CPU
i5-8600k
Graphics
Radeon RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Everything works on Catalina, everything works on Big Sur as well until the first shot down (So the install is successfull, i could see the dock with the desktop). After reboot it goes black when normally the apple logo comes for a few sec with the loader.

I have the config below:
Asus TUF Z370 Pro Gaming
Intel Core i5-8600K 3.60GHz LGA-1151 300, Coffee Lake
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Aorus (GV-R57XTAORUS-8GD)
M.2 Samsung 970 PRO
Intel I219V

Any suggestions where should I look for?
- I tried to remove Whatevergreen.kext (After I removed Whatevergreen.kext the first boot was successful, I don't know how is this possible)
- Use MacPro7,1 for SMBIOS
None of the above worked :(

I would really appreciate any help!

Using the latest opencore and the latest kexts from this site.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Did you remember to add agdpmod=pikera to your boot args?

Everything works on Catalina, everything works on Big Sur as well until the first shot down (So the install is successfull, i could see the dock with the desktop). After reboot it goes black when normally the apple logo comes for a few sec with the loader.

I have the config below:
Asus TUF Z370 Pro Gaming
Intel Core i5-8600K 3.60GHz LGA-1151 300, Coffee Lake
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Aorus (GV-R57XTAORUS-8GD)
M.2 Samsung 970 PRO
Intel I219V

Any suggestions where should I look for?
- I tried to remove Whatevergreen.kext (After I removed Whatevergreen.kext the first boot was successful, I don't know how is this possible)
- Use MacPro7,1 for SMBIOS
None of the above worked :(

I would really appreciate any help!

Using the latest opencore and the latest kext from this site.

Hi there.

Were Dortania unable to help? If it is their configuration you are using etc.

The reason I say that is because the latest official releases for Lilu and Whatevergreen are 1.4.7 and 1.4.2 respectively yet you have 1.4.8 and 1.4.3 :crazy:

Are you using beta versions?

As @Superbogey says the agdpmod=pikera boot command along with Whatevergreen should get a 5700XT working.

However, Big Sur is beta too so maybe you have stumbled on a bug ... Try a more recent iMac System-Definition to get around it - iMac19,2 ?? Worth testing.

Hi there.

Were Dortania unable to help? If it is their configuration you are using etc.

The reason I say that is because the latest official releases for Lilu and Whatevergreen are 1.4.7 and 1.4.2 respectively yet you have 1.4.8 and 1.4.3 :crazy:

Are you using beta versions?

As @Superbogey says the agdpmod=pikera boot command along with Whatevergreen should get a 5700XT working.

However, Big Sur is beta too so maybe you have stumbled on a bug ... Try a more recent iMac System-Definition to get around it - iMac19,2 ?? Worth testing.

Hi

Yeah I tried with the latest commits actually. I downloaded it from here.

I tried out “iMac19,2” after suggested but it didn’t help :(

Yeah I think I will have to wait then. Maybe I will go back to the latest release and give it one last chance tomorrow :D Thanks for the help though

Did you try others connectors on your GPU (for example if you use HDMI and the card has multiple HDMI connectors) for your monitor ?

I tried that.

I had similar issues with my old MSI motherboard. Everything was running fine on Catalina but Big Sur turns into black screen. Then I switched to ASUS's motherboard and the problem went away. I don't know exactly what the issue is but at the time I had my MSI motherboard, I managed to reduce the likelihood of black screen by following https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...en-after-ioconsoleusers-gioscreenlock-on-navi. Most importantly change System definition to MacPro7,1 and use agdpmod=ignore instead of pikera. After doing those, I could boot without black screen every now and then (50% of the time).

If the above doesn't work for you, I also find that Big Sur has much more restrictions on your BIOS settings than Catalina. There was a time when I fiddled with my BIOS setting on my ASUS motherboard and ended up with black screens. I fixed it by following the guide very carefully. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#intel-bios-settings. Make sure you set all the BIOS options correctly and for your ASUS motherboard, you should be able to disable CFG Lock in BIOS and leave the two options in OpenCore disabled.

Finally, if neither of the above works, then you can try upgrading to a newer BIOS. Although BE EXTREMELY AWARE that updating BIOS could result in severe issues if you don't know how to do or do it wrongly.

Hey! Thanks for the suggestions. To be honest I went back to Catalina for now. But I think I tried everything you wrote except the bios update.

I had similar issues with my old MSI motherboard. Everything was running fine on Catalina but Big Sur turns into black screen. Then I switched to ASUS's motherboard and the problem went away. I don't know exactly what the issue is but at the time I had my MSI motherboard, I managed to reduce the likelihood of black screen by following https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...en-after-ioconsoleusers-gioscreenlock-on-navi. Most importantly change System definition to MacPro7,1 and use agdpmod=ignore instead of pikera. After doing those, I could boot without black screen every now and then (50% of the time).

If the above doesn't work for you, I also find that Big Sur has much more restrictions on your BIOS settings than Catalina. There was a time when I fiddled with my BIOS setting on my ASUS motherboard and ended up with black screens. I fixed it by following the guide very carefully. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config.plist/coffee-lake.html#intel-bios-settings. Make sure you set all the BIOS options correctly and for your ASUS motherboard, you should be able to disable CFG Lock in BIOS and leave the two options in OpenCore disabled.

Finally, if neither of the above works, then you can try upgrading to a newer BIOS. Although BE EXTREMELY AWARE that updating BIOS could result in severe issues if you don't know how to do or do it wrongly.
agpmode=ignore solve my problem with big sur and my Asus RX 5700 XT.(smbios iMac pro 1,1)
Thanks
No No working stable.. working randomly

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back