Contribute
Register

Black screen after boot on Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says erase failed.
Oh and the drive I was talking about is on the left, let me know you can see them or not but they won’t eject or erase either.
the details stated that it couldn't unmount disk.

Attachments

• 6EA24873-F6B0-42B1-831D-EE0D46835863.jpeg
    6EA24873-F6B0-42B1-831D-EE0D46835863.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
It says erase failed.
Oh and the drive I was talking about is on the left, let me know you can see them or not but they won’t eject or erase either.
Click Show Details and post a picture of what it says. That's where the error code will be.

It says erase failed.
  • I am really surprised or confused to see you have selected a USB disk to Erase according to the screen shot.
  • How was it possible?
The Connection Type must be SATA or Solid state for SATA Spin HDD and SSD respectively.
1.DU Erase?.png

It says erase failed.
Did you try to Erase your macOSMojave USB installer Disk?
I hope NOT.

I asked if I was erasing the boot drive, the USB! no, I haven't eased the installer disk. I was making sure that was what I wasn't about to erase!
The western digital is my hard drive, I do not have an SSD.

I asked if I was erasing the boot drive, the USB! no, I haven't eased the installer disk. I was making sure that was what I wasn't about to erase!
The western digital is my hard drive, I do not have an SSD.
  • If you want to Erase the Target hard disk Disk, and if " WDC WD10...." is that target SATA HDD, SELECT it.
  • Before Erasing take a Picture and make sure you have chosen the Right Disk by looking at its Connection and Size as shown in previous image.
  • Don't start Erase BEFORE making sure of the Target Disk.
    • Otherwise it is like sawing the very branch you are sitting on instead of another branch of the tree you wanted to cut down!!
  • Luckily the tools to Erase is inside the USB installer and hopefully, it won't commit a harakiri!

HDD Selected.

Attachments

• 7402DE05-6002-412F-B354-C0BBA43A058E.jpeg
    7402DE05-6002-412F-B354-C0BBA43A058E.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 51
HDD Selected.
  • I would do a First Aid check >If all OK, then start the Erase Process.
    • I would select Format:APFS even though its is a SATA Spin Disk as Mojave DOES not like HFS+J even though the installer will try to later on convert that to APFS.

• In my personal experience of doing many many disks, that route will only delay the Installation and sometimes cause crashes. I know Others may disagree.
  • But final decision is you to make.

2min remaining, it been here for a while and my fan is LOUD.

2min remaining, it been here for a while and my fan is LOUD.
Usually at 2 minutes remaining reboot can occur all of a sudden toward CBM screen
Make sure you press the Hot Key to see the Boot Disk selection Screen and choose your USB installer to enter CBM
and then at CBM screen, switch to the System Disk to boot.
This must be the way until Recovery Disk comes and joins the icons at CBM
and that is the last reboot and then booting goes on toward Language & Region selection > Apple Account Setup .....etc toward Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back