Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Black Screen on High Sierra with NITRO+ RX 580 (Legacy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n
CPU
Intel Xeon X5472
Graphics
SAPPHIRE Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8G G5 SE
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi guys,

I have a Macbook Pro 13 (2012) that I use for my programming work (still very capable) and now I started to video editing.
It does an acceptable job with 4K@30fps H.264 videos in FCPX. But now I need to edit 4K@60fps HEVC (H.265) videos so I bought a new GPU for my legacy system and since one month from now, I'm trying everything to get my first hackintosh to work.

This is my legacy system:
  • Motherboard: ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe
  • CPU: Intel Xeon X5472 (LGA 771 to 775 mod)
  • GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB Special Edition
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

UNIBEAST:
✅ Created a bootable USB Install macOS High Sierra for legacy system.

SMBIOS:
✅ Tried different ones (mainly iMac14,2).

BOOT ARGUMENTS:
✅ dart=0, nv_disable=1, -v, ncpi=0x3000

GRAPHIC CONFIGURATIONS:
✅ Version 1: Install Lilu+WEG kexts on EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
✅ Version 2: Framebuffer Orinoco + 5 ports + Inject ATI (tried with and without Lilu kext).

OUTPUT:
✅ My screen is working just fine while installing macOs in every steps (note: partition with APFS+GUID).
❎ My screen goes black when booting to macOs (I get: "gIOScreenLockState: 3" before black screen).

Here is my clover file and a screenshot after the black screen.

Thank you in advance for your help, this forum is amazing!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_2020-08-25-13-37-51-165_com.miui.gallery.jpeg
    Screenshot_2020-08-25-13-37-51-165_com.miui.gallery.jpeg
    810 KB · Views: 54
Since macOS High Sierra, AMD drivers require SSE 4.2 instructions to be loaded which your CPU does not support. For the workaround, I suggest that you install MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and use this link to download MouSSE.kext that emulates SSE 4.2 instruction and copy it to your kext folder. This kext may not work on High Sierra but tested to work on Mojave 10.14.6 or above. Also, you can use telemtrap kext to bypass SSE 4.2 check without deleting the com.apple.telemetry or replacing it for High Sierra version everytime you make update(This applies to macOS Mojave or above).

Edit: Make sure to use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 to enable dGPU encode/decode. (Requires macOS Mojave 10.14.4 or above)

Last edited:
@juseon123 YOU'RE THE MAN, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :clap:

I already tried this solution by placing MouSSE on High Sierra, but unfortunately without success.

So as you stated that it should work with Mojave or above, I tried Catalina right away. And it's working like charm.

I thought it was going to be difficult or even impossible, because of it's a legacy system. But here I am writing from my first hackintosh. Thank you once again!

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2020-08-26, às 12.09.58.png
    Captura de ecrã 2020-08-26, às 12.09.58.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back