Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
CPU
Intel Core i7 3930k
Graphics
ASUS ENGT520
Hi, pretty newbie question, but I have an existing CustoMac running 10.8.2, gigabyte board, 3930k i7. My hardware will run El Capitan, and my main software (ProTools) will run happily on El Capitan. So I've built a USB drive and have a second SSD installed to have a completely separate install of El Capitan, just so that I always have the working os/ProTools combo I need while getting the new stuff set up.

When I select the USB drive to boot, it just skips it and loads by existing drive.

I skipped the "BIOS settings" step of the install on the assumption that the BIOS setup that is currently running for my operational system is correct, but do I need to change anything to get through the install on the new drive? And most importantly, if I change anything, will it screw up my Mountain Lion install?

Thanks!

Please follow the forum rules and enter your hardware in your profile properly. AFAIK there is no motherboard model 10.8.2.

What method did you use to create your USB installer? (List your procedure)

Sorry and thanks.

I used Unibeast via this page :: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/ :: to build the USB. I don't recall right now the graphics options I set, but I do believe I set as needed.

Build is
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5, Intel Core i7 3930k, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (DDR3 1600MHz), ASUS ENGT520 SILENT

Running Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.2) after having to get things just right for that graphics card. My reading indicates that the 520 will work without too much hassle in El Capitan, which is why I'm giving this a shot.

It's a pretty old USB drive, could that be an issue, too? Still have to try out a few more USB ports on the back of the machine but just trying to eliminate all possibilities.

Thanks!

Sorry and thanks.

I used Unibeast via this page :: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/ :: to build the USB. I don't recall right now the graphics options I set, but I do believe I set as needed.

Build is
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5, Intel Core i7 3930k, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (DDR3 1600MHz), ASUS ENGT520 SILENT

Running Mountain Lion (OS 10.8.2) after having to get things just right for that graphics card. My reading indicates that the 520 will work without too much hassle in El Capitan, which is why I'm giving this a shot.

It's a pretty old USB drive, could that be an issue, too? Still have to try out a few more USB ports on the back of the machine but just trying to eliminate all possibilities.

Thanks!
The 520 should be natively supported without any injection in the graphics section of clover. May require nvda_enable=1 boot arg.

There are several builds using that board with MacPro6,1 system definition - forum search is your friend.

Thanks! So I should remake the USB drive without any additional graphics options? Where do I add the Nvidia arg?

I'll search now to get some more context!

My first time using the new instructions with clover so I'm still feeling my way through it.

Thanks, done.

I've tried every combination of UEFI / Legacy and NVidia / not when building the USB drive, no love getting it to boot from the thumb drive.

I'm hesitant to enter and change any BIOS settings since this is a functional hack running Mountain Lion that I use daily (starting again soon after a break) for work. I've disconnected all hard drives and other USB dongles and hubs, but do I need to strip down my monitors, or run only a certain connection, to get it to even boot? Right now I select USB in the F12 menu and it just skips right to my main internal drive with Mountain Lion.

Also I notice the EFI partition isn't showing on a reboot...

Ultimately if I need to get new hardware to build from scratch reliably I will, but I figured it was worth a try on my existing rig!

Thanks!

Thanks, done.

I've tried every combination of UEFI / Legacy and NVidia / not when building the USB drive, no love getting it to boot from the thumb drive.

I'm hesitant to enter and change any BIOS settings since this is a functional hack running Mountain Lion that I use daily (starting again soon after a break) for work. I've disconnected all hard drives and other USB dongles and hubs, but do I need to strip down my monitors, or run only a certain connection, to get it to even boot? Right now I select USB in the F12 menu and it just skips right to my main internal drive with Mountain Lion.

Also I notice the EFI partition isn't showing on a reboot...

Ultimately if I need to get new hardware to build from scratch reliably I will, but I figured it was worth a try on my existing rig!

Thanks!
If you are already running ML then the BIOS settings are OK. Since you mention a thumb drive, assume you mean the UniBeast USB installer?

If you are already running ML then the BIOS settings are OK. Since you mention a thumb drive, assume you mean the UniBeast USB installer?

Yes, I installed the unibeast stuff on an 8gb USB thumb drive. The install seems to go fine, I see both the"USB" and the EFI partitions, but when restarting holding F12, I select "UEFI: USB" from the list and it just boots to my Mountain Lion system instead.

It is a relatively old USB drive, I'm going to see if I have another one available.

Thanks for the confirmation on the BIOS settings, that's one thing eliminated from the list.

Yes, I installed the unibeast stuff on an 8gb USB thumb drive. The install seems to go fine, I see both the"USB" and the EFI partitions, but when restarting holding F12, I select "UEFI: USB" from the list and it just boots to my Mountain Lion system instead.

It is a relatively old USB drive, I'm going to see if I have another one available.

Thanks for the confirmation on the BIOS settings, that's one thing eliminated from the list.
Double check your UniBeast USB - was it created UEFI or Legacy mode? Try this:
backup the EFI folder on the USB EFI partition, then delete it from the EFI partition.
download the latest Clover and install selecting only install for UEFI
replace the config.plist, drivers folders and kexts folders of the new install with the backed up ones.

Test to see if it will boot.

A thought I just had - are you currently using Clover UEFI or Chimera/Chameleon as your boot loader for ML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back