Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Bitfenix Pandora case cooling?

Hi! I'm thinking of building my CustoMac using this case. Since it's a slimmer design than most of the cases in the buying guide I was wondering what type of heating issues I may run into with this case and what type of fans/cooling I could use to alleviate any potential issues. Below are the parts I'm considering using. Will mostly be used for Video Editing, Photo Editing, Graphic Design, and Web Design.

31hb-YIbOlL.jpg51nPewjTKqL.jpg

Bitfenix Pandora Core
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/pandora-core

MOTHEBOARD:
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H or the Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5

CPU:
i7-4790k (I mostly will not overclock it)

GRAPHICS CARD:
EVGA GT 740 SC

RAM:
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16gb

SSD:
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

HDD:
4 tb 7200rpm HD

PSU:
Corsair RM 650 Watt (unless the 550 is able to power everything with no problem)

Wifi:
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

Their images of the case show it with 2 graphics cards and the CPU cooling mounted towards the front of the case. The case has areas for 2 fans on the front, and 1 on the top (directly above the motherboard). What type of cooling fan should I use for the i7-4790k CPU? I want to keep it running cool so I don't mind paying a few more bucks for kick ass cooling if doesn't require much power (I'd like to keep my electricity bill from skyrocketing). I also would like it to be relatively quite fans. I've seen options for liquid cooling, radiators, etc... What do you guys recommend? And should the CPU cooler be mounted to the front or to the top of the case? I know nothing about heat or power management so any help here is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Q: What is the maximum CPU cooler height on Pandora
134mm

Q: What is the maximum VGA length and height can I use on the Pandora
Maximum VGA length (rear panel to front panel without fan) = 375mm
Maximum VGA height (including PCI-e connector)= 120mm

CPU:
i7-4790k (I mostly will not overclock it)
Then save yourself some money and get a i7-4790 (non-K) and a H97 chipset motherboard

Nice Air cooler that would fit http://noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=105&lng=en&set=1

What are you gonna use your CustoMac for ?

I was under the impression that the i7-4790K operated at a higher clock speed than the non-k version, even without overclocking. Is that an incorrect assumption? I would really like a 4ghz CPU.

I'll be using it for some video editing, graphic design, web design, photo editing, etc... There will be instances where I push it to the max. I don't need it to be top of the line but I'd like it to be powerful without running into any heating or compatibility issues in this case.

I don't mind paying a little bit more for liquid cooling fan/radiator, just not sure how effective it would be in this case. The only truly open fan section is the one at the top of the case but I worry that the rest of the case won't be cooled if I mount it there. If I mount it to the front (like their pictures have it), I worry that it won't get enough airflow to actually be effective. Only the side part of the front grill actually gets any airflow and even that is slightly covered by the curved side panels of the case.

I have no experience with cooling, especially with a slim case. Any suggestions?

I was under the impression that the i7-4790K operated at a higher clock speed than the non-k version
True

You could probbly put a 120mm rad in the front and a fan on top. But frankly if i wanted to put a watercooling build together I would not use that case. I like my case to have linear airflow (intake front outtake back or bottom to top).

You will also have to contend with insanely long cables from the Corsair PSU and they do not offer short cable set. Check out Silverstone Strider series as they have short cable set that really make your life easier if you are building in a smaller chassis. You might wanna check their cases too ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back