Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z77-A
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GT 640
Hi I'm relatively new to this hackintosh thing and my computer was working fine until I installed something that asked me to restart at the end, I'm guessing my computer auto updated and now I am unable to see anything besides a black screen and my moveable cursor after booting up. I believe it's stuck at the login screen but I can't see anything anyways. I'm assuming I have to disable my graphics card or inject some stuff but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I followed a unibeast/clover install when I couldn't afford a Mac to make music on, and I am complete noob when it comes to this. Please help I just started getting decent at making music hahaha.

Hi I'm relatively new to this hackintosh thing and my computer was working fine until I installed something that asked me to restart at the end, I'm guessing my computer auto updated and now I am unable to see anything besides a black screen and my moveable cursor after booting up. I believe it's stuck at the login screen but I can't see anything anyways. I'm assuming I have to disable my graphics card or inject some stuff but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I followed a unibeast/clover install when I couldn't afford a Mac to make music on, and I am complete noob when it comes to this. Please help I just started getting decent at making music hahaha.

Hi there.

What version of macOS are you using?

:)

Only thing I remember is high Sierra I'm not sure which version maybe 10.13 I think

Well, if you take a look at recent posts you will see there is a lot of coverage of Apple revoking the Nvidia web-drivers. So perhaps you have them loaded for your GT640 GPU?

However there are reports of a fix direct from Nvidia Support, the new drivers are mentioned here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hics-certificates-expired.320609/post-2326893

I know you'll be saying "How can I install them when I can't get into my desktop?". Well, you have couple of options:

1) You could change your BIOS to select the CPU's iGPU display output instead of PCI-e, then switch your monitor cable to the motherboard output, OR,

2) as you have two Macs listed in your profile you could remove the High Sierra HDD/SDD, connect it to one of those by USB and then install from there (depending on the macOS versions they are running).

A couple of ideas anyway.

3) Boot with nv_disable=1
As noob as I will sound how do I do that exactly, I think there is like a command I can press to allow me to type that during the startup?

Well, if you take a look at recent posts you will see there is a lot of coverage of Apple revoking the Nvidia web-drivers. So perhaps you have them loaded for your GT640 GPU?

However there are reports of a fix direct from Nvidia Support, the new drivers are mentioned here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hics-certificates-expired.320609/post-2326893

I know you'll be saying "How can I install them when I can't get into my desktop?". Well, you have couple of options:

1) You could change your BIOS to select the CPU's iGPU display output instead of PCI-e, then switch your monitor cable to the motherboard output, OR,

2) as you have two Macs listed in your profile you could remove the High Sierra HDD/SDD, connect it to one of those by USB and then install from there (depending on the macOS versions they are running).

A couple of ideas anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to write this, I'm going to be trying the disable technique in the other reply and will come back to this if it doesn't work. I'm still amazed at how this forum is so active and helpful ;)

nv_disable=1 is a boot argument.

It can be added to your config.plist using a Plist editor such as ProperTree, Clover Configurator etc.

If you are using Clover you can also add the boot argument for use a single time, which would allow you to then add the boot argument permanently to your config.plist.

To use the boot argument for a single time, do the following:
  1. Boot to the Clover boot screen.
  2. With your macOS boot drive selected press the 'Spacebar'
  3. This will bring up a sub-menu that allows you to select a few specific boot arguments.
  4. nv_disable=1 being one of them.
Here are a few screenshots taken of my system when I was using Clover. They show the boot screen, sub-menu etc. from the Catalina theme.

screenshot0.png boot screen

screenshot9.png sub-menu

Maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back