns black indefinitely. I've tried everything listed here with no luck.

I've also had these issues, been struggling for 2 days and finally got boot after flashing CMOS, and swapping to HDMI (Intel Graphics) mid boot (Apple logo showing and progress bar half full). Still haven't found a way to successfully boot with Graphics Card Yet - 280x

Just wanted to chime in - I have an AMD RX580 and got the same black screen as everybody else, even though I had updated Clover (the original TonymacX86 post should probably be updated to advise also updating WEG and other kexts). Finally though I noticed that once the screen went black my CapsLock would still light up when I pressed it so I knew there was something going on behind the scenes…

Everybody who said to “remove or update kexts in the EFI” is forgetting the fact that some of us can’t even access the EFI because we don’t have a system that will boot…remember this happens halfway through the delicate process of updating the entire OS. However, using the boot flag

agdpmod=pikera

Finally got me to this screen,

391DF296-78C1-43F8-954A-9F24D2D638A6.jpeg

which was probably desperately trying to finish installing in the background every time I just saw a black screen… After the progress bar finished the system rebooted, but then even 'agdpmod=pikera' couldn't get me graphics. Luckily, I was able to remote in to my system from another machine and run CloverConfigurator from there. I downloaded the latest versions of Lilu & Whatevergreen and updated them in my EFI and after a reboot everything was back to normal.

Hope this helps someone else! I'll remember to update all my important kexts before I update MacOS next time.

Last edited:
Just wanted to leave this here so others with the same issue can find it later.

My Sapphire RX480 Nitro 4GB finally works with Lilu.kext 1.5.3 and WhateverGreen 1.5.0 in Clover Kexts/Other and agdpmod=pikera as boot argument. Im now on 10.15.7 and no more black screen after Apple logo.

Hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back