Contribute
Register

Big Sur vs Monterey (Music Production)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the Logic X version you need work on Catalina ? If it does you could install that and keep using Clover if you haven't upgraded the bootloader to OC yet. I would highly recommend using OpenCore with Big Sur.
Sadly no, according to Apple, the Minimum System Requirement to install the latest version of Logic is macOS 11.5 https://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/specs/

It's a right pain but by the looks of it, the only option is to build a clean install of Big Sur on a new drive.

I currently have a system running the Clover bootloader + High Siera which I plan to keep on its current drive and leave untouched to be able to boot into both (once I build the Big Sur on a new drive)

Would I have to upgrade the High Siera bootloader to OC to be able to boot into both drives?

Sadly no, according to Apple, the Minimum System Requirement to install the latest version of Logic is macOS 11.5 https://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/specs/

It's a right pain but by the looks of it, the only option is to build a clean install of Big Sur on a new drive.

I currently have a system running the Clover bootloader + High Siera which I plan to keep on its current drive and leave untouched to be able to boot into both (once I build the Big Sur on a new drive)

Would I have to upgrade the High Siera bootloader to OC to be able to boot into both drives?
Planned obsolescence. Thank you, Apple!

Mojave served me well for years. Now I am less happy on Big Sur, and my Monterey tests are not very promising either.

Not something I've ever tried. Don't think you could boot HS via OC with it's current EFI folder.

What you could do to keep things simpler. Disconnect the Sata data cable from the HS drive when you're using Big Sur and vice versa when you want to boot into High Sierra and use the older version of Logic. Not sure how often you'd switch so it may or may not be practical to do that. I use an SSD hot swap bay because I change macOS versions fairly often. Some use Clover, some OC.

It's not true "hot swapping" I shut down the system first when changing the SSD drives.

Last edited:
I'm not doing music production, so YMMV.

I loved Big Sur on my workstation, never a problem with Apps or stability. I allowed myself to be tempted by Monterey. I (wrong) figured since Big Sur was so amazing, Monterey would be the same.

I was wrong. Some Adobe apps (Photoshop & LRC) didn't work out the box (the licensed versions). Other issues include some really annoying USB glitches, and Video issues.

All of these have been worked though and I do love the universal control. It did suck up a lot of hours to deal with the fall out.

My $0.02. Please feel free to leave any change.

Hi there,

Just digging up an old thred here. ABout to insstall a new build with 11900K.

Just wondering if i should still go for Big Sur or attempt Monterey? I'm mainly gonna be doing video editing.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Just digging up an old thred here. ABout to insstall a new build with 11900K.

Just wondering if i should still go for Big Sur or attempt Monterey? I'm mainly gonna be doing video editing.

Thanks!
Apologies for the delay. Monterey was a dumpster fire - initially. I had stability, performance and compatibility issues galore. Fortunately, all of this is mostly in the past.

For example (my) Thunderbolt Displays connect/disconnect after sleep. I don't allow the system to sleep as a workaround. If I power off the display it does the same. Insanely frustrating, but the workaround is fine. A reboot solves the display problems...

another odd issue is DELL's display manager tools - its really neat - if color management / brightness control is important to you. Unfortunately, under Monterey it's specific about your system model (whatever - it wants MacPro or like). There are alternatives out there... just don't have the time to look.

I’m on Monterey running Pro Tools 2022 and UAD console along with tonnes of plugins. Most stable my machine has been in years!

About 4 months ago I jumped from Catalina to Monterey and have zero issues regarding music production. I dig it.

But I switched from Clover to Opencore. Can’t speak to Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back