Contribute
Register

bitdoctor's MiniMacPro Build: intel Core i7-3770 - Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI - HD 4000 - 16 GB - 256 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOBO arrived this morning. It works!
The replacement Wi-Fi card was natively recognised and is Rock Solid!
So it doesn't matter if it has 2 or 3 antennas plugs.
Just leave empty the plug in the middle and connect the other two ad usual.
Do not forget to attach the antennas outside the case or you will have poor or no signal at all.

Hi remote, that's great to hear of your success! :thumbup:

You should find that such wireless cards can operate even using just a single antenna. Additional antennas add robustness to improve link quality and reliability, known as antenna diversity (typically dual diversity for two antenna systems). A minimum of one antenna is required, typically marked as "main" and "alt" for the alternative antenna ports.

The Atheros AR5BHB92 card in this MiniMacPro system has two antenna ports, both of which I've connected to the Antec ISK110-VESA case back panel. Typically I only have one antenna connected though, and it works fine.

If your Atheros AR9380 card has three antenna ports, and you wanted to make use of the third antenna port, you could try to find another antenna that might fit inside your case.

Hello anyone. First time hackintosh build. I am attempting to follow bitdoctor's build to the letter Except for the hard drive. I am using a Segate 7200 750 gb drive. Everything else should be the same. I seem to get through the install process fine, however, when I reboot and attempt to have Mountain Lion load I get a white screen with gray logo and it hangs! I've checked all bios settings but I am lost/stuck. Any help is much appreciated.

Hi ghuxley, that does indeed sound like the classic boot0 error, a problem with HDDs using the "advanced format" 4,096 byte default block size rather than 512 bytes.

I see that your error was resolved thanks to Adrian B in another thread.

Hi remote, that's great to hear of your success! :thumbup:

You should find that such wireless cards can operate even using just a single antenna. Additional antennas add robustness to improve link quality and reliability, known as antenna diversity (typically dual diversity for two antenna systems). A minimum of one antenna is required, typically marked as "main" and "alt" for the alternative antenna ports.

The Atheros AR5BHB92 card in this MiniMacPro system has two antenna ports, both of which I've connected to the Antec ISK110-VESA case back panel. Typically I only have one antenna connected though, and it works fine.

If your Atheros AR9380 card has three antenna ports, and you wanted to make use of the third antenna port, you could try to find another antenna that might fit inside your case.

No no, two antennas are enough.:D
I have a question for you.
Wich kind of monitor did you used to set up ML?
I mean, at the first start after Unibeast intallation, booting from USB, wich kind of monitor was attached to the MOBO?
A DVI, a HDMI, wich one?

I have a VGA monitor that didn't support the 1900 x 1200 resolution and was simply impossible to install ML with the integrated Intel HD graphics.
If I boot with -x (safe mode) it start (I think in 1024x768) but without it... no way.
Screen stands on the Apple logo with the circle running for hours, it does'nt go on.
If I boot with -x and fine tune the system with Multibeast I got a reboot loop.
To bypass this problem I've got a EVGA GT 640 and with an adapter, the same that I used directly on the MOBO everithings go.
So I think it can be a monitor problem that can't switch to the right resolution.

Thanks for your patience.

remote.

Apple does not support VGA natively using HD3000/4000. You'll need a DVI to VGA or HDMI to VGA adapter or a new monitor.

Apple does not support VGA natively using HD3000/4000. You'll need a DVI to VGA or HDMI to VGA adapter or a new monitor.

I forgot to say that the vga monitor was attached to the MOBO via a DVI TO VGA adapter.
So you used a DVI one.
Mhhh...
I think I'll need a new monitor.
Maybe is cheaper a gt 640.
Mhhh...

I'm sorry may be this is off topic, but- How "easy" is building a Hackintosh for Noobs? Thanks in advance...(I mean, I can build/assemble a PC, I can install Windows or any Software, but not this kind of Software..and all this codes that I've seen...)

I forgot to say that the vga monitor was attached to the MOBO via a DVI TO VGA adapter.
So you used a DVI one.
Mhhh...
I think I'll need a new monitor.
Maybe is cheaper a gt 640.
Mhhh...

Hi remote, to date I've only connected DVI monitors to this system (without VGA adapters). The MiniMacPro's main monitor, also used during the initial system installation, is the Samsung SyncMaster 2333SWPLUS using 1080p at 60 Hz. Occasionally I've connected it to various BenQ monitors (also using DVI without VGA adapters) and a Panasonic Plasma HDTV using HDMI, without any problems.

As Stork commented above, VGA won't work using the HD 4000 integrated graphics, something I've experienced firsthand during another CustoMac build.

Have you tried using a different DVI to VGA adapter?

Your question prompted me to test connecting the MiniMacPro's DVI port to an older Acer AL1715 monitor (vintage 2005) sitting on the desk across the room, through a DVI to VGA adapter.

Initially I tested an Apple DVI to VGA adapter that shipped with an older 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008 Model). The system booted with severely distorted graphics. With Screen Sharing enabled, I used an iPhone Mocha VNC connection to adjust the MiniMacPro's screen resolution, which did not improve the situation.

Finally I replaced the Apple adapter with a much more compact Intel adapter, which I had sitting on the shelf. Instantly the graphics on the AL1715 monitor cleared up, switching to 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz. That's quite a surprising result (especially to see the Apple adapter fail). The working adapter is an Intel E27334-001 which I think shipped with an Intel system board around 2011. According to Intel's website, they're still available for USD 10.00 RRP or GBP 0.99 on eBay. An easy and cheap option to try?

I'm sorry may be this is off topic, but- How "easy" is building a Hackintosh for Noobs? Thanks in advance...(I mean, I can build/assemble a PC, I can install Windows or any Software, but not this kind of Software..and all this codes that I've seen...)

Hi norms2017, this MiniMacPro system was my first CustoMac build as well. Thanks to the excellent guides on this tonymacx86 site and user experiences shared on the forum, building a CustoMac is not much different to building or installing a Windows or Linux system. Possibly the best advice, especially for a first time build, is to stick with known configurations, i.e. parts that are confirmed to work. Build one of the recommended CustoMac systems, or one of the successful user/golden forum builds, or at the very least research the parts you intend to purchase (search this forum to see user experiences).

Hi remote, to date I've only connected DVI monitors to this system (without VGA adapters). The MiniMacPro's main monitor, also used during the initial system installation, is the Samsung SyncMaster 2333SWPLUS using 1080p at 60 Hz. Occasionally I've connected it to various BenQ monitors (also using DVI without VGA adapters) and a Panasonic Plasma HDTV using HDMI, without any problems.

Hi bitdoctor, thanks for your patience.
Yes, I've tried with 2 different DVI to VGA adapter, an original Apple, the one that I use with my mini mac on a tv set, and another that's quite similiar to the intel E27334-001.
I've just bought a DVI to HDMI adapter as well, I did'nt tryed yet but I'll do it during this week end.

The problem, I think, is not related to the type of monitor after you're up and running, the problem is before.
If you're starting to install ML without a DVI monitor you can't finish the installation.
After the installation at the FIRST boot you can't access the system, maybe, not shure but maybe, I can try to adjust the video booting with the -x option.
I'm running now with an EVGA GT 640, the installation was so easy and I used the same DVI to VGA adapter, but the HD 4000 integrated graphics has not been detected by the system so I've no HDMI with Audio.

I think that the DVI port of the MOBO has no support for DSUB out signal.
I will try different solutions.
I've something in mind, maybe with some boot option tricks.
Mh...
I will report my experiments.

Thanks again.

Have you tried running games or CAD programs on this build? How do they perform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back