Contribute
Register

bitdoctor's MiniMacPro Build: intel Core i7-3770 - Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI - HD 4000 - 16 GB - 256 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally got around to buying all the parts and assembling this thing and it won't turn on. The CPU fan spins for a few seconds then stops, then spins again and keeps doing this in a cycle. I'm concerned I may have a short somewhere so I'm going to try unplugging everything and starting over one cable at a time. I'm just posting this in case anyone is familiar with this symptom.

I also realize very late that I bought the Core I7-3770K not the processor that was recommended in the original post. Does my processor consume more power than bitdoctor's? From scanning through the replies, it looks like this build was close to max power consumption of the available power for the case. I hope I'm not exceeding it.

Attachments

• $T2eC16h,!yYFI,5!eVWgBSHe)PgB,w~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16h,!yYFI,5!eVWgBSHe)PgB,w~~60_3.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 332
Hi Bitdoctor,

I have use the same hardware ware as your beside the case, and have just installed Windows 7 to the SSD. But my problem is the computer keep shutting down on itself. I couldn't turn it back on by pressing the power button immediately. I have to unplug the power supply, plug back it, then press power to turn it on.

Could you give me some advise regardinf this "shut down" issue?

Thank you in advance.

I was just going to post on the exact same problem! I have Windows 7 running on a second SSD and it keeps shutting down. Mine will restart no problem, however. I'm thinking it's gotta' be something in the bios settings but I don't know jack about Windows.

Hi,

My build is done but I have a problem. When I run CPUTest with 8 threads, I get a reboot after about 5-10 sec. Geekbench completes without issue, however it might be that it doesn't put that much straing on the cpu to trigger the reboot.

Is this a powerissue? What are my options? Invest in a picopsu or underclock in BIOS?

UPDATE: Was contemplating temperature issues, but the CPU-temp never goes above 73 deg during load and is about 45 deg on idle. Seems exactly what everyone else is getting.

UPDATE2: Yep, power issues. I'm now running 100% CPU using an spare ATX-PSU and no reboots or any other issues. Given these results, I'll post an update below with my findings.

Rickard.

Given my issues and findings above I'm writing a more detailed post to make sure people understand that this build might not be such a good idea.

Bitdoctor might have been lucky, got a different batch of PSU or might not have tested running it at full throttle for long, I have no idea. But the fact remain, this build didn't work for me and may not work for you.

Based on the success here I acquired the exact parts and put it together today. Everything went fine until I tried loading the CPU using CPUTest, after a few seconds with 8 processes it just rebooted.

I then replaced the stock PSU with an external PSU and are now able to run the CPU full throttle.

I even disconnected the Wifi-card to save power (not using it).

Please bitdoctor, update your post with a warning saying that people might have issues using this build.

I'm not unhappy, I will just get one of these 150W PicoPSU and I'm sure it will work out fine. It's still great value, an excellent case and great value!

Rickard.

Attachments

• bild 1.JPG
    bild 1.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 358
  • bild 2.JPG
    bild 2.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 304
  • bild 3.JPG
    bild 3.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 475
A number of comments have been made regarding the USB 3.0 functionality.

Unlike what other users have experienced (also in other forum posts), on this system, USB 3.0 appears to have worked "out of the box," without any additional tweaking.

For confirmation, I thought it might be interesting to do some further USB 3.0 testing and post the results.

45480-minimacpro-2012-11-usb-system-information.png

MiniMacPro 2012: USB System Information

The first screenshot shows the USB System Information. For testing purposes, I connected the old Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 to the USB 3.0 bus (demonstrating backward compatibility to 1.5 Mb/s = USB 1) as well as the new LaCie P'9220 500 GB HDD (supposedly operating at up to 5 Gb/s = USB 3.0 interface transfer speed). The old Microsoft Optical Mouse is connected to the USB 2.0 bus. The back panel USB ports were used.

USB transfer speeds can be summarised as:

• USB 1: 1.5 Mb/s Low Speed (187.5 KB/s), 12 Mb/s Full Speed (1.5 MB/s)
  • USB 2.0: 480 Mb/s High Speed (60 MB/s)
  • USB 3.0: 5 Gb/s Super Speed (625 MB/s)

45477-lacie-p9220-usb-3-0-500-gb-hdd-blackmagic-design-disk-speed-test.jpg

LaCie P'9220 USB 3.0 500 GB HDD: Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test

The second screenshot shows the Blackmagic Design Disk Speed Test for the LaCie P'9220 500 GB HDD connected to the USB 3.0 bus. The obtained disk read and write speeds were consistently in the 76 MB/s to 77 MB/s range. While these speeds might be surprisingly low, they are definitely in the USB 3.0 class (being higher than the 60 MB/s USB 2.0 limit).

For comparison, Digital Versus tested the 1 TB version of this HDD and recorded 112.5 MB/s read and 102.0 MB/s write speeds.

In conclusion, I'm not sure why the disk is under-performing, but the obtained results show that at 77 MB/s or 616 Mb/s it's definitely operating at USB 3.0 speed with the MiniMacPro 2012.

@bitdoctor,

have you tried to install the USB3 Mac support of LaCie from their website? its last update was up to 10.8

my board is GA-H81M-DS2 and same as your it looks like it works OBB, Haven't tried to install the USB3 Universal by Zenith in Multibeast.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-c...um-g3220-gigabyte-ga-h81m-ds2.html#post717529

I have tried to test my Lacie p'9220 1TB in USB2/USB3 but I get the same score, then I install the USB3 Mac support and test it again in USB2 and USB3 but still I get the same score when testing.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello bitdoctor,

thank you for your guide, which encouraged me, to try to set up the GA-H77N-WiFi.

All works great!

Best regards

Herbert

Yeah, thanks for this, mate. It's fascinating that supposedly identical builds might have different power requirements!

Hey Bitdoctor - do you get full HD 1920 from the integrated graphics on the H77n-WIFI? I'm running a I7-4770 on the same mobo (H77n-wifi) with integrated graphics, and I can't figure out how to enable any higher resolutions than 1280. Would you mind sharing your BIOS v and settings? Did you need any boot flags when first starting up?

Thanks

I'm about to make this build to bring on the road with me...anyone tried it with the 4770K? Would that pose any problems that I'm unaware of (I believe the 4xxx use less power than 3xxx unless I'm mistaken)?

Thanks in advance & I greatly appreciate your detailed write-up bitdoctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back