i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi guys,

I've been searching for 2 days how to fix my Catalina installation, tried many solutions... But it's still broken...
I've installed a clean Mojave on my build, restored my time machine backup and checked, everything was working fine.

I tried to upgrade Clover from 4910 to 5200 and I was unable to boot Mojave. So I copied the one from the bootable USB key.

After that, I upraded to Catalina via the AppStore and I think I had no problem during the install.

But now, like many others, I am stuck with a black screen after boot.

I tried to boot with the latest versions of WEG and Lilu, in L/E directory and/or in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other but still black screen.
I rechecked my BIOS setup many times...

I have 2 monitors plugged in HDMI and DP. Dual boot with Windows. CGU is a MSI RX 480.

Ice

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Have you tried booting with agdpmod=pikera as mentioned here?

Ice

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I am really not an expert on this. I can only tell you what I did.

Btw, do you still have Clover 4910 installed? Some Posts here suggest that you need to upgrade to a 5x version to be able to boot Catalina.

When I was experiencing issues with my graphics card booting v5100 (no matter what drivers/settings I used during install), I tried v4961 from the Downloads section and it worked for me.
What I did was update Clover on the Unibeast USB key (just pkg install and change destination during install) to v4961.
With that key I was able to boot and noticed no graphics issues anymore. Since the system would not let me install v4961 to disk directly under Catalina, I used Clover configurator to Clone the EFI partition from the USB key to disk.
After booting this version from disk I did a clover update to v5100 with just the default settings and my system now boots v5100 fine with no graphics issues anymore.

As I said, I am really not an expert and I still don't really understand why it worked this way, but not with a regular Clover update, but it did. :mrgreen:

Ice

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Also make sure you have your kexts (WEG, Lilu, AppleALC) only in one place, either /Library Extensions OR EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other.

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming GT
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hey Ice,

I am so sorry to tell you (and to admit) that I gave up...
I went back on a Mojave install which I know is working.
But I keep all your advices to when I decide to upgrade in the future

Thank you for the time you spent on my case ^^.

Happy new year