Graphics
AMD Radeon RX 5700/ geforce gtx 1070 SC
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

I'm extremely frustrated at my inability to find a solution. I've scoured every posting and "solution" on this forums and google about fixing the Black Screen issue after installing a Radeon RX 5700. I did this, because my NVIDIA 1070 SC wasn't supported in Catalina.

So I install the RX 5700, boot up and Clover starts the macOS. Then at 75% it goes black. Every solution on here is to update KEXTS in the macOS. Do you understand that solution doesn't make sense? I can't access/see the macOS. If I could, I wouldn't be asking how to fix a black screen TRYING to access the macOS. But literally EVERY solution states that you need to access the Clover folder in macOS. Okay. So I switch back to the NVIDIA 1070 to do this. I download and use Clover Configurator to update the graphics kexts, and then update to the latest Clover version (5100). Reboot. Now, once I select macOS from clover, my screen goes straight to blank and my keyboard lights cut out. Does anyone have any solutions? I'm currently looking at USB clover bootable recovery as a backdoor to accessing my macOS drive.

Please, for the love of God, do not say that I need to "simply access my macOS and update kexts and update Clover EFI settings." I literally can't get into my macOS ever since trying these updates. How am I suppose to mess around in the macOS that I can't see or get into?? Hell, I'd love a solution to go back to High Sierra in which I didn't lose all my existing files. I don't have anything backed up to a Time Machine since 6 months ago.

Can you guys offer and insight and help?

Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Yeah I had the exact same issue and just wiped my hard drive and started over with open core lol.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AUROS Pro WiFi (mini-ITX)
CPU
i7-9700K (Coffee Lake)
Graphics
Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 5700 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

I'm extremely frustrated at my inability to find a solution. I've scoured every posting and "solution" on this forums and google about fixing the Black Screen issue after installing a Radeon RX 5700. I did this, because my NVIDIA 1070 SC wasn't supported in Catalina.

So I install the RX 5700, boot up and Clover starts the macOS. Then at 75% it goes black. Every solution on here is to update KEXTS in the macOS. Do you understand that solution doesn't make sense? I can't access/see the macOS. If I could, I wouldn't be asking how to fix a black screen TRYING to access the macOS. But literally EVERY solution states that you need to access the Clover folder in macOS. Okay. So I switch back to the NVIDIA 1070 to do this. I download and use Clover Configurator to update the graphics kexts, and then update to the latest Clover version (5100). Reboot. Now, once I select macOS from clover, my screen goes straight to blank and my keyboard lights cut out. Does anyone have any solutions? I'm currently looking at USB clover bootable recovery as a backdoor to accessing my macOS drive.

Please, for the love of God, do not say that I need to "simply access my macOS and update kexts and update Clover EFI settings." I literally can't get into my macOS ever since trying these updates. How am I suppose to mess around in the macOS that I can't see or get into?? Hell, I'd love a solution to go back to High Sierra in which I didn't lose all my existing files. I don't have anything backed up to a Time Machine since 6 months ago.

Can you guys offer and insight and help?

I am having the same issue with my RX 5700 on 10.15.2. For what it's worth, I was able to boot into safe mode adding the -x flag at the Clover screen, but cannot get past the black screen without this flag. This doesn't solve the problem, but should help you get to your files.

UPDATE: adding in a boot flag of "agdpmod=pikera" at the Clover screen lets me boot without needing safe mode, but (a) it doesn't seem to stick when I modify my config.plist and (b) I think the GPU it underperforming.

If I figure out a better solution, I will let you know (and if you figure one out please let me know).

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-79ZX-UD7-TH
CPU
Intel i7
Graphics
GeForce GTX 770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Having the same issue here. Did anyone find any solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.