Contribute
Register

Big Sur stuck on boot - Z590/11900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am aware that the 1080 isn't supported but my Big Sur installation at least used to boot to the desktop so I know it's possible to make it that far with a 1080 (even if actually using it isn't great). I also know the i9 iGPU may not be supported but I would be lying if I said I wasn't holding out hope that Apple will support the 11900 eventually. I may pick up an AMD GPU to use but I would like to see if I can at least get this installation working.
I see. Do go ahead and tell us your results.

Regarding the iGPU, unless Apple were to use a CPU with that iGPU in a future Intel Mac (which I don't think is going to happen due to the ongoing Apple Silicon transition) I don't think we will see support for it. Unless of course it is made to work via some sort of spoofing like the CPU spoof which apparently make it work, even with High Sierra according to Middleman.

So don't get your hopes up.

I haven't seen your EFI but if you haven't try NVMefix.kext.
That fixes a lot of those nvme errors

Hey Middleman, would you be able to post your latest working EFI? I tried the EFI build in the thread you linked and that didn't work for me, I also tried swapping in my SSDTs that I created, as well as changing my original EFI build to an iMac 18,3 with a Comet Lake (EB0609) spoof, as well as the one you had (EA0609). Big Sur still gets stuck on the same NVMe Assert failed as I posted before but my High Sierra drive gets stuck at a CPU kernal panic. Any ideas?
You need to make sure to remove your current EFI folder and that only my complete EFI folder is used. Please do not add anything else or mixing/matching the kexts/SSDTs, use the ones that are there. As the config.plist I have is heavily edited from OC norm. You will also need to fill in the PlatformInfo fields in the config.plist with the relevant serials and ROM values (in the fields I've marked). Use SMBIOS iMac 18,3 if it helps.

In addition, you need to make sure your motherboard is up to date on the firmware (F20d) and have the values set to hackintosh compatible settings. This means setting it to AHCI mode, IGPU Auto, XHCI handoff enabled, CSR Lock disabled, Secure Boot disabled, CSM disabled, Above 4G Decoding Enabled, UEFI boot mode.

As to your error, I could only think NVMe Assert failed could have something to do with your NVMe format. You must preformat your NVMe with macOS APFS format first, ideally on another machine, to get past the Big Sur installation. That was what happened to me when I tried to install it on the Atari VCS.

Alright so I got it up and running! I updated my bios to the latest version from ASUS (0704) as well as updating all the kexts with the versions released yesterday by Acidanthera and OC 0.6.8, and after that both my existing Big Sur and High Sierra installations booted up. I tested on the iGPU with the Comet Lake spoof and that DOES indeed work in Big Sur. I still need to get my ethernet, wifi, and thunderbolt ports to work so once I do I will post my EFI build for others to use. Thanks to all for your help so far!

That's great to hear! And the fact that you actually got the 11900K IGPU working on Big Sur? That's big news indeed! We should notify someone about this. Do you have a screenshot of the iGPU working in System Profile?

For your WiFi, go check out itlwm.kext, you will need that plus the Heliport app to enable the Intel WiFi.

That's great to hear! And the fact that you actually got the 11900K IGPU working on Big Sur? That's big news indeed! We should notify someone about this. Do you have a screenshot of the iGPU working in System Profile?

For your WiFi, go check out itlwm.kext, you will need that plus the Heliport app to enable the Intel WiFi.

I did! Well, the iGPU is working with the CPU Spoofed to a Comet Lake i9 (EB0609). I haven't quite figured out the frame buffer yet because I don't know what values I should be putting for 'device-id' (I know I have to tell my config that I'm using a fake CPU ID). I'm guessing I can use the default values for a desktop UHD-630 as listed in the OpenCore guide, 'AAPL,ig-platform-id' (07009B3E) and 'framebuffer-stolenmem' (00003001), but again I'm not quite sure so any input would be appreciated!

Also I'll check out that kext for the Intel WiFi, I currently have the wired ethernet working but it would be nice to get the WiFi working as well.

Attachments

• 11900-iGPU-BigSur.png
    11900-iGPU-BigSur.png
    372.6 KB · Views: 625
Wow that definitely looks like it is working! That's the first time I've ever seen the words 'Wide Quad High Definition' come up on system info! :thumbup:

As for the frame buffer, if it's working I don't think you don't need to change anything at this stage! I assume its working maybe because the architecture is actually based on Comet Lake? If it is the same setup as your target architecture it means it is working. Which means it is likely running natively.

But you could run IORegistryExplorer and see what it says under the IGPU section. It may show you something.

For fun, you could maybe also check if Quicksync functionality is enabled using VideoProc.
But that is an amazing feat!

Wow that definitely looks like it is working! That's the first time I've ever seen the words 'Wide Quad High Definition' come up on system info! :thumbup:

As for the frame buffer, if it's working I don't think you don't need to change anything at this stage! I assume its working maybe because the architecture is actually based on Comet Lake? If it is the same setup as your target architecture it means it is working. Which means it is likely running natively.

But you could run IORegistryExplorer and see what it says under the IGPU section. It may show you something.

For fun, you could maybe also check if Quicksync functionality is enabled using VideoProc.
But that is an amazing feat!
14mb so no qe/ci I believe. I think it may work if forced vesa, e.g. - igfxvesa or basic drivers we see when booting an nvidia card.
Yet graphics acceleration may not work.
If it does, hip hip hurray! Although I just purchased a white rx 580 like 10 minutes ago lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back