Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 5700/ geforce gtx 1070 SC
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

I'm extremely frustrated at my inability to find a solution. I've scoured every posting and "solution" on this forums and google about fixing the Black Screen issue after installing a Radeon RX 5700. I did this, because my NVIDIA 1070 SC wasn't supported in Catalina.

So I install the RX 5700, boot up and Clover starts the macOS. Then at 75% it goes black. Every solution on here is to update KEXTS in the macOS. Do you understand that solution doesn't make sense? I can't access/see the macOS. If I could, I wouldn't be asking how to fix a black screen TRYING to access the macOS. But literally EVERY solution states that you need to access the Clover folder in macOS. Okay. So I switch back to the NVIDIA 1070 to do this. I download and use Clover Configurator to update the graphics kexts, and then update to the latest Clover version (5100). Reboot. Now, once I select macOS from clover, my screen goes straight to blank and my keyboard lights cut out. Does anyone have any solutions? I'm currently looking at USB clover bootable recovery as a backdoor to accessing my macOS drive.

Please, for the love of God, do not say that I need to "simply access my macOS and update kexts and update Clover EFI settings." I literally can't get into my macOS ever since trying these updates. How am I suppose to mess around in the macOS that I can't see or get into?? Hell, I'd love a solution to go back to High Sierra in which I didn't lose all my existing files. I don't have anything backed up to a Time Machine since 6 months ago.

Can you guys offer and insight and help?

Yeah I had the exact same issue and just wiped my hard drive and started over with open core lol.

Hi!

I'm extremely frustrated at my inability to find a solution. I've scoured every posting and "solution" on this forums and google about fixing the Black Screen issue after installing a Radeon RX 5700. I did this, because my NVIDIA 1070 SC wasn't supported in Catalina.

So I install the RX 5700, boot up and Clover starts the macOS. Then at 75% it goes black. Every solution on here is to update KEXTS in the macOS. Do you understand that solution doesn't make sense? I can't access/see the macOS. If I could, I wouldn't be asking how to fix a black screen TRYING to access the macOS. But literally EVERY solution states that you need to access the Clover folder in macOS. Okay. So I switch back to the NVIDIA 1070 to do this. I download and use Clover Configurator to update the graphics kexts, and then update to the latest Clover version (5100). Reboot. Now, once I select macOS from clover, my screen goes straight to blank and my keyboard lights cut out. Does anyone have any solutions? I'm currently looking at USB clover bootable recovery as a backdoor to accessing my macOS drive.

Please, for the love of God, do not say that I need to "simply access my macOS and update kexts and update Clover EFI settings." I literally can't get into my macOS ever since trying these updates. How am I suppose to mess around in the macOS that I can't see or get into?? Hell, I'd love a solution to go back to High Sierra in which I didn't lose all my existing files. I don't have anything backed up to a Time Machine since 6 months ago.

Can you guys offer and insight and help?

I am having the same issue with my RX 5700 on 10.15.2. For what it's worth, I was able to boot into safe mode adding the -x flag at the Clover screen, but cannot get past the black screen without this flag. This doesn't solve the problem, but should help you get to your files.

UPDATE: adding in a boot flag of "agdpmod=pikera" at the Clover screen lets me boot without needing safe mode, but (a) it doesn't seem to stick when I modify my config.plist and (b) I think the GPU it underperforming.

If I figure out a better solution, I will let you know (and if you figure one out please let me know).

Last edited:
Having the same issue here. Did anyone find any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back