Contribute
Register

Black Screen Catalina Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid question - But how would I repartition the SSD on the hackintosh build without any access to the OS?

How would I access an earlier version of Catalina?

Not stupid at all, easier than you think. Just use your UniBeast installer. Boot it, select "External" as the boot device. When the Installer comes up DON'T start it but go to the Tools menu and select 'Disk Utility'. You can then prepare your destination drive.

As for an earlier copy of the Catalina installer - unless you made a copy when you previously installed - that's no-go. Use your previous Mojave installer instead.

I have a similar problem to the OP.

I had a working version of mavericks, built a Unibeast install with Catalina, and attempted a fresh install. I get the same verbose screen as shown in post 17 (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-catalina-install.294313/post-2092926).

My bios settings are as described in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...gabytes-7-series-lga-1155-motherboards.63276/, and I've included Apple ALC, Atheros Ethernet, USB Inject All, Virtual SMC, Lilu and WEG kexts, as well as drivers advised in other posts, such as using apfsdriverloader, audioDxe, osxAptiofix, and VirtualSMC (no fake SMC).

I've read threads for hours online, and tried tweaking various parts of the config and change drivers and kexts, but nothing, not even the clover boot manager screen. i had to remove my Geforce GT430 as it caused issues at boot, I believe it's a Firma chip and I've heard it's not compatible anyway, so using internal graphics now. Getting to Bios and Boot selector is fine, but when I choose the installer I get the verbose screen as described.

I've also formatted the SSD, which had Maverick on in case that was causing a conflict, I've tried APFS and Mac OS Extended file formats on the erased SSD, still no luck...

Any tips would be appreciative. I'd rather not go back to Mavericks desktop as have a Catalina Laptop.

Not stupid at all, easier than you think. Just use your UniBeast installer. Boot it, select "External" as the boot device. When the Installer comes up DON'T start it but go to the Tools menu and select 'Disk Utility'. You can then prepare your destination drive.

As for an earlier copy of the Catalina installer - unless you made a copy when you previously installed - that's no-go. Use your previous Mojave installer instead.

by “boot it” - do you mean put the USB in thehackintosh and go to BIOS to select “external”?

I have a similar problem to the OP.

I had a working version of mavericks, built a Unibeast install with Catalina, and attempted a fresh install. I get the same verbose screen as shown in post 17 (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-catalina-install.294313/post-2092926).

My bios settings are as described in https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...gabytes-7-series-lga-1155-motherboards.63276/, and I've included Apple ALC, Atheros Ethernet, USB Inject All, Virtual SMC, Lilu and WEG kexts, as well as drivers advised in other posts, such as using apfsdriverloader, audioDxe, osxAptiofix, and VirtualSMC (no fake SMC).

I've read threads for hours online, and tried tweaking various parts of the config and change drivers and kexts, but nothing, not even the clover boot manager screen. i had to remove my Geforce GT430 as it caused issues at boot, I believe it's a Firma chip and I've heard it's not compatible anyway, so using internal graphics now. Getting to Bios and Boot selector is fine, but when I choose the installer I get the verbose screen as described.

I've also formatted the SSD, which had Maverick on in case that was causing a conflict, I've tried APFS and Mac OS Extended file formats on the erased SSD, still no luck...

Any tips would be appreciative. I'd rather not go back to Mavericks desktop as have a Catalina Laptop.

Hi there.

Forgive me, but I doubt your verbose output would be the same as the one you link to as your motherboard and CPU are different, however if you actually mean the long line of "++++++++++" etc, then yes, that's common problem.

Check your UniBeast install. How did you create it? It needs the AptioMemoryFix.efi driver file for correct memory management not OsxAptioFix1/2/3Drv etc. as you list. UniBeast 10 will install the correct version.:thumbup:

:)

Hi there.

Forgive me, but I doubt your verbose output would be the same as the one you link to as your motherboard and CPU are different, however if you actually mean the long line of "++++++++++" etc, then yes, that's common problem.

Check your UniBeast install. How did you create it? It needs the AptioMemoryFix.efi driver file for correct memory management not OsxAptioFix1/2/3Drv etc. as you list. UniBeast 10 will install the correct version.:thumbup:

Thanks! I'll check the AptioMemoryFix again, I think I tried that before and no luck, but worth a shot.

I hd two similar verbose message screens. Yes, along the lines of, but very similar. See attached.

Attachments

• Verbose message screen 2.jpg
    Verbose message screen 2.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 34
  • Verbose message screen 1.jpg
    Verbose message screen 1.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 43
Thanks! I'll check the AptioMemoryFix again, I think I tried that before and no luck, but worth a shot.

I hd two similar verbose message screens. Yes, along the lines of, but very similar. See attached.

Facepalm - it worked. Originally I must have had AptioMemoryFix loaded with one of the osx drivers that was causing a clash....

Thank you!

EDIT - Good News :thumbup: I had just written the following when your reply beat me to it ...

Well I've never seen that before - "OsxAptipFixDrv" It looks as though there's a miss-typed name in the drivers folder. A bit odd but probably not the problem.

Even so, it is pointing towards memory allocation as I advised previously. Different hardware required different Aptio fixes, and there are several. For Catalina there is a new "borrow" from the OpenCore bootloader that will work in Clover, but to start with try AptioMemoryFix, then maybe OsxAptioFix2Drv. Even OsxAptioFix3. But steer clear of the "Free-2000" version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back