Contribute
Register

Big Sur stuck on boot - Z590/11900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone get a "still waiting on root device?" I have the RHUB SSDT and xhciportlimit true, I also tried front and back, 2.0 and 3.0
I would switch usb drives but I've installed via this one before
Using 11700k with ROG strix z590 a
Have you tried formatting and building that flash drive? I've seen the same flash drive go bad after an install. It's possible and a pretty easy fix. Also just double checking that XHCI Handoff is enabled in your BIOS settings and also that Fast Boot is not enabled in your BIOS settings.

So that's what I've been running mine as but I can't seem to get the frame buffer quite right. I haven't bench marked it all. A friend of mine said he has an old RX 560 kicking around so I might try that on for size and see how it feels. But until then I'll keep playing around with different values and see what I come up with.
Let me know if you get a Geekbench 5 for the 11900k/Hero XII. I had to get some IRL work done, but I'll be back on it over the weekend for sure, and I'll update you on any prog. I'm also going to picking up a few more 11900k so I can properly bin them and then sell the other ones. So far I have a SP 78 for my 11900k. What is your prediction for your 11900k?

Let me know if you get a Geekbench 5 for the 11900k/Hero XII. I had to get some IRL work done, but I'll be back on it over the weekend for sure, and I'll update you on any prog. I'm also going to picking up a few more 11900k so I can properly bin them and then sell the other ones. So far I have a SP 78 for my 11900k. What is your prediction for your 11900k?

Sorry, been a busy couple of days. I ran a CPU Geekbench on my system on both Windows (1638 single) and Big Sur (881 single).. the Windows bench was double that of the macOS bench, I'm assuming it must be related to the CPU spoofing or something. I'll have the RX 560 tomorrow or Sunday so I can run some more tests after that. What did your benches look like?

As for my ASUS prediction, I'm currently sitting at 83 but I haven't actually tried OC'ing mine yet, figured I'd like to get everything stable first before I journey down that road.

Sorry, been a busy couple of days. I ran a CPU Geekbench on my system on both Windows (1638 single) and Big Sur (881 single).. the Windows bench was double that of the macOS bench, I'm assuming it must be related to the CPU spoofing or something. I'll have the RX 560 tomorrow or Sunday so I can run some more tests after that. What did your benches look like?

As for my ASUS prediction, I'm currently sitting at 83 but I haven't actually tried OC'ing mine yet, figured I'd like to get everything stable first before I journey down that road.

Remove SSDT-PLUG.aml (CPU PM) and do the test again.

DSDT patch in OpenCore rename PC00 into PCI0 find 50433030 replace 50434930 , because all 500 series uses PC00 instead of PCI0.

I matched a i5 10400 with a Z590 mobo and I'm struggling to enable the IGPU (black screen). At best 14Mb without hardware acceleration. It doesn't work no matter what injection I did. The same cpu paried with a Z490 worked perfectly fine with good IGPU output. Also the system feels slower, boot slow too, seems like a hybrid unfinished mobo.

Remove SSDT-PLUG.aml (CPU PM) and do the test again.

DSDT patch in OpenCore rename PC00 into PCI0 find 50433030 replace 50434930 , because all 500 series uses PC00 instead of PCI0.

I matched a i5 10400 with a Z590 mobo and I'm struggling to enable the IGPU (black screen). At best 14Mb without hardware acceleration. It doesn't work no matter what injection I did. The same cpu paried with a Z490 worked perfectly fine with good IGPU output. Also the system feels slower, boot slow too, seems like a hybrid unfinished mobo.

Okay so without SSDT-PLUG.aml my GB5 CPU score jumped up to 1527.. huge improvement. Do I need to run SSDT-PLUG?

Doing the DSDT patch stopped my installation from booting, I attached a screenshot to make sure that I'm implementing it correctly in my config.plist.

I haven't found good iGPU settings. I know @OOBIDUB said he found some good ones but I'm not sure what they were. My friend gave me a bunk rx560 (or at least it doesn't work in my system at all, like my BIOS won't even recognize it) so I think I'm going to try to see if I can scoop up a used on on eBay or something.

Attachments

• DSDT-Patch.png
    DSDT-Patch.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 106
No need for plug 1 ssdt, in my experience the new CPUs have build in hardware power management.

For the RX 560, try another PCIE slot.

To edit the plist of OC I am using ProperTree look into the picture.

Get MaciASL and look if you have PC00 or PCI0, mine after the patch have PCI0.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 06.58.22.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 06.58.22.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 15.29.06.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 15.29.06.png
    455.5 KB · Views: 81
Okay so without SSDT-PLUG.aml my GB5 CPU score jumped up to 1527.. huge improvement. Do I need to run SSDT-PLUG?

Doing the DSDT patch stopped my installation from booting, I attached a screenshot to make sure that I'm implementing it correctly in my config.plist.

I haven't found good iGPU settings. I know @OOBIDUB said he found some good ones but I'm not sure what they were. My friend gave me a bunk rx560 (or at least it doesn't work in my system at all, like my BIOS won't even recognize it) so I think I'm going to try to see if I can scoop up a used on on eBay or something.
Looking at 655 closely as when trying to spoof those frame buffers, I noticed almost no lag even though I didn't have full acceleration. I had to swap for another board with Amazon, as this hero XIII was being a little weird with one of the m.2 slots, but I should have a replacement in a few days, so I can continue testing and see if we can find something to load. Might be a shot in the dark, but doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the input on unchecking SSDT-PLUG. that helped smoothen things. I was finally able to boot using the aml and USBInjectAll from the Z590 Vision Github. After that, I made my own USBMap. The Realtek USB 2.0 Audio seems to break sleep however. Disabled it for now. All seems pretty solid. besides iGPU and 3.5 jacks of course

I am running a ASUS z590 Maximus VIII Hero with an overclocked Comet Lake i9-10900K, OpenCore 0.6.8 and Big Sur 11.2.3.

I put together a write-up over at the z490 / z590 thread. Thought I should mention it here in case it might help anyone using same board with Rocket Lake.

I hedged on RL when I put this config together last month and am tracking. If RL i9 can work with VDA decoder, single-core Geekbench 5 performance at 1950 (30% increase over what I see on Comet Lake i9) and 2x NVMe (already documented by another user) that's a strong upgrade. Add USB4 and there's something to like.

— Notwithstanding what stupid beasts these latest Intel configs are WRT Apple Silicon :)

Following up on progress on your build...

Can u report:
- SMBIOS
- Framebuffer / Whatevergreen config
- BIOS PCIe config re lane assignments re M.2
- Overclock config (ASUS AI?)
- SSD model, which slot

For me open items are:
- Something in the kernel is constantly eating 35% of one CPU thread. Not a big deal but am curious what's doing it. Kernel tracing might reveal but learning curve
- Board MSR CFG is writeable but if I disable both CFGlock patches boots will sometimes panic, then works next boot.
- Board sleep wakes up after 2 seconds and a flash-drive might disconnect.
- Thunderbolt untested. The z490/z590 thread has some excellent reporting on status of Gigabyte Vision / ASUS Hero z590 TB. It's a mixed bag due to half-baked BIOS and backwards compatibility of hot-plug and new TB security features.

For my z590 10900 build, I've pretty much closed out the whole Dortania guide post-install and am very good with function, performance an stability. My best EFI is posted over at z490/z590 per previous msg.

Thinking about replacing Comet Lake i9 with Rocket Lake. I see a possibility to gain 30% single core benchmark improvement and double SSD throughput by putting in a Rocket Lake i9... But your report is more like a 12% perf gain

My best GB5 single was 1350 early on. Today it's about 1290, which has me wondering about what is buring cycles in the kernel. Some report GB5 of 1900.

I am coming from a 2008 cMP 3,1 so this build feels incredibly responsive and does everything at least 4x faster and this new silicon murders the old mac on key tasks like encryption.

Playing with a M1 MBP I am astonished by its responsiveness and compute power in 25W envelope with no fan at all, but it throttles easily under multicore load while this space heater can run at full load all day with highend graphics and 8x the RAM. It gives a substantial compute increase over a fully loaded iMac 20,2 and costs literally half as much. Overall compares insanely well with 12 core Mac Pro at 1/3 cost. Apple is still milking its market on storage and config options.

Random blabbering opinions: I am very skeptical about prospects for Intel Alder Lake in general, and for macOS almost zilch to look forward to. So in my view, this z590 is swan song, end of an era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back