1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Performa
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I got High Sierra installed and running. Messed around and was able to get ethernet to work but no sound yet and that the load screen where you type in your password on the OS was flashing and blinking. This as well as that it went to Stop sign every other time after it loaded for a while. But at least it loaded with the Apple logo every time and when that happened I just restarted it and it worked fine the next or the third try.

I wanted to try to install Windows on the computer and I followed the instructions for Clover and exchange the EFI. I restarted the computer and now I still get to the Clover menu every time but when I select a device and press Enter, the screen turns black directly every time. I have also tried to boot from USB from the Clover menu but it's the same and goes directly to black screen.

Please, I'm lost, help! Could it be a configuration error and what can I do? I have Clover v2.4k 4359.

Thank you!

@Patrik1972, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Ok, sorry! I've updated my profile. It's my first time building a Hackintosh. Actually the first time i'm building a computer. I'm so exited to start work on it but I'm lost. :(

My parts:
Mobo: MSI Z270A-pro (regret now that I didn't buy a Gigabyte)
CPU: i5 7500 3.4gHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming HDMI 3xDP 3GB

Last edited:
The problem you had with the flashing/blinking logon screen was because you hadn't installed the web drivers for your 1060 video card, so the system was using low-res VESA graphics. That's pretty typical behavior until you get the drivers installed.

The problem you're having now with going to black screen is also typically a graphics card issue. I don't know how far down the path you went with getting Windows going, but the process could easily bork your build. It's wonky that you had to restart your machine a few times each time to get a clean boot; that's not normal for hackintoshes, although as you mention you may be facing a compatibility issue (I always check these forums before buying hardware, GA boards are often pretty compatible but I thought MSI boards were too).

Have you checked the subforums for any insight into anything specifically weird about that MSI board? Either the Sierra or High Sierra desktop guides subforums. It's conceivable that full support for that board is not there, I don't know.

You should probably disable (unplug power from) or remove the 1060 until you get your system working. 10.12.6 and 10.13.* have pretty good support for the IGPU. Set the IGPU as primary/enabled in the BIOS with >= 64MB VRAM prealloc, make sure the config.plist has inject intel true (the default), and you should be able to get through installing. Then you can see about getting windows installed (preferably on a second physical drive) and install the nvidia web drivers for your 1060. It's going to save you a lot of time and grief to have two fully independently bootable macOS partitions. I have an SSD and an HDD, and I install macOS to each independently. That way if I update the OS and it refuses to boot I can boot to the other. I realize we're starting to add a bunch of drives, but they're relatively inexpensive and I can't tell you how much time it's saved me. Time === money.

Thanks @aol, I wrote an long answer last night but I guess it wasn't approved. :(

I followed the instructions and prepared everything in MacOS for dual boot. I restarted the computer and I came to the Clover menu with the new Happy new year! theme, but then I got the black screen after that I pressed Enter on a device. So I haven't start installing Windows get.

The only thing I had to do different for this motherboard was to add the file OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in the EFI folder.

I've unplugged the power to the GPU and set the IGPU as primary, VRAM is set to 64MB. So now I've plugged the screen contact to the motherboard instead and it works fine. Thanks! But, and sorry for my rookie question but where can I find and edit the config.plist? I still can't get past the Clover menu. It goes immediately to the black screen when I press Enter. Is it in the Mobo Bios? It still goes to black screen although I past the GPU.

I actually have a hybrid HDD that I can use. I was thinking that I could have Windows on that one. But do you recommend that I get a third HDD too for a backup for MacOS?

I have obtained Sierra 10.12.6 now because I couldn't find 10.13 of High Sierra. Everywhere that i searched was 10.13.2.
Is it not best if I take out the SSD from the PC, plug it in to my MacBook and format it and start from scratch with 10.12.6?

In Clover, Options -> Graphics Injector ->, I have tried different settings here but it didn't change or help. Still getting the black screen. Several attempts. :(

Ok so if you are getting to the clover boot screen and you can pick a drive to boot, but no matter what you try at this point the screen goes black (no apple, no progress bar) then you should add -v as a boot argument. On the clover boot screen hit the 'o' key for options, hit enter on the boot arguments line, and then make sure there is a space between whatever is already there and what you add, and add '-v'. So if it said darkwake=0 before, now it says darkwake=0 -v

This will give you verbose output and may give you a clue what the snag is. Typically you would see a bunch of output then screen capture that last screen of text and upload it so we can take a look.

You don't want to mess around with graphics injector at this point. You should have inject intel true in config.plist. inject nvidia false, nv_disable unset, nvidiaweb false.

You can install macOS to an external drive using your MacBook. You won't be able to boot it directly, you'll need a usb stick with clover installed on it. Boot the stick, get to clover, select the drive you have macOS installed to. But you still need the right config.plist for your system for this to work. May as well figure out the issue you're having.

Installing Sierra (10.12.6) first isn't a terrible idea, the bottom line is you need to figure out the config.plist that will allow your system to boot (and the right kexts, and the right BIOS settings, the whole ball of wax). Very little changed between sierra and high sierra from the perspective of hackintosh fixes so that's certainly a direction you could go in.

I'm confused by you saying you can't find 10.13. High Sierra is the same as 10.13, which is the same as 10.13.0. Apple has since released two point upgrades so the High Sierra you will find today is 10.13.2.

I would suggest you have a main macOS bootable drive, a backup macOS bootable drive, and a windows boot drive, yes. The backup macOS drive can be a spinning HDD with a couple partitions, and you can use the bulk of the drive for document storage from either OS if you like. But having multiple drives will save you time and grief in the future as you can stage updates.

You asked about editing config.plist. You can use a text editor but I recommend Clover Configurator, which is specifically designed to cleanly edit config.plist. It also has a wide variety of patches built in that you can select.

Ok so if you are getting to the clover boot screen and you can pick a drive to boot, but no matter what you try at this point the screen goes black (no apple, no progress bar) then you should add -v as a boot argument. On the clover boot screen hit the 'o' key for options, hit enter on the boot arguments line, and then make sure there is a space between whatever is already there and what you add, and add '-v'. So if it said darkwake=0 before, now it says darkwake=0 -v

This will give you verbose output and may give you a clue what the snag is. Typically you would see a bunch of output then screen capture that last screen of text and upload it so we can take a look.

You don't want to mess around with graphics injector at this point. You should have inject intel true in config.plist. inject nvidia false, nv_disable unset, nvidiaweb false.

You can install macOS to an external drive using your MacBook. You won't be able to boot it directly, you'll need a usb stick with clover installed on it. Boot the stick, get to clover, select the drive you have macOS installed to. But you still need the right config.plist for your system for this to work. May as well figure out the issue you're having.

Installing Sierra (10.12.6) first isn't a terrible idea, the bottom line is you need to figure out the config.plist that will allow your system to boot (and the right kexts, and the right BIOS settings, the whole ball of wax). Very little changed between sierra and high sierra from the perspective of hackintosh fixes so that's certainly a direction you could go in.

I'm confused by you saying you can't find 10.13. High Sierra is the same as 10.13, which is the same as 10.13.0. Apple has since released two point upgrades so the High Sierra you will find today is 10.13.2.

I would suggest you have a main macOS bootable drive, a backup macOS bootable drive, and a windows boot drive, yes. The backup macOS drive can be a spinning HDD with a couple partitions, and you can use the bulk of the drive for document storage from either OS if you like. But having multiple drives will save you time and grief in the future as you can stage updates.

You asked about editing config.plist. You can use a text editor but I recommend Clover Configurator, which is specifically designed to cleanly edit config.plist. It also has a wide variety of patches built in that you can select.

Hi @aol , sorry for the late reply. My son had no patience and wanted to have Windows immediately so that he caught start playing games. So I cleaned the SSD hard drive and installed Windows 10 on it. Which was also a bit of a headache. :p But it works now as it should. Knock on wood!

I have now obtained a Hybrid HDD that I previously had MacOS on, but I have completely cleared it. I thought I'll install the Hackintosh on that one instead, so that I have the different systems on different drives as you suggested.
So I have restarted the process and of course, encountered new problems. But I guess it's best that I start a new thread for them. :)

But thank you for your help any way and hope you can help me with my new problems. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back