Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
@deeveedee, this could be something to try out:
It appears that at least on the lenovos, people are reporting that getting a higher wattage power supply unleashes more CPU performance. Especially on the i7-i9. My 65W G5 came with a 90W Power supply but our CPUs have a PL2 of 135W. I don't know how HP handles these. HP parts research seem indicate that HP uses the same Motherboard and cooling for the 65W and 95W CPUs so the major difference would be the 150W power supply. the 95W i9 has a PL2 of 235W... Which I don't think these machine can sustain. I ordered a 150W power supply to see if it could help the multi thread performance of the i9 9900. In comparison, Lenovo uses 135W/170W/230W power supplies Vs the puny 90W from HP for 65W TDP CPUs. Even the 35W i9 9900T appears to benefit from getting 135W Vs. 65W on the lenovos. Some info here.

Last edited by a moderator:
@rafale77 Sounds like a good theory. Let us know what you find. I do have a 150W PS around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Upgrade to Big Sur 11.6.5 was smooth.

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 9.33.14 AM.png

For 800 G5 Mini with i9-9900, I'm using 90W adapter. I've checked on web site that i9-9900 consuming 65w it self. Is that ok for best perfomance ? I'm confusing that is 90W provide enough power or not :think:

For 800 G5 Mini with i9-9900, I'm using 90W adapter. I've checked on web site that i9-9900 consuming 65w it self. Is that ok for best perfomance ? I'm confusing that is 90W provide enough power or not :think:
To save you from doing some research on the intel CPU wattages, I will summarize this in a few sentences:
The i9-9900 has a TDP of 65W which means really that it has a PL1 (Power limit applied after 28s of high load) of 65W but various CPUs actually have short term burst power limit (PL2) and the i9 is 135W. So what I am saying is that it not sufficient to power the i7 and i9. Depending on how the Motherboard on the HP handles power limits, it is possible that you may get better performance with a higher capacity power supply. Apparently the Lenovo Tinys do so I will test with the HP as well.

To save you from doing some research on the intel CPU wattages, I will summarize this in a few sentences:
The i9-9900 has a TDP of 65W which means really that it has a PL1 (Power limit applied after 28s of high load) of 65W but various CPUs actually have short term burst power limit (PL2) and the i9 is 135W. So what I am saying is that it not sufficient to power the i7 and i9. Depending on how the Motherboard on the HP handles power limits, it is possible that you may get better performance with a higher capacity power supply. Apparently the Lenovo Tinys do so I will test with the HP as well.
@rafale77 tks for sharing your knowledge. I believe lots of us have the same setup as G5 + i9 9900, so we are all using 90W adapter right ? I've searching arround that G5 support 135W adapter also

I followed these posts on HP G5 PSU wattages, got mine used on ebay and it has an i5 9500 processor, doesn't it seem strange I came with 150 watt PSU?

Attachments

• HP alimentatore-2022-03-16 08.25.21.jpg
    HP alimentatore-2022-03-16 08.25.21.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 64
The only way to know the affect of the PSU power on a given HP Mini's real and synthetic benchmarks is to test. We'll know soon when @rafale77 tests the G5 Mini / i9-9900 with a 150W PSU and compares to tests with a 90W PSU.

The 150W and 90W PSUs are "interchangeable" (one of my Mini's also came with a 150W PSU), so I just need to find it to perform my own test. It's not unreasonable to expect that when purchasing "used" or "pre-owned" units, that the PSUs could be other than what HP originally packaged with the new unit.

Until the actual performance is measured, we need to temper our expectations based on the power dissipation limit of the HP mini package. It is very possible that HP is including a 90W PSU, because the system is thermally limiting itself such that its power consumption never requires a larger PSU.

I'm waiting for the actual tests and will be pleasantly surprised if the 150W PSU makes a difference.

... in the mean time, if you are looking for an easy way to boost your system performance and you only have one of your two memory slots populated, populate the other memory slot with a matching SODIMM. See my observation here.

Last edited:
@rafale77 The PL1 and PL2 values that you cited are Intel's recommended. Manufacturers are free to set these in their device firmware and they do change these routinely. Many mfgs actually exceed Intel's recommended limits to maximize performance. I'm still interested in seeing your test results, but we may be up against HP's programmed limits. I haven't spent much time on this, but using the steps below, I was able to extract the HP programmed limits for my HP Envy laptop running Big Sur.

Package Power Limits from HP Envy x360 i5-8250U (Big Sur, MBP 15,2)
Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.22.42 PM.png

Hackintool shows these power limits when PikeRAlpha's AppleIntelInfo.kext is loaded. I have not run the same on this HackMini8,1.

To view AppleIntelInfo in Big Sur, I did the following (not sure it was all necessary, but this is what I did):
  1. Disable SIP using the instructions here
  2. Download PikeRAlpha's AppleIntelInfo.kext from here
  3. Build AppleIntelInfo.kext with XCode
  4. Change AppleIntelInfo.kext ownership and permissions as per PikeRAlpha's instructions here
  5. Load AppleIntelInfo.kext with
    Code:
    sudo kmutil load -p AppleIntelInfo.kext -z
  6. Attempting to load AppleIntelInfo.kext will result in a "you must reboot" error the first time. Reboot (still with SIP disabled)
  7. Load (again) AppleIntelInfo.kext using command from Step 5
  8. Open Hackintool v3.8.4
  9. Select the Hackintool Utilities tab and tap the Get AppleIntelInfo icon (icon looks like a CPU)
  10. Re-enable SIP and reboot
To disable SIP, I made the config.plist change on a USB stick and booted with the USB stick. To enable SIP, I removed the USB stick and rebooted.

Last edited:
@rafale77 I performed the steps in my previous post on my HackMini8,1 (HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini 65W, i9-9900, BIOS 02.12.00 Rev.A, Big Sur 11.6.5, OC 0.7.9). HP's programmed PL2 is 95 Watt. Even with HP's reduced PL2, I think you might be on to something with your 150W PSU. Looking forward to your test results with the 150W vs 90W PSU.

Package Power Limits for HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini 65W (BIOS 02.12.00 Rev.A, i9-9900)
Screen Shot 2022-03-18 at 12.54.10 PM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back