Motherboard
CPU
2.94 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello. I have been running a Hackintosh desktop built - not by me - in about November 2011.

It is running 10.8.2 Mountain Lion.

It was built with this site's tools (Unibeast). The tomato logo appears during boot options, as does the word "Chimera."

I avoided updating the OS, not wanting to break the system, and performance got slower over time as programs like Firefox updated. (I had always wanted to update the OS but without risking breaking the computer and losing my files.)

I switched to a more current HP Desktop PC this year (cheap Wal-Mart $300 computer) and did not use the Hackintosh for several months.

I also did not back up most of what's on the Hackintosh, so I booted it back up today to work on it for awhile and back things up generally.

I am now getting a black screen on bootup, which doesn't seem to go away. It boots up for awhile, giving the BIOS logo and options and the grey Mac logo, but goes black around the time that the boot would normally complete.

The Caps Lock light on the keyboard is functional during this time, suggesting that the computer is also functional but not outputting video.

Booting in verbose mode gives different text for the HDD and (what I think is the) USB drive (the HDD startup took about 3 minutes!), but eventually goes to black screen at the end of the process, without any obvious error messages.

Here is the last thing I see when booting HDD in verbose mode (after 3 minutes and many screens of text).

According to online sources, the mention of Bluetooth means that bootup is probably otherwise complete, but is failing to initialize graphics.

Booting in safe mode adds a (slow moving!) progress bar to the grey Mac bootup screen but that's about it.

I use an old Cintiq drawing tablet as a monitor, which can be a little finicky, sometimes crashing/hanging when the computer itself does not, but I doubt that's the problem here. Restarting the monitor does not fix the issue.

After clicking f8, the blue boot menu displays the CD-ROM (DVD-ROM) drive first, with c at the end of its name, then the HDD, then a USB: General USB Flash Disk which in theory is a Chameleon Boot Disk that I've just created for troubleshooting purposes.

Booting from any of these options seems to have the same result, with Mac logo then black screen. That's a little odd as the DVD drive is empty?

On boot options, the tomato logo appears with this text:

Darwin/x86 boot v.5.0.132 Chimera v1.11.1 r1394
Build date 2012-8-8 21:15:51
3582MB MB

Below are two boot options: Mac and "GPT Unknown" (probably the empty DVD-ROM drive, but listed as "foreign OS").

CPU: 2.94 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics: GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB

All the graphics options in the tomato boot options list "NVidia." My card is not NVidia.

UPDATE:

I tried boot flags GraphicsEnabler=Yes and GraphicsEnabler=No without success.

However, some combination of these boot flags seems to have resulted in a successful boot.

-v -f -x GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 busratio=33 nv_disable=1

But this also disables some things about the video that I need to run Final Cut Pro 7 and actually back up some video material.

FCP7 now claims I have 0MB of VRAM, that I do not have a Quartz Extreme capable video card, and that I have a low screen resolution of 1024x768. (I believe the resolution is normally about 1280 wide?)

Putting in the boot flag nv_disable=1 only does result in a similarly "successful" boot.

I then changed the minimum requirements for Final Cut Pro 7 to force that app to open, but it crashes.

Last edited:
Motherboard
CPU
2.94 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Still need help with this. I suspected that my graphics card may have gotten physically disconnected but I see nothing obvious internally and the computer still recognizes it in some ways, just not on startup when it counts.

Motherboard
CPU
2.94 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
After four full days of attempts to boot up the Hackintosh, including an upgrade to Mavericks, the problem persists.