Contribute
Register

Black Screen Catalina Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...

If the result is as your picture in post #1 then the system isn't actually crashing.

What type of HDD/SSD are you installing to? Generally the hardware you show in your Profile should be easy to hackintosh.

What to do:

1) Check the Partition/Format you are using for your destination drive. Disconnect any other drives for the time being.

2) Run the UniBeast installer and at the Tools menu use Disk Util to check it.

3) Run the installer, do not use Single-user mode. For boot-arguments just keep: dart=0 and agdpmod=pikera for now.

4) Did you place Lilu and Whatevergreen on the UniBeast installer drive? Obviously you would have to do that on the machine you used to create the UniBeast installer :thumbup:. You could also try cursoring down to the Options menu in Clover and finding the DeInit setting and selecting that.

5) If you get another black screen, check if USB is still working. Do you have a Caps-Lock LED on your keyboard? Does it still turn on or off? This would indicate if the system is running but the GPU is not initialising.

6) If all fails then try using the motherboard iGPU output for your display. Disable the GPU in BIOS and set iGPU as Primary with a DVMT of 64 or 128MB if available. This might be tricky to boot so you could disconnect the GPU power lead temporarily (Maybe?).That's your choice obviously.

:)

I haven’t got to the stage of selecting the install drive. But it will be an NVME m.2 drive

how do I do dart & the pikera in the same line from the Clover booter options?
latest Lilu and WEG have been added to the folder

I’ll try the iGPU and caps lock check and get back to you

edit: turned on iGPU in Bios, same result. However, Caps lock light wasn’t working during the loading screen, but began working after the screen went black...so implies the screen going black is caused by a change of some sort. I’m guessing the next screen in the process pops up and for whatever reason my system doesn’t like it?

might just leave it running on the black screen for a bit and see if anything happens

Last edited:
New update!

Seems like I've been trying to boot from the old catalina install on the SSD partition on the hackintosh machine, not the USB (doh!!)

So now I'm attempting to boot, but just getting the apple screen with no loading bar - Any suggestions?

Might seem like a dumb question, but I had similar issues with my H370M. What cable do you use to connect your computer and monitor?. Is it Passive or Active?.

Might seem like a dumb question, but I had similar issues with my H370M. What cable do you use to connect your computer and monitor?. Is it Passive or Active?.

I use an HDMI cable - Not sure what you mean by passive/active?

New update!

Seems like I've been trying to boot from the old catalina install on the SSD partition on the hackintosh machine, not the USB (doh!!)

So now I'm attempting to boot, but just getting the apple screen with no loading bar - Any suggestions?

Ah, so not what you confirmed in post #9 ?

I use an HDMI cable - Not sure what you mean by passive/active?
Some cables can be active or passive depending on there application, ask the google. For example, last week I installed a Gigabyte RX570, I was getting black screens, just the logo and no progress bar. turns out I was using an 'Active' DP to HDMI cable. When I tried a 'Passive' DP to HDMI cable, it worked. Also check in Clover Configurator to see if CsrActiveConfig is set 0x67, that was something I tried.

1DDB9916-761B-41E4-AE8D-1D32D83CE4E4.jpeg

This is the current Verbose if that helps?

I was using an 'Active' DP to HDMI cable. When I tried a 'Passive' DP to HDMI cable, it worked.
Which brand of active DP to HDMI cable were you using ?

Which brand of active DP to HDMI cable were you using ?

I was using the one on the left, UVOOI Active. I am now using the one you recommended from Amazon.

IMG_1798.JPG
Untitled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back