Contribute
Register

Black Screen on boot. ATI 7870. Works after sleep. Fresh vanilla 10.4.6 install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
PC1: gigabyte z77x-ud5h PC2:msi h87-g43
CPU
PC1: i5 3570K PC2: i3 4130T
Graphics
PC1: GTX 1060 PC2: ATI 7850
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks to everyone on this forum for the amazing level of help you've all provided me these last few days. I got both the computers in my profile basically working 100%. This quarantine has gotten me crossing out things on my to do list and getting osx installed was one of them!

My problem is with my second build in my profile. Specs are:

• MSI H87-G43 w/ BIOS 2.A
  • Saphire Radeon 7870 2GB
  • Intel HD4000
  • Opencore 0.5.7
  • Used this guide and it worked nearly 100% - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/
    • The only problem I can see (so far) and this and that I can't use keyboard or mouse to wake PC from sleep, must press power. Sound works, Both video cards work (after sleep work around)
So I followed the guide listed above and once the installer launched I got a black screen. Decided to try on board only and was able to install. Finished install and tested a few things. ATI card was listed in system information so I decided to plug HDMI into it and see if I had output. It did work at this point so I was feeling real great. I moved my EFI files from USB to HDD and rebooted. Everything looked fine but then I had same black screen as before during install. It seems like it still puts out a signal because my display stays lit but no picture. Plugged HDMI back into onboard and I had display again. At this point I remember that I did not set my card as headless so I switched that in my config.plist and rebooted. This time I also got black screen but also wasn't able to use onboard port either. Display reported no signal when using onboard at this point so I switched back and decided to just let it sit and think about it. I walked away for awhile and when I came back the computer was asleep. I couldn't use keyboard to wake so I assumed it crashed and pressed power. To my surprise I was given a login window! So I've tried enabling and disabling the onboard video, setting onboard to initialize first and deleting the gfx device settings from my config.plist. None of that seems to help. I can either enable my onboard to work then move the HDMI or set it to headless and I have to wait for computer to sleep and then wake it up to get it to show anything. I will attached my config.plist and a picture of my efi folder for help with this issue.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• config.plist
    20.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.05.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.05.03 PM.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 114
update - Without making any software changes at all, I am able to boot into OS X without any workarounds using a DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter. Still curious if anyone knows why HDMI isn't getting activated until after sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back