1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hello,
I am building a Hackintosh for my friend. I was able to get Mojave working with the igpu (without acceleration) and then attempted to install Catalina. Catalina installed and before it booted I inserted the 5700 XT. The computer now boots to a black screen. What might be causing this issue?

I have no way to access the updated EFI folder on the machine now so I will upload the one from the installation flash drive that I've been editing and attempting to boot from. Once I‘m able to login, I can upload the EFI folder from the SSD itself.

Thank you,
Eric

Specs:
CPU: Intel i9-9900K
GPU: Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz x4 (64GB)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Designare

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 55

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2x E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Update Clover, Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-A
CPU
i7-11700K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Current version is r5100.
Agh ok. I would update it but when when I open the flash drive’s confit.plist file in Clover Configurator it wants to update the version on my Hackintosh rather than the drive. (Which I plan to do. But one project at a time.)
How can I avoid this?

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2x E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
How can I avoid this?
Select the drive that you want to install to - It's not rocket science.

Change.png

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-A
CPU
i7-11700K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Select the drive that you want to install to - It's not rocket science.

I’m sorry. I see now. I wasn’t pressing the “Update” button because I assumed that it would install directly to the EFI folder rather than download an installer. I have updated the clover version and it wouldn’t allow me to install to the EFI partition but rather the main partition. I know that copying the folder over to the EFI partition will delete all of my changes and drivers etc. I’m sorry if it’s a dumb question but am I expected to start with a clean slate or go through and set the settings again in the newer version?
Thank you for your time and patience,
Eric

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2x E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have updated the clover version and it wouldn’t allow me to install to the EFI partition but rather the main partition.
If you have installed Clover to the System partition then you have installed in Legacy mode instead of UEFI mode which is wrong. You probably now have an old version of Clover in UEFI mode and a new version of Clover in Legacy mode.

If (as you said) you are booting from USB then you should update Clover on the EFI partition of the USB flash drive.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-A
CPU
i7-11700K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
If you have installed Clover to the System partition then you have installed in Legacy mode instead of UEFI mode which is wrong. You probably now have an old version of Clover in UEFI mode and a new version of Clover in Legacy mode.

If (as you said) you are booting from USB then you should update Clover on the EFI partition of the USB flash drive.
I missed the UEFI setting. Sorry. Clover is now updated correctly on the EFI partition, but the black screen issue still occurs. I’ve uploaded the new EFI folder just in case.
Thank you,
Eric

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 147

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2x E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I’ve uploaded the new EFI folder just in case
I lost interest in this thread when you clearly demonstrated that you have little understanding of what you are doing.

Please read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile - Just three items - Motherboard (or prebuilt system), Processor (CPU) and Graphics.
Potential helpers do not want to be scrolling back to Post #1 to see if / where you detailed your system components.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.