Contribute
Register

Black Screen Catalina Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made changes to EFI, back to kernel panic as before. Not even to Catalina install dialog.

I'll try a different download, overnight...

Mojave - no one has a link to download Mojave directly do they? Every link I've got takes me to App Store, and all my devices have Catalina already - so I can't download Mojave (unless someone knows a way around this?)

I did have the SATA drive connected with a Mavericks backup, but disconnected that now. The SSD was a clan drive, then erased again (AFPS format) with disk utility before install started - completely clean.

Bios was date I changed to to see if the Catalina install issues was date, now returned to current date and time.

Still have a kernel panic :banghead:

Edit - Mojave is downloading as I type

Ok, so:
  1. I downloaded Mojave 10.14.6 (14.6.06 in file info)
  2. Used Unibeast 9.3.0 to create install
  3. I opened clover config, replaced the EFI with my previous EFI
  4. Checked drivers and kexts were correct
  5. Tried to install
  6. Result - same kernel panic

Then
  1. Rebuilt the install USB from scratch again using Unibeast 9.3.0
  2. I opened clover config, rebuilt configuration from scratch using suggested settings as before
  3. Checked drivers and kexts were correct
  4. Tried to install
  5. Result - clover boot manager comes up, I click to boot from my install usb - apple logo appears, then progress bar, then machine reboots.
  6. Tried a few times, same each time.

Hi there.

Well you could always copy the EFI folder from your USB Installer drive into your main drive EFI partition. That will take all the USB settings with it.

Otherwise:

To check Ethernet and Audio go to About this Mac / System Report and see if any hardware for either is showing. If so it's just configuration. If not you need the same drivers/kexts as on the USB Installer drive.

Check your config.plist for Audio ID.

Did you use MultiBeast 12.1 ?

:)
Hi thanks for the info. I tried changing the boot time out to zero as mentioned in a earlier post and that seemed to work. When I click on shut down and click off the shut down times it takes about 30 sec before I actually see the so outer starting to shut down but that’s fine.

Sorry for the confusion. Basically I think I have somehow accidentally put an installer or something onto my SSD with Clover (don't ask me how this happened - Which is what has been running and causing my initial issue).

Then I successfully booted from my USB (following the guide), but the USB boot just goes to an apple logo without any loading bar.

Am I making more sense?

and to answer questions, no I haven't tried to install without my GPU

So did you actually get it working or did you find a fix? I'm still on mojave and I had the same problem as you with an i7-3770 and an rx 480. I tried different aptio fixes as well but to no avail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back