Contribute
Register

bitdoctor's MiniMacPro Build: intel Core i7-3770 - Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI - HD 4000 - 16 GB - 256 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I would like to thank Tonymac & Bitdoctor, to everyone involve in keeping this site going, and also those who shared their problem solution. Without you guys i wouldn't be able to have my hackintosh mountain lion, which by the way i finished building and installing 2 days ago. This was my first time build and successful hackintosh. Had AMD prior, able to install snow leopard but was not happy. I have copied Bitdoctors specs, except i have 120gb 840 series SSD & dont have wireless card.
So far had 1 crash, greenish screen. When i reboot after installation i had to type PCIRootID=0 to boot and install multibeast. I must admit i am a noob in this and it was just a fluke.:)

Once again, tnx a lot guys!

Hi Bitdoctor! Can I use Atheros AR5B97 802.11b/g/n WiFi Mini Half PCI-E Wireless Card for this kind of build? Thanks in advance!

Hi norms2017, yes the Atheros AR5B97 appears to be compatible. Searching this forum, NEOMorphey even posted a success in a Mountain Lion Laptop build.

hi, First of all, Congrats bitdoctor for such a wonderful build. I have been following this forum for a while trying to find some decent hardware which supports Mountain Lion. I was planning to get a Macmini (i7 Model) but then it has some cons as a 5400 RPM HDD and just 4 gb of RAM. so after calcualting i have found out that building one of my own will be best thing to do.

I need a Mac for unity3D as i develop iOS and android games. I use heavy photoshop and flash but i think this config will be sufficient for that (comparing it with my current AMD Athlon II X4 630 and 8 GB RAM).

The only question i have in mind is that i am planning to make a fuson drive with 120GB(or lesser) SSD and 1TB of 7200RPM 2.5" HDD. So will the power supply be enough for that?

@bitdoctor have u tried a fusion drive in this built? and is thers omewy we can fit a 3.5" HDD into this body as i happen to have an extra hdd which i would use inside it otherwise will have to make that a external drive. Also can u suggest some cheaper MB than this which dont has a inbuilt wifi as i will have to get an external wifi card so cheaper good MB will be good enuf.

Thanks a lot

Hi biks04, not liking the recent Apple innovations and Apple lineup were precisely my reasons for building this MiniMacPro... 8 months later, still no regrets.

Theoretically, the power budget permits a second HDD. Practically, the power budget is already extremely tight, which I recently had a chance to observe (measuring the system's power consumption under load - I'll post the results at a later update of the original post).

The Antec ISK110-VESA case would not fit a 3.5" HDD.

Given that your post was already a month ago, you may have already purchased a case? Prices can vary considerably depending on where you purchase. Generally, older GA-H61N boards might be cheaper than the GA-H77N-WIFI used in this build. For example, in another recent build we successfully used the GA-H61N-USB3 due to cost saving.

Hi bitdoctor,

I have identical components to yours and F2 BIOS, but autosleep doesn't work on my system.

Did you use "Profile 1" or "Auto" setting in BIOS for your RAM ?
Did you Disable "Internal CPU PLL Over-voltage" in BIOS ?
Can you post your org.chameleon.Boot.plist and SMBios.plist ?

Thank you.

Hi mareko2, you can see some screenshots in this earlier post. I used "Profile1" for the "Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.)"

This MiniMacPro setup does not support over-clocking, so the BIOS is missing the "Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage" setting.

The plist files are simply the default installation files.

Hi bitdoctor,

It is quite amazing for this power budget.
When doing the math with some PS calculators online, this should roughly need 260w.
Could you explain how is 90w enough for this build?

Thanks

Hi biks04, not liking the recent Apple innovations and Apple lineup were precisely my reasons for building this MiniMacPro... 8 months later, still no regrets.

Theoretically, the power budget permits a second HDD. Practically, the power budget is already extremely tight, which I recently had a chance to observe (measuring the system's power consumption under load - I'll post the results at a later update of the original post).

The Antec ISK110-VESA case would not fit a 3.5" HDD.

Given that your post was already a month ago, you may have already purchased a case? Prices can vary considerably depending on where you purchase. Generally, older GA-H61N boards might be cheaper than the GA-H77N-WIFI used in this build. For example, in another recent build we successfully used the GA-H61N-USB3 due to cost saving.

hi bitdoctor.. thanks for the reply.. No i still havnt had a chance to build my system as i was out of the town for a month.. I spoke to my electrical friend and he saiid that he can manipulate the electrical socket to increase the 90W output if required :p
Anywys i will be making my build may be tomo though i have only one question in my mind.

Have any of you tried using the DVI to VGA Adoptor for VGA monitors??
Right now i have a VGA monitor and I plan to buy a good DVI/HDMI monitor 2-3 months later. So i was hoping if i can get my VGA monitor to work somehow. If no then i will have to get a different monitor.

Hi bitdoctor,

It is quite amazing for this power budget.
When doing the math with some PS calculators online, this should roughly need 260w.
Could you explain how is 90w enough for this build?

Thanks

Hi qooimcool, yes it is indeed quite amazing, but I can assure you that this MiniMacPro setup works exceptionally well. During 8 months of daily use that included both light to heavy computational loads, I have not noticed any processor instability.

Based on manufacturer specifications, a possible power consumption budget might look as follows:

which totals approx. 86 W. As previously stated, that's extremely tight and evidently does not specifically budget for any other motherboard features besides the chipset, the CPU fan, or for powering any USB or other externally connected devices. Nonetheless, the system works well and does not appear to struggle to power an externally connected HDD or an iPhone (although I haven't tried to connect these devices simultaneously or while the system was computationally under load). The MiniMacPro's USB Keyboard and Mouse are typically connected through a powered USB hub.

Clearly, the system's likely instantaneous power consumption can vary greatly, as the processor's power consumption will vary depending on its computational load, and with the number of powered, externally connected devices. The question of likely instantaneous power consumption then depends on the system's requirements, expectations or intended usage. Under general email, web browsing and word processing tasks, this i7-3770 processor will typically idle and rarely (if ever!) power-up to consume its Max TDP of 77 W, leaving sufficient power available for powering some externally connected devices.

hi bitdoctor.. thanks for the reply.. No i still havnt had a chance to build my system as i was out of the town for a month.. I spoke to my electrical friend and he saiid that he can manipulate the electrical socket to increase the 90W output if required :p
Anywys i will be making my build may be tomo though i have only one question in my mind.

Have any of you tried using the DVI to VGA Adoptor for VGA monitors??
Right now i have a VGA monitor and I plan to buy a good DVI/HDMI monitor 2-3 months later. So i was hoping if i can get my VGA monitor to work somehow. If no then i will have to get a different monitor.

Hi biks04, I think you'll find that people have had mixed results using DVI to VGA adapters. Even in this thread, there has been some discussion on this topic, as for instance my experience with one Intel adapter that worked versus an Apple adapter that didn't work as noted here. I'm not sure how a DVI to VGA adapter would affect the installation.

Happy hacking!

Hi Bitdoctor,

I have use the same hardware ware as your beside the case, and have just installed Windows 7 to the SSD. But my problem is the computer keep shutting down on itself. I couldn't turn it back on by pressing the power button immediately. I have to unplug the power supply, plug back it, then press power to turn it on.

Could you give me some advise regardinf this "shut down" issue?

Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back