Contribute
Register

Black screen halfway the boot screen (with Nvidia Web Drivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey everbody,

I posted already some stuff in existing threads like Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems
but I created this thread so I don't have to mess around with other people posting in those other threads.

My problem is that after installing the Nvidia Web Drivers, I receive a black screen when the boot progress bar is halfway full. I did multiple reinstalls of macOS Sierra, used AGPDFix.app, set appropriate flags in Clover such as "NvidiaWeb", "nv_disable=1" etc. and post-installed stuff with MultiBeast (like Ethernet drivers, Sound drivers, SMBIOS (which is
iMac14,2)).

My MultiBeast selected settings to install:
6216df239b.png

I've already been writing with @slim.jim trying to solve the issue, but still haven't found any solutions yet.

My build:
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790k
  • Graphics card: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
In BIOS, CFG Lock and VT-D is disabled and the primary graphics is set to PEG.
I also flashed the newest BIOS version (1.C0)

macOS Sierra is installed on my second HDD which also has an EFI partition for Sierra (The MultiBeast installations worked well)

I followed this guide and used this driver.
A 1080p monitor is connected to my graphics card via HDMI.

I really need help. I'm sort of starting to lose hope on fixing this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I haven't been able to help, we have basically the same build and the only difference, besides board model, is I am using a DisplayPort connection.

You sound like you did your homework, so I don't have a lot ideas to add. Here are a few:
  • Make sure your iGPU is disabled (MultiMonitor disabled in UEFI)
  • Verify that Inject / Nvidia is actually disabled and your SMBIOS is correct before activating the drivers (make a screenshot of "About your Mac" in case you're unsure
  • Find out if your machine "just" boots to black screen (=> system running, just no display) or if it crashed in late boot stage

To be thorough, I just swapped out my DisplayPort cable for an HDMI cable and still had no problems booting.

Last edited:
I have the same problems with my X99 system but no problems with my Z170 system.
It appears from what I have read the only common denominator is Sierra. Different cables, graphic cards, motherboards, CPU etc provide no relief. Even then different Sierra systems (release and subsequent beta versions) can yield different results such as I have experienced and live with.
I cannot find a common element here that may point to a specific or group of elements.
I am now downloading Beta 5 on the system that does work. If the nvidia drivers do not work I will report back otherwise assume that Beta 5 on a Z170 system is working (or can work for those that don't have it working)

Rebooted with Beta 5 now I am locked in at a resolution that is not even worth mentioning!
Aside from the beta 5 update, the web driver that I modified for Beta 4 is now not compatible...so I will make it compatible and see what the effect is...

I have the same problems with my X99 system but no problems with my Z170 system.
It appears from what I have read the only common denominator is Sierra. Different cables, graphic cards, motherboards, CPU etc provide no relief. Even then different Sierra systems (release and subsequent beta versions) can yield different results such as I have experienced and live with.
I cannot find a common element here that may point to a specific or group of elements.
I am now downloading Beta 5 on the system that does work. If the nvidia drivers do not work I will report back otherwise assume that Beta 5 on a Z170 system is working (or can work for those that don't have it working)

In this case the difference between the OP and my system is the board, Gaming 7 vs Gaming 9. That's it.

I was thinking about to use iMac 15,1 because in the Clover Configurator, it says "iMac (15,1) - i5-4690/i7-4790K".
@slim.jim You said, that you were using iMac 14,2, right?
@Fl0r!an How do I check whether it's running or not? I can't shutdown macOS by using Ctrl + F12 or Ctrl + Alt + Windows-Key + F12. Using a windows keyboard here.

BIOS screenshot

e7a5af104c.bmp

EDIT: It seems like the OS is running as I could enter my password, use Windows key (Cmd) + Spacebar, type in terminal and use "sudo reboot" blindly. Of course, the PC restarted again. Black screen still remains.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-20 um 14.08.43.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-20 um 14.08.43.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-20 um 14.14.40.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-10-20 um 14.14.40.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I was thinking about to use iMac 15,1 because in the Clover Configurator, it says "iMac (15,1) - i5-4690/i7-4790K".
@slim.jim You said, that you were using iMac 14,2, right?

I have used both iMac15,1 and iMac14,2. Currently I am using iMac14,2 as the Clover patch for AGDP doesn't work and I prefer not to modify system kext directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back