Contribute
Register

BitFenix Home Server Build -- ITX board with 6 SATA ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm looking to build a system this summer with a Haswell i5. Not sure if I'll be overclocking; if so, it won't be anything extreme, so a z-series is not absolutely necessary.

I want to build a desktop/home server build in a BitFenix Prodigy, which means I'll need a board with 6 SATA ports. However, as I've been looking at IB compatible motherboards, I'm not seeing any boards with more than 4 ports.

Case: BitFenix Prodigy Black, with 230mm spectre fan added on the front for maximal airflow with least possible noise
CPU: i5-4670(k)
GPU: probably stick with iGPU for now, as I don't play any games.
PSU: Any advice here?
CPU Cooler: Any advice here? Especially if I plan on overclocking, I'll probably want to replace the stock cooler.
Storage: 4x4 TB HDD in RAID10 for media storage and backups with 5th bay as a hotswap
Boot: 120/240GB Samsung 840 (or similar)
RAM: 2x4(or 8)GB

I realize Haswell is pretty new, and not all the boards are out yet, but would it be reasonable to expect a Hackintosh compatible ITX with more than 4 SATA ports (and maybe thunderbolt)? I suppose I could always get a card, but I'd rather save the slot in case I ever want to install a GPU.

I'm looking to build a system this summer with a Haswell i5. Not sure if I'll be overclocking; if so, it won't be anything extreme, so a z-series is not absolutely necessary.

I want to build a desktop/home server build in a BitFenix Prodigy, which means I'll need a board with 6 SATA ports. However, as I've been looking at IB compatible motherboards, I'm not seeing any boards with more than 4 ports.

Case: BitFenix Prodigy Black, with 230mm spectre fan added on the front for maximal airflow with least possible noise
CPU: i5-4670(k)
GPU: probably stick with iGPU for now, as I don't play any games.
PSU: Any advice here?
CPU Cooler: Any advice here? Especially if I plan on overclocking, I'll probably want to replace the stock cooler.
Storage: 4x4 TB HDD in RAID10 for media storage and backups with 5th bay as a hotswap
Boot: 120/240GB Samsung 840 (or similar)
RAM: 2x4(or 8)GB

I realize Haswell is pretty new, and not all the boards are out yet, but would it be reasonable to expect a Hackintosh compatible ITX with more than 4 SATA ports (and maybe thunderbolt)? I suppose I could always get a card, but I'd rather save the slot in case I ever want to install a GPU.

Currently Haswell Processers aren't supported , They will be when 10.9 is officially released this fall though . So you wont be able to build a haswell hackintosh this summer . So far as mini itx goes , only asus and asrock sell z87 itx boards with 6 sata ports , Although i would wait till 10.9 comes out before buying any haswell motherboard because its unclear which motherboards will work. But if you are interested in knowing the possible mini-itx motherboard options i have included links below .

Gigabyte z87 mobo (only has 4 sata ports) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128615
Asus Z87 mobo (Not available for sale yet) : http://www.anandtech.com/show/7078/building-a-miniitx-haswell-system-with-asus-video
asrock z87 mobo (has 6 sata ports) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157374

Currently Haswell Processers aren't supported , They will be when 10.9 is officially released this fall though . So you wont be able to build a haswell hackintosh this summer . So far as mini itx goes , only asus and asrock sell z87 itx boards with 6 sata ports , Although i would wait till 10.9 comes out before buying any haswell motherboard because its unclear which motherboards will work. But if you are interested in knowing the possible mini-itx motherboard options i have included links below .

Gigabyte z87 mobo (only has 4 sata ports) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128615
Asus Z87 mobo (Not available for sale yet) : http://www.anandtech.com/show/7078/building-a-miniitx-haswell-system-with-asus-video
asrock z87 mobo (has 6 sata ports) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157374

Excellent, thanks for the advice. What should I expect in terms of usability and compatability of a board like the asrock z87? (I realize that could be harder to judge given the recent release and other unknowns about 10.9 compatability) By that I mean, will I have more problems and headaches with it? Or are there brands that are traditionally easier to work with (I feel like I usually hear of Gigabyte being the go-to)?

Finally, why exactly won't there be Haswell support (for Mountain Lion or SL, say) before 10.9 comes out? I'm a little new to the hackintosh scene.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. What should I expect in terms of usability and compatability of a board like the asrock z87? (I realize that could be harder to judge given the recent release and other unknowns about 10.9 compatability) By that I mean, will I have more problems and headaches with it? Or are there brands that are traditionally easier to work with (I feel like I usually hear of Gigabyte being the go-to)?

Finally, why exactly won't there be Haswell support (for Mountain Lion or SL, say) before 10.9 comes out? I'm a little new to the hackintosh scene.

Gigabyte is usually the preferred manufacturer because their motherboards usually work with little extra work required. As for compatibility i can't really say anything due to forum rules which prevent me from talking about unreleased software by apple .

The reason why SL doesn't work with new processors is is because Sl is now 3 generations outdated and its kind of like the xp of OSX , its not really supported anymore and doesn't get any major updates , so its not compatible with newer processors . Mountain lion 10.8.4 on the other hand does have limited haswell support (for the mac book air), but 10.9 is expected to support a more wider range of haswell products . So overall if you want to build a haswell rig i suggest you wait till 10.9 comes out .

I don't pretend to be any expert, I just know how to google and read, but I've read the the same thermal problems that IB had are also true of Haswell, due to the cheap TIM between the die and the IHS.

I'm not sure if this is within your area of expertise or not, but how much does this impact the system at stock configurations? I've read of lowering temps between 15-20 degrees, but only under clocks past 4 Ghz. I'm not if I want to experiment with delidding, but I'm all for a quieter, cooler system (I won't be able to fit a huge CPU cooler in this case I'd imagine with the optical drive, and I'd rather no go for liquid at this point).

Secondly, how much performance do higher clock speeds give you? Is it a linear relationship, or does it drop off as you go higher and higher. In other words, I'm trying to decide whether its worth spending the extra cash for K and Z series parts, along with the extra cooling gear required, or if I should just save myself the money and keep the stock configuration.

If I understand correctly 10.8.5 supports Haswell.

What can you tell me about other boards like the ASRock Z87E-ITX or Asus Z87I-Deluxe as far as compatability?

If I understand correctly 10.8.5 supports Haswell.

What can you tell me about other boards like the ASRock Z87E-ITX or Asus Z87I-Deluxe as far as compatability?
I would go with the Asus. Chances are it is using the same base BIOS as the Gryphon and the MSR will be unlocked - hope so anyway. If so, it would be a better choice than the AsRock board. Also overclocks easier if it is like the Z77-I mITX board.

Thanks for the advice.

Do you know how much more difficulty I would be looking at going with an ASUS board vs. a Gigabyte board? Or what functionality would likely be compromised (LAN etc.)?

Thanks for the advice.

Do you know how much more difficulty I would be looking at going with an ASUS board vs. a Gigabyte board? Or what functionality would likely be compromised (LAN etc.)?

wiz329

As to your 3 choices of MotherBoard Manufacturer - Asus Gigabyte and ASrock. Between the ASUS and the GB the differences are small - before purchase of any hardware that will be used in a Hack - I suggest a Google search on the item number and the word " hackintosh" read what you find.

This will help you see what issues arose or you can expect. Now not all motherboards work for a Hack. Sometime the components on the Motherboard are different - usually in network and Audio Codec. These issues will be the problem area's. Get to know the parts that are used in these areas. A good place to get to know whats what is on the NewEgg website - the description is detailed enough so that you can see what Codec and network chips were used.

As to other differences, almost all use UEFI BIOS now so no DSDT file is needed for the most part - ASUS will need to have a tweak done to the BIOS or use a Modded BIOS file - Gigabyte for the most part is not going to need that.

As to Modded BIOS file its like any other BIOS that you upgrade but makes the motherboard more friendly to OSX and its functions. But for whatever motherboard you are interested in see what searches turn up.

Now for even greater News - the makers of the BitFenix Prodigy ITX case are in the process of releasing a similar design case for mATX motherboards and should be out in October.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345031

Thanks for your advice.

The reason I was thinking of going with the ASRock or ASUS boards is because they both support DP (which is what my monitor is, although I could use DVI I suppose), and because they both have 6 SATA ports -- I plan on using at least that many (4-5 HDDs including boot drive, at least, and a BD drive), as it for a HTPC/home server/general purpose computer.

... which is also why I'm not terribly keen on the mATX version of prodigy, from what I've seen. The design isn't as good IMO, and it doesn't fit as many HDDs, so the extra SATA ports I would gain by using an mATX board is somewhat moot.

I've done a cursory check on google, but haven't been able to find much about either board in Hack builds, other than a patched BIOS for the ASRock, I believe. I was hoping someone here might have some experience with either board.

Assuming there is problems with either the audio or networking:

If there is problems with the audio, will it affect both the analog output as well as digital?

If there are problems with networking, will it likely affect only bluetooth and wifi, or LAN as well?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back