Contribute
Register

Black Screen Catalina Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT - Good News :thumbup: I had just written the following when your reply beat me to it ...

Well I've never seen that before - "OsxAptipFixDrv" It looks as though there's a miss-typed name in the drivers folder. A bit odd but probably not the problem.

Even so, it is pointing towards memory allocation as I advised previously. Different hardware required different Aptio fixes, and there are several. For Catalina there is a new "borrow" from the OpenCore bootloader that will work in Clover, but to start with try AptioMemoryFix, then maybe OsxAptioFix2Drv. Even OsxAptioFix3. But steer clear of the "Free-2000" version.

:)

Thank again.

New problem, at the end of the install it said that the copy of Catalina was damaged (only downloaded two days ago on my other computer - an actual Mac). So I figured I'd try changing the date as this post suggested for Mojave: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-cant-be-used-to-install-macos.285857/page-2, and now I get this screen - is it likely to be because of date or the 90% install?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_225300_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20200329_225300_HDR (1).jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 49
Thank again.

New problem, at the end of the install it said that the copy of Catalina was damaged (only downloaded two days ago on my other computer - an actual Mac). So I figured I'd try changing the date as this post suggested for Mojave: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-cant-be-used-to-install-macos.285857/page-2, and now I get this screen - is it likely to be because of date or the 90% install?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

No, I don't think the problem is your date. Not for Catalina anyway. But clearly it isn't happy about something.

You have a serious panic going on there. It still looks like memory allocation to me. Did you download the latest 10.15.4 version?

Why not upload your EFI folder for checking (remove serial-numbers from config.plist but otherwise leave intact). OR you could use the Problem Reporting Files script.

Hi there.

No, I don't think the problem is your date. Not for Catalina anyway. But clearly it isn't happy about something.

You have a serious panic going on there. It still looks like memory allocation to me. Did you download the latest 10.15.4 version?

Why not upload your EFI folder for checking (remove serial-numbers from config.plist but otherwise leave intact). OR you could use the Problem Reporting Files script.

It's odd. I downloaded it 2 days ago and believed it to be the latest version. The information from the install file says it is 15.4.01 (I expect meaning 10.15.4 iteration 1), and that it was created March 17th (not the date I downloaded it), and it's 8.23GB file - where as the new update according to App Store is 4.9GB for 10.15.4.

My EFI is attached

Attachments

• danpardy EFI.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 67
It's odd. I downloaded it 2 days ago and believed it to be the latest version. The information from the install file says it is 15.4.01 (I expect meaning 10.15.4 iteration 1), and that it was created March 17th (not the date I downloaded it), and it's 8.23GB file - where as the new update according to App Store is 4.9GB for 10.15.4.

My EFI is attached

No serious problems that stick out. Bit of a mystery this one.

A few "thoughts" after checking the EFI. Nothing compulsory, just my pointers:

iMac13,2 instead of iMac13,1

No USB ports configuration in place - except a High Sierra port-limit removal patch and EHC renames

Notice mention of Mavericks OS X in there.

Consider using the "AppleImageCodec.efi" file in your drivers/UEFI folder to pair with ApfsDriverLoader.efi - it supports it.

In the ACPI section of your config.plist set the Generate Options PluginType to /true. If you use Clover Configurator it's more visual -

PIs.jpg

As I say, these are gentle observations, not necessary a cure for your problem.

To be honest, with what I've seen so far, I'm not sure what's going wrong ... Must be some thing we are missing.

The main installer from the App Store app is over 8GB, true, the combo point upgrade from Software Update is much smaller :thumbup:

P.S Is the GT430 still installed? Just re-read post #32.

No serious problems that stick out. Bit of a mystery this one.

A few "thoughts" after checking the EFI. Nothing compulsory, just my pointers:

iMac13,2 instead of iMac13,1

No USB ports configuration in place - except a High Sierra port-limit removal patch and EHC renames

Notice mention of Mavericks OS X in there.

Consider using the "AppleImageCodec.efi" file in your drivers/UEFI folder to pair with ApfsDriverLoader.efi - it supports it.

In the ACPI section of your config.plist set the Generate Options PluginType to /true. If you use Clover Configurator it's more visual -

View attachment 458234

As I say, these are gentle observations, not necessary a cure for your problem.

To be honest, with what I've seen so far, I'm not sure what's going wrong ... Must be some thing we are missing.

Thank you so much! I'm in the process of having another stab at an install, and if it doesn't work, I'll make those changes and see how I get on.

Hello so i just finished a clean install of Catalina and i was having problems getting into OS without the USB boot drive, I tried changing the boot loaders a few times and then realized was running and saving the Multibeast on the iCloud drive because I had selected that option during the install.I moved to the Download folder and now i can get it to boot directly without the usb but haven't gotten network and audio to work without usb boot. Network works with the usb boot but not when booted directly.

Thank you so much! I'm in the process of having another stab at an install, and if it doesn't work, I'll make those changes and see how I get on.

Same issue with broken OS again. Hangs at end of install for 10mins saying it has 2 mins remaining, then this dialog box appears. Time to clean up my EFI partition....

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_000555_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200330_000555_HDR.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 57
Hello so i just finished a clean install of Catalina and i was having problems getting into OS without the USB boot drive, I tried changing the boot loaders a few times and then realized was running and saving the Multibeast on the iCloud drive because I had selected that option during the install.I moved to the Download folder and now i can get it to boot directly without the usb but haven't gotten network and audio to work without usb boot. Network works with the usb boot but not when booted directly.

Hi there.

Well you could always copy the EFI folder from your USB Installer drive into your main drive EFI partition. That will take all the USB settings with it.

Otherwise:

To check Ethernet and Audio go to About this Mac / System Report and see if any hardware for either is showing. If so it's just configuration. If not you need the same drivers/kexts as on the USB Installer drive.

Check your config.plist for Audio ID.

Did you use MultiBeast 12.1 ?

Sam issue with broken OS again. Hangs at end of install for 10mins saying it has 2 mins remaining, then this dialog box appears. Time to clean up my EFI partition....

Hmmm....

I know this sounds obvious but ... Have you tried re-downloading the installer?

Did you fully partition the destination?

Why was there a reference to Mavericks?

Any other drives attached? Any other EFI partitions?

Yes, that error can be caused by an expired certificate, but it isn't likely to be true for this version macOS.

Simple point - check the system/BIOS date. Not a year out by any chance?

A clean drive and a clean installer built with UniBeast 10 on your hardware - less the GT430 - should be a goer. macOS Catalina was specced for iMac 2012 onwards.

If all else fails can you try Mojave 10.14.6?

o_O

Made changes to EFI, back to kernel panic as before. Not even to Catalina install dialog.

I'll try a different download, overnight...

Mojave - no one has a link to download Mojave directly do they? Every link I've got takes me to App Store, and all my devices have Catalina already - so I can't download Mojave (unless someone knows a way around this?)

I did have the SATA drive connected with a Mavericks backup, but disconnected that now. The SSD was a clan drive, then erased again (AFPS format) with disk utility before install started - completely clean.

Bios was date I changed to to see if the Catalina install issues was date, now returned to current date and time.

Still have a kernel panic :banghead:

Edit - Mojave is downloading as I type

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back