Contribute
Register

Big Sur : Software for bootable backup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390M Gaming
CPU
i3 9100
Graphics
Radeon RX 460
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello !

I'm quite confused with Big Sur and the possibility to make a fully bootable backup. ASR is not yet fixed by Apple ?

What software do you use ?

Thanks in advance :)

CCC is what most people use. https://bombich.com/download

There is also a script by CaseySJ that auto copies the EFI partition's contents while making the clone.

I made a clone of my macOS Big Sur drive (to an external HDD) and it took about 5 minutes (there's not much on it at present as it just a test drive) . The clone was not bootable and I forgot about the CaseySJ script

The notes on Carbon Copy Cloner state that macOS Big Sur does not have support currently to allow CCC to make bootable clones so the CCC author Bromwich recommended installing macOS Big Sur on your cloned backup so I did this and it took and age (seriously, I nearly gave up) however it did actually work.

I now have a bootable clone of my macOS Big Sur nvme test drive however once I get to the GUI Login screen, my User Name is not there and instead I am greeted by Other so I tried inputting my user name and password it is not recognise.

I can access the data from the clone but I cannot get past the boot screen. I tried booting into the Recovery Partition and firing up the Terminal to try a password reset however it points to my working install and not the bootable clone so I'm back to sqare one.

Has anyone had success with this ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back