Graphics
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, I'm having some trouble installing SL on a new box I'm building for a friend. I've tried following the guides posted on this site and keep running into the same problem no matter what I try. After booting with iBoot and starting the OSX install disc, it runs through a bunch of white text and then after about 10 pages of text it just goes black and doesn't do anything more.

What I've tried:
Making sure I have only 4GB RAM installed
Using a fresh, unpartitioned 1TB HDD
Using a 1TB HDD with only 1 100GB partition (unformatted)
Setting BIOS to "Optimized Defaults"
Setting SATA mode to AHCI
Setting HPET to Enabled (No option for 64 in my BIOS)
Setting onboard video to DISABLED
Plugging the HDD & DVD drives into the blue SATA ports
Plugging the HDD & DVD drives into the white SATA ports
Swapping the video card to an older GeForce 6800 GT
Using every possible combination of these boot flags: -v -x PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No arch=i386

Everything I've tried here has ended with the exact same result, white text then black screen.

My specs:

Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H
Intel Core i7 3770K
4GB DDR3 1333 9-9-9-24
1TB Western Digital HDD 7200rpm SATA III (6Gb/s)
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Lite-On Blu-Ray burner

I spent all night working on these attempts, reading this site, and much googling, searching for answers only to come up nil and out of ideas. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

660TI is not supported in OS X 10.6.x - you need Mountain Lion 10.8.x for that graphics card. Try setting the BIOS for iGPU with gpu memory 64Mb and then install.

I will be interested to know if you are sccessful in installing, can boot from the HDD and if you can get to the app store and download ML.

Thanks for your reply & suggestion.

I tried removing the PCIe cards and booting with the integrated graphics, going through all the same attempts listed in my original post, but got the same problem. Since this occurs even with an older 6800GT, I'm not really sure what to think. Is it the graphics? Or the mobo? or what? :banghead:

Any other ideas?

EDIT:

Is there any way to create a UniBeast USB drive from Windows? I don't have access to a Mac until I get this hackintosh running. Or, if I had a virtual machine running ML, could I somehow use that to install on this other machine? Or create a bootable ML install disc?

Really, any ideas would be helpful.

The problem you are running into is the same one many people have. There is no support in SL for Ivy Bridge chips/CPUs.

I was able to install 10.6 on an Ivy Bride board with iBoot Legacy and update it to 10.6.8, but the App store refuses to download because ML "can't be installed".:banghead:

I was hoping you might have better success with a SB CPU.

I haven't been using iBoot Legacy, is that my problem? *goes off to try Legacy now*

I haven't been using iBoot Legacy, is that my problem? *goes off to try Legacy now*

phenius

As GB has stated and as I noticed in your orginal post - that "CPU aint gonna fly son" - the issue and its a Big one is -

That the kernal "Mach_Kernel" the system file for the os was never modifyied by Apple to support IB CPU's.

So this leaves you with the other option - but that IB cpu in a box and get a SB CPU - or find a working SL mac that you can use /borrow and create the Apple App Store account and then follow the instructions on Unibeast.com to make the ML Usb installer thumb drive.

Thank you for the replies and help guys. I've finally got my issue fixed. Got my hands on a ML virtual machine and used it to create my UniBeast USB drive. I am currently installing now.

One question, will I be able to install Windows 7 on another partition on this drive after ML and still have both work?

Thanks again for all the help.

Well, looks like that worked. I'm now using my pretty new hackintosh. YAY!

Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

Hello, I'm having some trouble installing SL on a new box I'm building for a friend. I've tried following the guides posted on this site and keep running into the same problem no matter what I try. After booting with iBoot and starting the OSX install disc, it runs through a bunch of white text and then after about 10 pages of text it just goes black and doesn't do anything more.

What I've tried:
Making sure I have only 4GB RAM installed
Using a fresh, unpartitioned 1TB HDD
Using a 1TB HDD with only 1 100GB partition (unformatted)
Setting BIOS to "Optimized Defaults"
Setting SATA mode to AHCI
Setting HPET to Enabled (No option for 64 in my BIOS)
Setting onboard video to DISABLED
Plugging the HDD & DVD drives into the blue SATA ports
Plugging the HDD & DVD drives into the white SATA ports
Swapping the video card to an older GeForce 6800 GT
Using every possible combination of these boot flags: -v -x PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No arch=i386

Everything I've tried here has ended with the exact same result, white text then black screen.

My specs:

Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H
Intel Core i7 3770K
4GB DDR3 1333 9-9-9-24
1TB Western Digital HDD 7200rpm SATA III (6Gb/s)
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Lite-On Blu-Ray burner

I spent all night working on these attempts, reading this site, and much googling, searching for answers only to come up nil and out of ideas. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

phenius

UPDATE

News Flash....

We have a new iBoot cd for Ivy Bridge that supports the Ivy Bridge line of CPU's and this should allow you to get you to install SL and then allow You to get to the APP store and purchase - download - make - and install a UniBeast flash Drive. :clap:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...x-10-6-snow-leopard-ivy-bridge-based-pcs.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back