Contribute
Register

Black screen for BIOS, monitor won't handshake with graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
CPU
I7-870
Graphics
HD 5870
So, I have a X570 TUF Gaming WiFi with a RX 5500 XT graphics card. It's a vanilla AMD install.
I upgraded monitors and I'm running a 2560x1440 and a 3440x1440. Everything is doing well. I tried to go into BIOS, I get the splashscreen with the 'press F2 or delete to enter BIOS'. But, when I do, the screen goes blank. Apparently the BIOS can only display at low resolution, and, if the monitor and GPU don't handshake at this lower res, then it doesn't work.

I've tried using only one of my monitors, changing from DisplayPort to HDMI, changing from DisplayPort 1.2 to 1.1...I'm just running out of ideas. Do I need to buy an old, low-res monitor to make this work?

No, you probably need to go and look on the Manufacturer's support forum for similar issues to what you are seeing with your motherboard. To see if the board manufacturer has released a fix or bios update.

It would be complete and utter nonsense for you to have to use a low-res monitor to access the BIOS. The basic drivers used by the BIOS should be used by the dGPU to 'handshake' with the monitor, no mater what connector or cable you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back