Big Sur stuck on boot - Z590/11900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XIII Hero
CPU
i9-11900k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 3080ti (win) // RX580 (macOS)
DISCLAIMER: Before I get flamed, I'm fully aware that my build is too new for there to be known support for it but I figured it's worth a shot.

I had a previously working installation of Big Sur on an SSD before I upgraded my system so I know the installation itself works and now I'm trying to get it working with my new setup. I feel like I'm very close but I'm currently getting stuck on at "AppleNVMe Assert Failed" (I've included a screenshot of the screen where I get stuck).

I've set "ReleaseUSBOwnership" to true in my config.plist as well as included the NVMEFix.kext but no change. I've experimented with different SSDT files (pre-built and custom ones) to see if it was a setup issue.

Hardware setup:
  • CPU: Intel i9-11900k
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XIII Hero
  • RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
  • Storage:
    • SSD1: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Working Windows 10 installation)
    • SSD2: Samsung 970 EVO (Non-plus, latest firmware, Big Sur installation)

Config:
  • Bootloader: OpenCore 0.6.7
  • SMBIOS: iMac 20,2
  • CPUID Spoof: Comet Lake (EB0609)
  • DSDT Setup
    • Followed the entire OpenCore guide and used SSDTTime to create the custom DSDT/SSDT ACPI files. I've included the entire DSDT output from SSDTTime incase they are helpful.

I'm happy to be the guinea pig and experiment with different options for this setup so any and all help would be appreciated. Please let me know if any more information is needed.

Attachments

• BigSirError.jpeg
    BigSirError.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 287
  • EFI-AndRelated.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Perhaps you can try to disable the internal graphic. My understanding intel uses new graphic Intel® UHD Graphics 750, which may not be supported by current built of Mac OS.

Check here for GPU Support Guide.

DISCLAIMER: Before I get flamed, I'm fully aware that my build is too new for there to be known support for it but I figured it's worth a shot.

I had a previously working installation of Big Sur on an SSD before I upgraded my system so I know the installation itself works and now I'm trying to get it working with my new setup. I feel like I'm very close but I'm currently getting stuck on at "AppleNVMe Assert Failed" (I've included a screenshot of the screen where I get stuck).

I've set "ReleaseUSBOwnership" to true in my config.plist as well as included the NVMEFix.kext but no change. I've experimented with different SSDT files (pre-built and custom ones) to see if it was a setup issue.

Hardware setup:
  • CPU: Intel i9-11900k
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XIII Hero
  • RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600
  • Storage:
    • SSD1: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Working Windows 10 installation)
    • SSD2: Samsung 970 EVO (Non-plus, latest firmware, Big Sur installation)

Config:
  • Bootloader: OpenCore 0.6.7
  • SMBIOS: iMac 20,2
  • CPUID Spoof: Comet Lake (EB0609)
  • DSDT Setup
    • Followed the entire OpenCore guide and used SSDTTime to create the custom DSDT/SSDT ACPI files. I've included the entire DSDT output from SSDTTime incase they are helpful.

I'm happy to be the guinea pig and experiment with different options for this setup so any and all help would be appreciated. Please let me know if any more information is needed.
You are aware that the GTX 1080 is not supported on MacOS Big Sur, and that the CPU integrated graphics of the i9 11900K may not be supported, right?

You are aware that the GTX 1080 is not supported on MacOS Big Sur, and that the CPU integrated graphics of the i9 11900K may not be supported, right?

I am aware that the 1080 isn't supported but my Big Sur installation at least used to boot to the desktop so I know it's possible to make it that far with a 1080 (even if actually using it isn't great). I also know the i9 iGPU may not be supported but I would be lying if I said I wasn't holding out hope that Apple will support the 11900 eventually. I may pick up an AMD GPU to use but I would like to see if I can at least get this installation working.

I can confirm the i9 works with Mojave and with High Sierra using the Comet Lake spoofing. You can use my EFI build here, which did also work with Big Sur on the i5 10400 > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-xtreme-core-i5-10400-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

I haven’t tried the UHD750 yet so I don’t know if it will boot via IGPU only.

Awesome, thanks! I also have an older High Sierra installation that I was running on before so hopefully I can at least get that up and running. I'll deep dive through your post and report back after I've tried a few things.

I can confirm the i9 works with Mojave and with High Sierra using the Comet Lake spoofing. You can use my EFI build here, which did also work with Big Sur on the i5 10400 > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-xtreme-core-i5-10400-nvidia-gtx-1060.310287/

I haven’t tried the UHD750 yet so I don’t know if it will boot via IGPU only.
Yes i9 is supported up to 10th generation, the concerns is i9-11900, which is rocket lake or 11th gen intel with new iGPU, intel Xe Graphic aka UHD 750.

Best option is comet lake or other 10th gen in my opinion.

Yes i9 is supported up to 10th generation, the concerns is i9-11900, which is rocket lake or 11th gen intel with new iGPU, intel Xe Graphic aka UHD 750.

Best option is comet lake or other 10th gen in my opinion.
maxxx,

I think you missed my point when I said the i9 works on High Sierra and Mojave - I meant on the new i9 11900K.
I got this weekend and tried it and it works (via spoofing). Funnily the system info also displays the i9 system modules ie. PCI Bridge as Comet Lake. This means technically it should also work with Big Sur.

maxxx,

I think you missed my point when I said the i9 works on High Sierra and Mojave - I meant on the new i9 11900K.
I got this weekend and tried it and it works (via spoofing). Funnily the system info also displays the i9 system modules ie. PCI Bridge as Comet Lake. This means technically it should also work with Big Sur.

Hey Middleman, would you be able to post your latest working EFI? I tried the EFI build in the thread you linked and that didn't work for me, I also tried swapping in my SSDTs that I created, as well as changing my original EFI build to an iMac 18,3 with a Comet Lake (EB0609) spoof, as well as the one you had (EA0609). Big Sur still gets stuck on the same NVMe Assert failed as I posted before but my High Sierra drive gets stuck at a CPU kernal panic. Any ideas?

Attachments

• HighSierraPanic.jpeg
    HighSierraPanic.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 145
maxxx,

I got you man, thanks for clarifiying. On side note, have you ever checked your ssd write usage? Mine is so high, Big Sur writes alot to disk. I posted on another thread. Good luck to verancl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back