Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo M83 SFF
CPU
i5-4570
Graphics
HD4600
Hi All,

This afternoon I had some time so I thought I would go through the Opencore tutorial and install a fresh version of Catalina. I completed this successfully with only a few issues that I fixed after googling them.

I now have a fully operating Catalina 10.15.17 - The Opencore tutorial recommended the iMac14,4 and this is showing as a iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) in About this mac.

Once I had signed in with my AppleID an updgrade to BigSur is showing, Does anyone know if I will have any issues upgrading with the current hardware settings or should I go with the iMac15,1 ?

I have an i5 4570 in this PC

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Stay with 14,4 as you're using iGPU and not a dGPU which 15,1 iMacs have.

Stay with 14,4 as you're using iGPU and not a dGPU which 15,1 iMacs have.
Perfect Thank You,

That is what I read on the Opencore tutorial. Is there anything else that needs to be done to the config.plist or can I just go ahead and update directly from the settings menu in Catalina?

Is there anything else that needs to be done to the config.plist or can I just go ahead and update directly from the settings menu in Catalina?
Maybe. There are some quirks that may be different. You should compare the Big Sur guide to the Catalina one. For example. CFG must either be unlocked in the BIOS or set the quirk AppleXcpmCfgLock to yes. Check your current config.plist to see. If not set to yes, Big Sur won't even boot.

Screen Shot 21.jpg

Maybe. There are some quirks that may be different. You should compare the Big Sur guide to the Catalina one. For example. CFG must either be unlocked in the BIOS or set the quirk AppleXcpmCfgLock to yes. Check your current config.plist to see. If not set to yes, Big Sur won't even boot.

View attachment 544227
I checked my config.plist and all looked ok,

I have an M93P Tiny which I just installed Catalina on so I used the EFI folder from my M83SFF and booted into Catalina and the upgrade was showing so I figured why not lol

To my amazement it installed without a hitch ! I have to say I am not sure if I would have attempted this under Clover.

Thanks again,

Have a great weekend

I checked my config.plist and all looked ok,

I have an M93P Tiny which I just installed Catalina on so I used the EFI folder from my M83SFF and booted into Catalina and the upgrade was showing so I figured why not lol

To my amazement it installed without a hitch ! I have to say I am not sure if I would have attempted this under Clover.

Thanks again,

Have a great weekend

OK seeing I was on a roll I changed the model identifier to Macmini7,1 downloaded Monterey, created a USB installer and promptly installed it. I am gob smacked it was so easy. I used the same EFI folder I created for Catalina, all I did was change the identifier and create the relevant serial numbers then insert them into to config.plist

If this is how simple these major software upgrades are with the latest version of Opencore I can say without hesitation I wish I had tried this a long time ago. Time to see what other PC's I have lying about !

I am super impressed. Time for a beer lol

If this is how simple these major software upgrades are with the latest version of Opencore I can say without hesitation I wish I had tried this a long time ago.
OC = Best thing since sliced bread and beer of course.

Just so you know, it's about 99.9 % probable that support for Macmini7,1 and HD4600 graphics will end with the release of macOS 13. You can keep using Monterey as long as you'd like but don't expect any more native support from future macOS versions. There will be a new M2 Mac mini later this year and Apple wants 2014 mini owners to upgrade ASAP. 8 years is generally as long as they support any Mac. Which is a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:
OC = Best thing since sliced bread and beer of course.

Just so you know, it's about 99.9 % probable that support for Macmini7,1 and HD4600 graphics will end with the release of macOS 13. You can keep using Monterey as long as you'd like but don't expect any more native support from future macOS versions. There will be a new M2 Mac mini later this year and Apple wants 2014 mini owners to upgrade ASAP. 8 years is generally as long as they support any Mac. Which is a reasonable amount of time.
That doesn't surprise me at all.

Maybe it is time to start looking for some new hardware lol I actually have a Dell Optiplex 3060 SFF with an i7-8700 that I use as my main Windows machine. I might make an image of the main disk and play around with Opencore. These Optiplex's seem to be another good hardware choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back