Contribute
Register

Big Sur random screen freezes with green lines then restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Edhawk
Thanks a lot for going through my EFI folder, I really appreciate it :)

To answer your questions: I added SSDT DTPG.aml as I understood it was needed for Thunderbolt. Added SBUS-MCHC.aml cause I had check EFI folders of two people that made a hack with same motherboard (but i9 10900) but maybe I don't need it.

I do have a Thunderbolt port on my I/O plate but I'm not sure I've configured it properly. I'd like to use it but I don't have a Thunderbold device to test if it works and I don't feel like being something if I can't make it work. I know the Intel's JHL7540 Thunderbolt 3 can be configured to work with hack (those two people with same motherboard had it working) but I'm not really sure how to achieve this.

Had a look at my USBPorts kext and I'm sure I had configured Thunderbolt but it doesn't seem to be there. I've tried so many different things, maybe it was in another version of my plist... but Thunderbolt will be for later; I would just like to try and have the system stable for the time being :)

I really appreciate you going through my plist and make changes. I am currently on iMac 20,1; could you just confirm the steps to go back to 20,2 are correct please? I've added my iMac 20,2 ID's back.

1) sign out of iCloud, Apple services
2) disconnect from internet
3) replace EFI folder
4) reboot
5) at OC's picker, clear NVRAM
6) sign in to iCloud, Apple services

Is this correct?

Yes that is correct.

Made the changes and I'm now back on iMac 20,2 with the EFI you modified, hopefully it will be more stable :)
About the Thunderbolt port, it's weird that it does not appear in the USBmap.kext as it shows up in Hackintool after a refresh and using the kext; Should I redo it?

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.58.08.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.58.08.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 11.58.08.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 22
Is that screenshot from Hackintool what your are 'Exporting' when creating your USBPorts.kext, SSDT-UIAC.aml etc.

What do the two files mentioned above show when you export them, are the only activating and including the XHC controller ports?

Hi there,
that screenshot was from the USBports.kext from post #3 which I was using but after your comment, I started from scratch. It seems to work better and now the correct ports show directly in hackintool which wasn't the case before as I needed to refresh ports before seeing the ones mapped.

Attached is the new one I created; is everything ok now?

The only doubt I have is about USR1 and USR2; these were also present so I made another kext which includes these as "internal".

I am currently using the one without USR1 and USR2; is it ok or should I use the other one? Thanks!

PS: Shall use the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml generated together with USBports.kext instead of the one from OC's install guide which I'm currently using? What about SSDT-UIAC.aml? So far when using Hackintool to map USB ports, I only ever used the generated USBports.kext, not the other files.

Sorry for all the questions :)

Attachments

• USBPorts.kext.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 27
  • USBPorts_withUSR.kext.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Which physical ports work with USR1 and USR2?

Yes, use the SSDT-USBX.aml generated with the USBPorts.kext, as that will be specific/custom for your setup.

You either use the USBPorts.kext or the SSDT_UIAC.aml never the two together.

You are best served using the USBPorts.kext as you then don't need to use USBInjectAll.kext.

If you use the SSDT-UIAC.aml in place of the USBPorts.kext then you have to use USBInjectAll.kext for the SSDT to work correctly.

none, except Thunderbolt maybe in some configuration.
I'll stick with the kext without USR1 and USR2, I have also replaced SSDT-USBX.aml with the one generated by Hackintool.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go through my EFI and answering all my questions, everything seems to work much better now :)

The only thing I still don't get is how to enable TB3 port on the motherboard (it's enabled in BIOS), I know it can be done but I don't get how. I should probably ask CaseySJ how to use the file on HackindROM website, I can see and download the controllers file for my board or a close enough one but I don't know if there's an additional file needed for TB3 to work. I should probably start a new thread for that though :)

Starting a new thread for the Thunderbolt issues is probably the right thing to do.

FYI.
The HackinDROM site helps you create a custom SSDT for your TB device. What is essential is you know the ACPI address of your TB card, as that is required to create the custom SSDT. You need to look in your IOReg to find this ACPI Address.

The SSDT is then added to your system /OC/ACPI folder & config.plist or /CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

People had to update the firmware for the Thunderbolt device in Windows before it would work in macOS. I am not sure if that is still the case. CaseySJ or one of the other TB guru's would know better what is required, I understand the main workings and have been able to help a few people with their TB setups, years ago. However, troubleshooting TB issues on the new Z490 and Z590 Boards is not really something I can do.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back