Contribute
Register

Big Sur Upgrade: Unable to set startup disk in MacOs Update assistant (SDErrorDomain error 104).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, understood but I still get the same error as in the first entry. But I will make another restore and upgrade attempt while keeping control of startup of Install partition until it is no longer available (as I interpret it). But its still odd, I think, that I get the "unable to set startup disk". Doesnt that indicate some error still?

Where do you see unable to set startup disk?

Where do you see unable to set startup disk?
This happens when there is indicated 18-20 minutes left of the installation. The macOs Update Assistant launches, works there for a while and then the message in the first thread entry appear. There is an option to select start disk manually, but when the HD is chosen (there is only one option available) it fails and the only option available in that application is to shut down or restart.

This happens when there is indicated 18-20 minutes left of the installation. The macOs Update Assistant launches, works there for a while and then the message in the first thread entry appear. There is an option to select start disk manually, but when the HD is chosen (there is only one option available) it fails and the only option available in that application is to shut down or restart.

Clover doesn't use the standard macOS startup disk setting. If that's required, you should use OpenCore.

Clover doesn't use the standard macOS startup disk setting. If that's required, you should use OpenCore.
I see. OpenCore seems to be another leap which I doubt I will have time for right now. I would have been quite happy, I guess to settle for a Catalina upgrade, but it seems that I cant get it anymore. I was trying yesterday to get it from the US app store but it wasn't available. Is there a certain place where Catalina can be downloaded?

I see. OpenCore seems to be another leap which I doubt I will have time for right now. I would have been quite happy, I guess to settle for a Catalina upgrade, but it seems that I cant get it anymore. I was trying yesterday to get it from the US app store but it wasn't available. Is there a certain place where Catalina can be downloaded?

I don't know why you are getting errors with Clover. I should be able to update to Big Sur fine...

Look in your App Store purchase history for Catalina to download it.

Yes, got it (catalina). Will make that upgrade (hopefully uneventful) and make some further research when there is time available on OpenCore. I might just purchase another M2 memory and experiment with it on USB. I need my computer to be stable for work. Thanks again for taking time @pastrychef!

Mystery deepens even further (or may give some clues): I got corresponding errors trying to install Catalina, see enclosed images below... So regardless of Catalina or Big Sur I seem to end up with an error related to disks, again the Update assistant launches and asks me to select a startup disk (only one option) which it is not very happy with (i.e. "You cant change the startup disk to the selected disk").

1.jpg
2.jpg

I enclose one of the install logs from my Big Sur attempts. There is some elaboration as per below:

"Jan 10 15:11:23 iMac OSInstaller[197]: Operation: Install Mobile Software Update failed, Failure Reason: Error Domain=com.apple.osinstall Code=-82 "An error occurred applying the software update." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred applying the software update., NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9c5b7980f0 {Error Domain=MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain Code=17 "Failed to create the boot folder." UserInfo={target_update=20C69, NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to create the boot folder., NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9c5b7980c0 {Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=516 "The file “boot” couldn’t be saved in the folder “High Sierra - Data” because a file with the same name already exists." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Volumes/High Sierra - Data/boot, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9c5b798090 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=17 "File exists"}}}}}}

Attachments

• install-log-1610291483.txt
    31.6 KB · Views: 109
I enclose one of the install logs from my Big Sur attempts. There is some elaboration as per below:

"Jan 10 15:11:23 iMac OSInstaller[197]: Operation: Install Mobile Software Update failed, Failure Reason: Error Domain=com.apple.osinstall Code=-82 "An error occurred applying the software update." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred applying the software update., NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9c5b7980f0 {Error Domain=MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain Code=17 "Failed to create the boot folder." UserInfo={target_update=20C69, NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to create the boot folder., NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9c5b7980c0 {Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=516 "The file “boot” couldn’t be saved in the folder “High Sierra - Data” because a file with the same name already exists." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Volumes/High Sierra - Data/boot, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9c5b798090 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=17 "File exists"}}}}}}

Do you have an active ethernet cable connected? Are you connected to Wi-Fi after booting in to the Installer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back