Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Razer Blade 15
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
HD 630, GTX 1070
I currently have a Kaby Lake version of the Razer Blade Stealth (comes with Killer 1535 card). I bought a M.2 (NGFF) version of the Broadcom BCM94352. It is a Dell DW1560 (BCM94352z) and I replaced my wireless card successfully.

My issue is that when I turn on my laptop, I get a black screen. The issue is intermittent (it works sometimes) but here are the details on what happens:

1. Turn on the laptop
2. Razer's OEM logo shows up
3. Black screen on the internal screen

I can always guarantee video output if I hook up HDMI to my laptop (the laptop works fine with HDMI). It seems that only the internal screen goes black.

I can get to OSX sometimes and I can verify that the card does work. However, when I can get into OSX, the internal screen goes black, but the laptop works fine if I connect an HDMI cable or close and open the laptop lid.

I have taken the laptop to a local PC repair shop and they told there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I have already tried a EC reset (turn off laptop, unplug AC adapter, remove battery for 30s) and the issue still persists.
Is there some kind of whitelist or some underlying issue with my laptop? Has anyone seen any odditiy like this before>

I currently have a Kaby Lake version of the Razer Blade Stealth (comes with Killer 1535 card). I bought a M.2 (NGFF) version of the Broadcom BCM94352. It is a Dell DW1560 (BCM94352z) and I replaced my wireless card successfully.

My issue is that when I turn on my laptop, I get a black screen. The issue is intermittent (it works sometimes) but here are the details on what happens:

1. Turn on the laptop
2. Razer's OEM logo shows up
3. Black screen on the internal screen

I can always guarantee video output if I hook up HDMI to my laptop (the laptop works fine with HDMI). It seems that only the internal screen goes black.

I can get to OSX sometimes and I can verify that the card does work. However, when I can get into OSX, the internal screen goes black, but the laptop works fine if I connect an HDMI cable or close and open the laptop lid.

I have taken the laptop to a local PC repair shop and they told there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I have already tried a EC reset (turn off laptop, unplug AC adapter, remove battery for 30s) and the issue still persists.
Is there some kind of whitelist or some underlying issue with my laptop? Has anyone seen any odditiy like this before>

Not a desktop. Moved to laptop support.

Are you saying that sometimes you cannot get to Clover?
Or does the black screen only happen when booting OS X/macOS?

Did you re-extract/re-patch ACPI after making the hardware changes? (always required).

If you're saying the laptop sometimes does not pass POST, perhaps the card is not installed properly (eg. not well seated), or it is defective in some way.

Not a desktop. Moved to laptop support.

Are you saying that sometimes you cannot get to Clover?
Or does the black screen only happen when booting OS X/macOS?

Did you re-extract/re-patch ACPI after making the hardware changes? (always required).

If you're saying the laptop sometimes does not pass POST, perhaps the card is not installed properly (eg. not well seated), or it is defective in some way.
Apologies for the mistake. The laptop does POST, except the internal screen remains black.

The black screen happens even when I boot with windows or Linux. The black screen happens very early on in the boot sequence.

Clover loads up fine but the internal screen is black.

I can use the arrow keys to select the appropriate device (while the screen remains black) and it will boot into OSX just fine. I confirmed this by getting OS X load and use HDMI to get output. OSX displays the login screen on the external monitor but the laptops internal screen is black.

I also get audio from my Bluetooth headphones, so I know OS X is loading properly.

I have tried 4 types of the bcm94352z and every single one of them gives me the same issue. I also tried an older NGFF (Atheros QCNFA335) card and it gives the same issue. The issue does not arise when I use a killer 1535 or intel 8260 card.

Apologies for the mistake. The laptop does POST, except the internal screen remains black.

The black screen happens even when I boot with windows or Linux. The black screen happens very early on in the boot sequence.

Clover loads up fine but the internal screen is black.

I can use the arrow keys to select the appropriate device (while the screen remains black) and it will boot into OSX just fine. I confirmed this by getting OS X load and use HDMI to get output. OSX displays the login screen on the external monitor but the laptops internal screen is black.

I also get audio from my Bluetooth headphones, so I know OS X is loading properly.

I have tried 4 types of the bcm94352z and every single one of them gives me the same issue. I also tried an older NGFF (Atheros QCNFA335) card and it gives the same issue. The issue does not arise when I use a killer 1535 or intel 8260 card.

Sounds like an incompatibility. But you didn't answer my questions, and you didn't provide any "Problem Reporting" files.

If you have out-of-sync ACPI, you could be confusing your EC, which would lead to problems that would require an EC reset to fix. But if you continue to use wrong ACPI files, the problem would just repeat...

To answer your first question, I can get to Clover, except my internal screen is black. This happens for loading Windows and Linux (Ubuntu live USB).

I can re-extract my ACPI files and re-patch.

I may not done my EC reset properly. Just to clarify on the EC reset instructions:
- Ensure that laptop is off
- All power sources are disconnected
- Hold the power button down for 30s after power sources are disconnected?

To answer your first question, I can get to Clover, except my internal screen is black. This happens for loading Windows and Linux (Ubuntu live USB).

So... you see no Clover screen (and you're assuming that you're at the Clover screen but unable to see it)?
You really need to describe things clearly and in detail. No one here is clairvoyant.

I can re-extract my ACPI files and re-patch.

It is necessary whenever:
- you change a BIOS option
- you change hardware
- you upgrade or downgrade BIOS

I may not done my EC reset properly. Just to clarify on the EC reset instructions:
- Ensure that laptop is off
- All power sources are disconnected
- Hold the power button down for 30s after power sources are disconnected?

Yes. And "all power sources" includes the internal battery!

Yes, I do not see the Clover screen, but I assume that Clover has loaded.

Typically, I see the Clover theme after the Razer OEM logo. However, with the Broadcom card installed, I see the Razer OEM logo but the screen goes black after few seconds on the OEM logo.

When the screen goes black, I assume that Clover is running. I use the typical arrow key combination to select the OSX boot drive and attempt to boot.

This works since OSX loads up. I verify this because my Bluetooth headphones work (audio gets played on my headphones letting me know there is a Bluetooth connection). I also verified that OSX boots correctly by plugging in a HDMI cable and I get the proper video output (however my screen is still black). Note, after OSX boots up the internal screen is still black.

Is there any details you require?

Yes, I do not see the Clover screen, but I assume that Clover has loaded.

Typically, I see the Clover theme after the Razer OEM logo. However, with the Broadcom card installed, I see the Razer OEM logo but the screen goes black after few seconds on the OEM logo.

When the screen goes black, I assume that Clover is running. I use the typical arrow key combination to select the OSX boot drive and attempt to boot.

This works since OSX loads up. I verify this because my Bluetooth headphones work (audio gets played on my headphones letting me know there is a Bluetooth connection). I also verified that OSX boots correctly by plugging in a HDMI cable and I get the proper video output (however my screen is still black). Note, after OSX boots up the internal screen is still black.

Is there any details you require?

I think your system has an incompatibility with the WiFi card you have installed.
Or you installed it incorrectly.
Or it is defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back