Contribute
Register

BIOS to EFI upgrade, will it break existing Win7 dual-boot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
GTX 960
Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my mobo BIOS to EFI on my dual-boot ML & Win7 system. I couldn't find anywhere on the forums or google whether that will break the Win7 install. Anyone know?

ML and Win7 are installed on separate SSDs.

Tanx D.

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my mobo BIOS to EFI on my dual-boot ML & Win7 system. I couldn't find anywhere on the forums or google whether that will break the Win7 install. Anyone know?

Tanx D.

Depends on the BIOS upgrade. There must be a choiice in the BIOS to be able to boot legacy OS for both Win7 and for OS X.

If you are talking about updating your Z68 board, it isn't worth it performance wise.

Thanks!
I 'm considering upgrading cause I have some weird issues that seem USB(3) related. It seems that when I have my USB3 SD-card reader plugged in and wake from sleep, my system is partly unresponsive for a minute or 2. OSX appears and application windows come to front when clicked but, for example, I click links or new tab in Thunderbird and nothing happens. After the 2 minutes elapsed suddenly all the commands get executed as if they were queued till then. This is a minor issue in itself but I'm using this machine for live performances and would like to rule out any glitches. For all I know the same thing can cause crashes now and then. No fun while in the midst of a live show.
I 'm using MB's USB3 Universal kext. Anything to do with BIOS vs EFI you think?

Thanks!
I 'm considering upgrading cause I have some weird issues that seem USB(3) related. It seems that when I have my USB3 SD-card reader plugged in and wake from sleep, my system is partly unresponsive for a minute or 2. OSX appears and application windows come to front when clicked but, for example, I click links or new tab in Thunderbird and nothing happens. After the 2 minutes elapsed suddenly all the commands get executed as if they were queued till then. This is a minor issue in itself but I'm using this machine for live performances and would like to rule out any glitches. For all I know the same thing can cause crashes now and then. No fun while in the midst of a live show.
I 'm using MB's USB3 Universal kext. Anything to do with BIOS vs EFI you think?

Wouldn't think so if the delay is on wake after sleep. I think this is purely to do with the OS. I have seen (and read about) thhis same behavior, and it is same on some Macs also. I have an iMac that takes 2-5 minutes after wake before it will recognize a USB drive, even one that was connected before it went to sleep.

I'm having issues trying to get the EFI BIOS to install on my GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 in windows 7. if I just try to run the installer it says I need a 32 bit OS to install, if I try to run as admin it says cannot find file. I even tried installing 32 bit windows 7 and the program cannot continue and freezes up.

Hi,

Tanx D.
Why?
A BIOS upgrade to EFI on a Z68 system probably won't kill your system, but it won't do you any good either. Why upgrade the BIOS to EFI when nothing in your system can take advantage of it? You will still be booting legacy BIOS on both OS X and Win7, so why take a chance on an iffy update that can't help anything?
I would stick with the stable build you have now were I you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back