2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been running this build for four years:
- Asus X99 Pro USB 3.1
- Core i7 5820K
- 128 GB DDR4
- OS X 10.12.6

I installed a Zotec Geforce 730 recently and after the clover menu, OS X boots, I see all of my peripherals light up, my audio interfaces connect, then I get a black screen, and shortly after that the computer shuts down.

I have no idea where to begin.

Which graphics card did you remove and replace with the GT 730?
  • Where there any config.plist settings left over from the old card?
  • Did you have any specific kexts installed for the old card?
Which Chip does your GT 730 use? If you can boot windows, I would suggest you use GPU-Z to confirm the Nvidia Chip on your Zotec card. The macOS recommended/working version of the GT 730 uses a GK208 chip. If your card doesn't use the same chip then it will not be supported under macOS.

How are you connecting the display to the GT 730, DVI, HDMI or VGA connector?

VGA ports are not supported in macOS. HDMI ports can be flakey and require frame buffer patching (that may only be AMD cards), as Apple don't use them in their systems. So if possible I would recommend you use the DVI port to connect to the display.

Which graphics card did you remove and replace with the GT 730?
  • Where there any config.plist settings left over from the old card?
  • Did you have any specific kexts installed for the old card?
Which Chip does your GT 730 use? If you can boot windows, I would suggest you use GPU-Z to confirm the Nvidia Chip on your Zotec card. The macOS recommended/working version of the GT 730 uses a GK208 chip. If your card doesn't use the same chip then it will not be supported under macOS.

How are you connecting the display to the GT 730, DVI, HDMI or VGA connector?

VGA ports are not supported in macOS. HDMI ports can be flakey and require frame buffer patching (that may only be AMD cards), as Apple don't use them in their systems. So if possible I would recommend you use the DVI port to connect to the display.
Thanks for your reply. Turns out I had two issues: 1) I had my main monitor on the HDMI port and a second monitor connected to the VGA port, I switched this second one to one to DVI, 2) my main boot drive was giving an "invalid node structure" error.

I was able to boot from a backup drive where I then noticed the issue and fixed the main drive errors following the instructions here: https://technology.siprep.org/fix-invalid-node-structure-error-in-macos/

I had to run the fsck command several times before it succeeded.

Can you mark this thread as solved, if you have resolved the reason for the initial post.

Can you mark this thread as solved, if you have resolved the reason for the initial post.
I'd be happy to; how do I update the status?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back