2 x Intel Xeon E5-2670
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD7970 GHz Edition
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've followed the UniBeast method, as well as tweaked the SMBIOS to identify my build as a Mac Pro 5,1, and managed to successfully boot the OS X Installer from my USB boot disk. Through the OS X Installer, I used Disk Utility to format my two SSDs as HFS+ GPT in preparation for my Sierra and Windows 10 multi boot. I then begin the Sierra installation process on one of the SSDs, and it actually manages to complete successfully (reaching the "computer will now reboot in 10 seconds") screen.

But upon reboot (I select USB boot option to reach the Clover EFI option screen), I get a pitch black screen and inactive display once I choose to boot OS X from the SSD. I assume the computer has hung up on me, as the monitor goes into sleep mode.

Any suggestions? My build is:
2 * Intel Xeon E5 2670
Intel S2600CP2J motherboard
64GB ECC RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290X
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX
Apple BCM94360CD 802.11ac AirPort card
Intel 535 480GB SSD (for macOS Sierra)
Crucial 500GB MX200 SSD (for Windows)

Also my boot flags for Clover were:
-v
npci=0x3000
dart=0
nv_disable=1

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Excellent narrative with all the required SPECS; a rare treat indeed!

Now a couple of quick pointers:
  • Once you start the Installation Process in Sierra and the monitor displays "computer will now reboot in 10 seconds", all you have to do is to patiently watch the screen! No manual intervention is needed for Sierra installer to get you back to the second stage of installation. The installer will AUTOMATICALLY return to the screen for selection of Geographic Region .........all the way to creation of your account. NO need to interrupt with the Hotkey to enter boot option screen to pick USB installer.
  • You have a Radeon Graphics card according to your SPECS. nv_disable Boot Arg: is for Nvidia Card.
Reboot and reach Clover Boot Manager Screen>Options menu >Boot Args:- and remove the unneeded "nv_disable" Flag and try again.

If the above does not succeed to complete the installation , take the USB installer to the system where you created it.
Mount its EFI foulder using Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter v3.
Navigate to EFI>Clover>Config.plist
Open Config.plist in an editor and edit out nv_disable .
Clover Configurator being a GUI editor my preferred editor is CCV ( CC Vibrant) .
You may open config.plist in CCC or CCV and go to its "Boot" menu on its Left Panel
From Boot menu, simply remove the check mark from the box of[ ] nv_disable and then
Export the config.plist back to its target and save.
Reinstall the System and patiently wait without interference for the second part of Installation to proceed.:)
Good Luck

Thank you very much for the reply cmn699!

I followed the above steps (created a new boot disk with nv_disable removed from boot args via Clover Configurator) and let the installation proceed without interference.

However, upon rebooting, my motherboard booted its UEFI shell. I had to exit the motherboard UEFI shell and proceed to manually boot from the USB boot disk. At the Clover boot screen, if I select HFS (Boot OS X from Macintosh HD) unfortunately I still get the blank, black screen.

Very frustrating indeed as I'm so close!

Update: Didn't manage to fix my issue yet, but I decided to install Windows 10 in the meantime.

This method was unsuccessful:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/
As the Windows boot installer couldn't copy its files to the HFS partitioned drive and because of the EFI partition. :/

So I formatted drive using diskpart in an NTFS format. Booted the windows usb installer using legacy BIOS method and it happily installed. Windows 10 is now installed on the second Crucial SSD (now I have to try and source a LAN cable long enough to get some internet -- the Broadcom WiFi adapter isn't supported by the Windows driver).

Any ideas on the macOS Sierra installation? I still get the black screen.
Further, when I choose to boot from the Intel SSD which has macOS Sierra installed from the boot option menu, I get a blank screen with a blinking underscore cursor on the top-left of the screen.

Still have yet to resolve this issue, which is very frustrating. ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back