Contribute
Register

Black Screen on Installer with X58 and Radeon 7770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some more research it appears that this error has something to do with Nvidia cards which is odd since I have a Radeon 7770. Now I'm even more confused.
Your research may be flawed as this is often the last visible line with any graphics problem (not restricted to Nvidia).
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3 hs 0, bs 0, sm 0x0

You should concentrate on Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen or use supported hardware.

Good to know that it's not Nvidia specific.

You should concentrate on Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen or use supported hardware.
AFAIK the Radeon 7770 is supported hardware (I believe it's even Metal compatible for Mojave). I've read threads with two people having the exact same hardware and one person's works and one doesn't. Sometimes these things just happen I guess, and I drew the short straw.

I'm going to try disabling SIP and see if that helps, it couldn't hurt in any case. Failing that I can do more research on lilu.

I'm going to try disabling SIP and see if that helps, it couldn't hurt in any case.
SIP should be disabled to ensure that unsigned kexts can load.

I think I've made progress. I disabled SIP and I had someone help me with direct injecting my video card. Now I don't get the 2-3 minute delay before the clover screen shows up. I had read somewhere that the delay meant your video card wasn't being initialized properly. I still get the black screen though, but it's progress nonetheless.

I think I will try using WhateverGreen again (I removed it for the direct injection method which used ATI Inject) but keep SIP disabled. Maybe that was blocking Lilu and WhateverGreen from working? I think I'm close here.

I've really had no luck here the last couple of days. I've tried direct video injection, Lilu/WhateverGreen, ritualistic sacrifice, but nothing has worked. Is it possible that my boot key could be corrupt? I'd think that UniBeast would have thrown an error if something was wrong, but I don't know for sure.

Now that I have a working copy of High Sierra I can boot into with my GTX 260, I can spend some more time exploring why the 7770 isn't working. From everything I've read Lilu and WhateverGreen should work, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong with the boot arguments or Kext Injection. I'll have to play around with the options and see.

So far no luck. It seems that whatever combination of kext and boot flags I try doesn't seem to make a difference. Currently I'm using Lilu and WhateverGreen (latest versions) and the arguments -lilubetaall and radpg=15 (I've also tried radeondeinit) but I still get a black screen with both DVI and HDMI. From what I've read it seems that Lilu and WhateverGreen work for ~80% of people but the other 20% get the black screen issue. At this point I'm stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Since this is no longer an installation question. I'm going to start a different thread in the Graphics Card forum. This one can be closed if need be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back