Contribute
Register

BIOS not reached during motherboard startup after installing macOS??? ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z-170 A
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
GTX 1060
(pasted from another thread) I wonder if anyone have any knowledge about if macOS boot up procedure can 'harm' motherboards that are somehow unsupported?

I have a Z170A and had to replace it twice (on 'insurance') after that I started using macOS kinda, the boot up of the motherboard became slower at first and then after a few boots with macOS (10-20, quite many) the mother board "every thing is fine indicator lights" stopped lighting and boot failed before it reaches BIOS

EDIT: Also a little weird thing is that the first time I installed macOS on the first motherboard, it last for 3-4 months (even more than 20-30 boots) ... So it really makes me wonder if this really can have to do with macOS at all.

So point is? Motherboard of mine might die again if I install macOS again... Idk what to do xD (I built the PC to run macOS)

Not enough information??? :rolleyes: Ask anything <3

This is weird. The computer should boot to the BIOS without any drives attached at all. Modern motherboards, including yours, often have dual BIOS so you can bork a BIOS completely and swap to the backup BIOS (e.g. if you upgrade the BIOS firmware).

Did you try clearing CMOS? The procedure varies by board, but usually you remove power, find and short the CMOS battery connector e.g. with a screwdriver for a few seconds, reconnect power, boot up, and you should see a warning that the CMOS was reset and asking you to load optimized defaults for the BIOS.

I have a hard time believing macOS caused a motherboard to no longer be able to reach the BIOS. More likely this would be caused by bad power surges. Is the computer plugged into a surge suppressor or UPS, or straight into the wall?

A LOT OF TEXT

Sorry Im tired while typing, CMOS might of been cleared by my part provider before replacing it, as my guarantee might of been voided, I didn't touch anything

Also I use a Bronze certified corsair PSU but ran my second motherboard ONCE (10 minutes) without grounding (the first which last for months, was ran ungrounded all the time, lol). Other: we have dual chord grounding in Sweden. On my second and current motherboard Ive used a anti chock thing which idk if it works

I remember clover failing booting into macOS the boot up right before the (second) motherboard didn't make it into BIOS

A LOT OF TEXT

I might sell this motherboard and buy a GA series motherboard if anyone suspect macOS might of caused the "death" of my motherboards as I was originally planing to buy some cheap Gigabyte thing... Actually I might look into Thunderbolt supporting motherboards to connect my pc with my Apple Thunderbolt monitor I got recently :)

Asus and GA both make high quality boards with good electrical components and protections. macOS on it's own will not fry a board. It's conceivable a roque program (bitcoin miner or some other program that causes CPU/GPU to run hot for long periods) could do it. Bad BIOS settings e.g. incorrect overclocking settings could do it. Surge due to electrical/thunder storm could do it if the system is not adequately protected. Bad quality RAM, bad quality PSU, improper electrical shielding when the box is screwed together, static discharge while working inside the case e.g. not properly grounding yourself could do it. In short lots of reasons it could happen and macOS is at the very bottom of the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back