Graphics
intergrated
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, so Im currently on my 2013 built Hackintosh. Running Mavericks and Chimera bootloader. I am unable to update past this due to my System Definition. It is currently setup as a late 2013 iMac.

Specs:
i7 3770K
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H board
EVGA GTX 760
16gb Corsair Vengance Low Profile RAM

I'm assuming its not as simple as just changing my definition and deleting some kexts if I want to go from Mavericks to High Sierra/Mojave.

Also, I would like to change from Chimera to Clover if possible.

Any advice, links etc would be great help.
Thanks Jamie

Create a new installation on a new drive, following the High Sierra or Mojave installation guide. You can then transfer everything across using Migration assistant. Make sure that all important data is backed up to an external drive. I assume that you are using iMac 13,2 system definition for your hardware.

If using iMessage, then note your S/N. and all other information from your existing build - see iMessage guide for further information.

Create a new installation on a new drive, following the High Sierra or Mojave installation guide. You can then transfer everything across using Migration assistant. Make sure that all important data is backed up to an external drive. I assume that you are using iMac 13,2 system definition for your hardware.

If using iMessage, then note your S/N. and all other information from your existing build - see iMessage guide for further information.

Is it required to create a new installation if I'm updating from ElCapitan?
My system definition is iMac 14,2

Is it required to create a new installation if I'm updating from ElCapitan?
My system definition is iMac 14,2
No, it may not be required, but highly recommended. Especially if something goes wrong during the upgrade. It is often less trouble to do a clean install on a new drive/partition so that you have a working version to fall back on. If you value any data, make sure you have a backup.

No, it may not be required, but highly recommended. Especially if something goes wrong during the upgrade. It is often less trouble to do a clean install on a new drive/partition so that you have a working version to fall back on. If you value any data, make sure you have a backup.

Thank you for the advice. I was wondering if the new APFS disk format would be an issue as right now my Mac is in Mac OS Extended, with a second SSD in NTFS for Windows.
Thanks

I was wondering if the new APFS disk format would be an issue as right now my Mac is in Mac OS Extended, with a second SSD in NTFS for Windows.
That will definitely be an issue (especially if it fails). The upgrade will try to convert it, thus if you have the room for another partition, do it on the new partition. Otherwise go with a new drive entirely and transfer your data later.

That will definitely be an issue (especially if it fails). The upgrade will try to convert it, thus if you have the room for another partition, do it on the new partition. Otherwise go with a new drive entirely and transfer your data later.
Is there any way I can install Catalina forcing Mac OS Extended?

Is there any way I can install Catalina forcing Mac OS Extended?
I am not sure. I know there was a way to interrupt the High Sierra installer to not convert, but I have not tried it on Mojave or Catalina. I think some of the security protocols in Catalina require APFS, as it uses two separate containers, one for the OS and one for data.

I am not sure. I know there was a way to interrupt the High Sierra installer to not convert, but I have not tried it on Mojave or Catalina. I think some of the security protocols in Catalina require APFS, as it uses two separate containers, one for the OS and one for data.
Thanks man I really appreciate your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back