Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Black Screen after Catalina Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to get into the system by removing WhateverGreen.kext.

In my case I solved by upgrading Clover to the latest version.
Since I only had access to System Recovery and no other Mac, I've downloaded an ISO image of the latest Clover, put it into a USB drive and then copy to my EFI using terminal commands (diskutil list, diskutil mount, cp and mv to rename the old Clover building.
Remember to remove the third party kexts from S/L/E and copy them to kexts/Other folder at the new Clover building. I'm using Lilu and WhateverGreen. Don't forget to copy your custom config.plist to the new Clover building too.
Good luck!

Hello,
I am building a Hackintosh for my friend. I was able to get Mojave working with the igpu (without acceleration) and then attempted to install Catalina. Catalina installed and before it booted I inserted the 5700 XT. The computer now boots to a black screen. What might be causing this issue?

I have no way to access the updated EFI folder on the machine now so I will upload the one from the installation flash drive that I've been editing and attempting to boot from. Once I‘m able to login, I can upload the EFI folder from the SSD itself.

Thank you,
Eric

Specs:
CPU: Intel i9-9900K
GPU: Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz x4 (64GB)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Designare
Hi I was fighting the Catalina black screen hurdle for more than a year and this worked for me:
Do clean install as posted in Tonymac86 when this worked proceed to Migration Assistant in Catalina but have an other fresh APFS disk ready and CarbonCopy. After the migration and the message that data is available and ready to use ! do not reboot ! but make a CarbonCopy of your system disk to the new APFS copy or EFI in system disk to the new one (using Clover) this new disk will boot without black screen, at least this worked at least for me. My old rig 2013 GA-Z77N-WiFi mini ITX just new life. Maybe some one sit interest in my EFI. Greetings Antonio

Attachments

• GeekBench.jpg
    GeekBench.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 38
  • EFI.zip
    12.8 MB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back