Contribute
Register

Black screen while updating to 10.15.1 Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a few words, with Catalina, Apple changed the way to use graphic cards. To fix this, you have to use the latest version of Lilu.kext and WEG (WhateverGreen.kext). Use Clover to put them to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and restart. If it doesn't work, try to copy them directly in /L/E (/Library/Extensions) folder on your hackintosh.

For me, when I had the black screen I thought my hackintosh was freezed but in fact, it was started, on desktop but without any display. So I had to use another computer to connect to my hackintosh through sftp to put Lilu and WEG directly to /L/E, restart, connect to HDMI (I was connected via DisplayPort before) and reboot. I solved my problem in that way.

Edit: I got a solution from an other board: I just had to add "agdpmod=pikera" as an bootflag. Now it works flawlessly with my original config.

Hey everyone,
I recently purchased an ASUS Radeon RX 580 OC for my hackintosh but I always get a black screen after booting macOS Catalina. I found various suggestions on this and other boards.

What I have done so far:
- Disable CSM in BIOS
- Bought an DisplayPort to HDMI cable to use my HDMI monitor with the DisplayPort Output
- Put the newest versions of Whatevergreen.kext (1.3.6) and Lilu.kext (1.4.1) on my EFI in kexts/other
- Removed Whatevergreen and Lilu in Library/Extensions on my Catalina drive
- Installed the newest versions of Whatevergreen and Lilu on my Catalina drive
- Copied my config as config1.plist and added "Orinoco" as FB Name, "5" as video ports and checked "Inject ATI" in Clover Configurator -> Graphics and added two patches in "KextToPatch" (see attached config1.plist) - select config1.plist in Clover bootscreen

None of this helped my out - whether with my original config on HDMI or DP, nor with the edited one on HDMI or DP.

On my backup drive running High Sierra everything works fine with my original config on HDMI (but not on DP).

Does anybody have a solution for me?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Maybe you guys can help me. I think I'm at the same place you were when you solved it, but I'm not gwtting the same results:

What I have done:
1. Place lilu.kext & WhatEverGreen.kext (both latest versions) in the EFI/CLOVER/OTHER folder
2. tried to add "agdpmod=pikera" as an bootflag in BOOT ARGS in Clover
3. In Clover next to BOOTARGS there is this: Boot Args= dart=0 nv_disable=1 _
I've tried deleting that AND adding the "agdpmod=pikera" next to it.
4. I can tell that I am up and running after the Apple logo and progress bar because the disc is spinning and when I press the "return" key I get a system sound.
5. I have access the HD of my hackintosh remotely from my laptop, but I can't write to the drive because of Authentication and I can't figure out how to add the lilu.kext & WhatEverGreen.kext directly to the L/E/ folder.

So, this is where I am. I feel very close. OH, I bought an AMD Radeon 5700 XT GPU

Any help will be appreciated!

I was having the same black screen problem.
The only way I fixed was conecting a HDMI cable direct to the motherboard, updated Lilu and Whatevergreen + Clover, cleaned lots of kexts I had and left only the ones I couldnt delete. After that, I can boot using agdpmod=pikera args, but I can't without it. Thanks God and you guys it's working now, but I'd like to boot without using the agdpmod=pikera args everytime, what should I do next?

The only way I fixed was conecting a HDMI cable direct to the motherboard, updated Lilu and Whatevergreen + Clover, cleaned lots of kexts I had and left only the ones I couldnt delete. After that, I can boot using agdpmod=pikera args, but I can't without it. Thanks God and you guys it's working now, but I'd like to boot without using the agdpmod=pikera args everytime, what should I do next?

Download Clover Configurator app check here Clover Configurator in downloads section. Watch the video clip its pretty easy. This will fix it to your config.plist so you don't have to enter it each boot.

Attachments

• Pikera edit.zip
    46.4 MB · Views: 233
Done and dust, thanks a mil man!

What in fact the agdpmod-pikera does? Just curious

Done and dust, thanks a mil man!

What in fact the agdpmod-pikera does? Just curious

it modifies the boot process for graphics initialization (reading of the vbios against the Apple Kexts).
It’s altering the Apple Graphics Power Management kext reading of the cards bios.

it modifies the boot process for graphics initialization (reading of the vbios against the Apple Kexts).
It’s altering the Apple Graphics Power Management kext reading of the cards bios.
I got it.
Everything was working flawless till today, I’m noticing that my computer isn’t booting, no video at all when I turn on and followed by a sound error, I’ve left for a while and tried again, worked, but now having same issue again. Do you have any idea what could that be?

I got it.
Everything was working flawless till today, I’m noticing that my computer isn’t booting, no video at all when I turn on and followed by a sound error, I’ve left for a while and tried again, worked, but now having same issue again. Do you have any idea what could that be?

Check your Clover EFI folder see if there is CSMdre.efi? driver in Drivers UEFI folder. remove it if its there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back