Contribute
Register

Bios doesn't recognise my drive as an UEFI option, but it recognises my USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I already did everything exactly as you said, but my BIOS just doesn't seem to recognise my SSD as UEFI.

I think it's a problem with BIOS, not my SSD.

Yeah I already did everything exactly as you said, but my BIOS just doesn't seem to recognise my SSD as UEFI.
You can always erase the drive again, reinstall macOS and see if it changes. If the EFI on the USB boots it should also work on your installation SSD. Also, you could reflash the BIOS to the latest available version if you don't have that already.

@Djoxaa16
I am running into this same issue. I have a asus rog strixz 690i mini itx mobo.

I can boot into opencore and macOS (12.3.1 Monterey) from the usb but not from the m2 where the hackintosh EFI is.

Did you ever resolve your problem?

@Djoxaa16
I am running into this same issue. I have a asus rog strixz 690i mini itx mobo.

I can boot into opencore and macOS (12.3.1 Monterey) from the usb but not from the m2 where the hackintosh EFI is.

Did you ever resolve your problem?
Sometimes rarely the bios won't see an OSX EFI bootable partition (and here's the catch 22) until after it successfully boots the first time. A Z490 MSI board I have will do that and even after I resolve it if I clear the NVRAM the bios loses the drive again. My solution, because I also have windows on a separate drive, is to download and use EasyUEFI. You can navigate to and add and name the option to boot the OSX hard drive with it. There are other solutions that will also work but I think this is easier although there is a learning curve.

Last edited:
Sometimes rarely the bios won't see a OSX EFI bootable partition (and here's the catch 22) until after it successfully boots the first time. A Z490 MSI board will do that and even after I resolve it if I clear the NVRAM the bios loses the drive again. My solution, because I also have windows on a separate drive, is to download and use EasyUEFI. You can navigate to and add and name the option to boot the OSX hard drive with it. There are other solutions that will also work but I think this is easier although there is a learning curve.
@Leesureone can you please explain in a little more details as I have tried the EasyUEFI and not sure where I am supposed to add the boot option. I have a Lenovo M72e that has the same issue, will only boot from the USB drive, not the working SSD. Thanks!

Sometimes rarely the bios won't see a OSX EFI bootable partition (and here's the catch 22) until after it successfully boots the first time. A Z490 MSI board will do that and even after I resolve it if I clear the NVRAM the bios loses the drive again. My solution, because I also have windows on a separate drive, is to download and use EasyUEFI. You can navigate to and add and name the option to boot the OSX hard drive with it. There are other solutions that will also work but I think this is easier although there is a learning curve.
Thanks for the advice. After two days of trial and error, scouring the Internet for anything I was able to resolve my issue! It really was reading comprehension fail on me.

Move the EFI FOLDER to the EFI partition to the m2/ssd. I had moved just the Boot & and OC folders over. When I moved it I saw that it resolved it the issue.

Hopefully this helps anyone in a similar position.

@Leesureone can you please explain in a little more details as I have tried the EasyUEFI and not sure where I am supposed to add the boot option. I have a Lenovo M72e that has the same issue, will only boot from the USB drive, not the working SSD. Thanks!
There’s this

and this, you want to add a boot entry from the EFI partition of the drive with OSX on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back