Contribute
Register

Black screen after wake from sleep (kernel panic?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580 Pulse 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Here's the build I'm working on:

Gigabyte x299 Designare EX
i9-9820x (Skylake refresh)
Sapphire Pulse RTX 570

I've followed most of this guide from @kgp:
I haven't made it completely through the E.9 section though (only E.9.1).

So far everything works great! The remaining big issue is sleep/wake. This is going to be a workstation so working sleep is a must. What happens is that I'll initiate sleep, and everything powers down correctly--the drives, the fans, the lights--but when I tap a key to wake it, nearly everything wakes up but the display. The LED on the display goes red and the screen is black. So I'll hold down the power button to the PC to turn it off, which shuts it down (tower doesn't have a restart button), but a few seconds later it turns back on on its own. When booting into MacOS from Clover, in verbose mode, one of the first messages is "System was automatically rebooted after a panic." Other than that it boots up normally and Apple asks me if I want to send a crash report.

The guide has a link to this article, but it seems to be out of date as I can't find PMStatusCode in IORegistryExplorer.

Is there anything I can try to get it working properly? I can also attach any files if needed to help debug.

Thanks for any help!!

Are you rungging you OS from SATA or M.2? If you're booting from M.2 then for the sake of troubleshooting try to run the OS from SATA drive. If the sleep function issue is resolved then you have a conflict with your m.2 drive and gpu location. On my Optiplex I lose the sleep function once I boot from m.2 drive. If I use SATA SSD - the issue is resolved. I wish I knew a workaround for such addressing, but so far my researches have been unsuccessful.

P.S. I fixed my sleep issue. I have a copy of my OS that I imaged long ago (same OS version). I disabled m.2 from BIOS and booted my SSD from USB. My sleep worked. I switched back to m.2 in the BIOS as primary boot device and my sleep function miraculously works now. I have no stalls during boor (such as "igpu graphics driver failed to load could not register with framebuffer") which took minutes for 10.14.16 to boot. Everything is working flawlessly now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back