Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
As my old "real" mac mini from 2011 suddenly died, I bought myself a second hand mini G5 to replace it.

A long time have passed since I built my last hackintosh (was a HP8300 SFF which is still running btw) so I was expecting tons of diificulties to build a more recent one.

But I finally had none, by simply using the provided files attached in the 1st page without any other modifications (appart from generating my serials) I had my new setup up and running.

That's simply amazing. Big thanks for all your work.

Upgrade from OC 0.7.7 to OC 0.7.8 is very easy - no config.plist changes.

Changes from OC 0.7.7 EFI to OC 0.7.8 EFI
  • EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi
  • EFI/OC/Kexts:
    • Update Lilu.kext 1.5.9 -> 1.6.0
    • Update AppleALC.kext 1.6.8 -> 1.6.9
    • Update WhateverGreen.kext 1.5.6 -> 1.5.7
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
  • EFI/OC/config.plist:
    • No changes

HP has released BIOS updates for the EliteDesk 800 G4 and G5 Minis (version 02.18.00 Rev.A for the G4 Mini and version 02.12.00 Rev.A for the G5 Mini). These updates have more "security vulnerability" updates.

I have not tested these BIOS versions and welcome test results from anyone who does test them.

I have attached my OC 0.7.8 EFI to Post #1. This EFI is my current baseline and includes the following changes from the OC0.7.7-EFI-r001 that I had last posted. Note that I never posted my OC-0.7.7-EFI-r002 which changed Quirks LapicKernelPanic and ProtectUefiServices. These Quirk changes are included in my OC-0.7.8-EFI-r001.

OC 0.7.8 EFI R001 changes from OC 0.7.7 EFI R001
EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, AudioDxe.efi
EFI/OC/Kexts:
- Update Lilu.kext 1.5.9 -> 1.6.0
- Update AppleALC.kext 1.6.8 -> 1.6.9
- Update WhateverGreen.kext 1.5.6 -> 1.5.7
EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
EFI/OC/ACPI:
- Updated SSDT-XOSI to include Windows 11 (Windows 2021). The HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini ACPI doesn't reference Windows versions beyond Windows 2017 (Windows 10, version 1703), so this update will have no affect on our hack's operation. This change is to keep my SSDT-XOSI consistent across my hacks.
EFI/OC/config.plist
- Kernel > Quirk > LapicKernelPanic: Change from False to True (Dortania recommendation for HP machines)
- Booter > Quirk > ProtectUefiServices: Change from True to False (Dortania recommendation for CoffeeLake)

Last edited:
Big lesson learned (for me). Sharing so you can learn from my mistake.

I thought I was being smart by using 8" "pigtail" straight-through male/female USB cables to make it easier for me to plug USB devices into my HackMini8,l ports. It turns out that what I thought were simply "straight-through" cables affected how the USB device negotiated with the USB port. My USB3 devices connected via the pigtail cables were connecting as USB2 (with USB2 current limits and data rates as viewed in About This Mac > System Report). Eliminating the pigtail connector and connecting the USB3 devices directly to the port allowed the USB3 devices to negotiate as USB3 with higher USB3 current limits and data rates.

Upgrade to 11.6.4 was very easy. No issues.

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 6.00.55 PM.png

I updated my 800 G5 Mini BIOS to version 02.12.00 Rev.A using the built-in updater within the BIOS - no issues. Just be patient with lots of reboots and messages indicating that "this will take a few minutes." Once I started the process, I didn't touch my system again until macOS booted.

I will not be testing the firmware update on an 800 G4 Mini (I no longer have a G4 Mini running macOS), so if someone else performs this BIOS update on their G4 Mini, please report your results. Thank you.

A little off-topic trip down memory lane... my hacking adventure began with the purchase of this retail DVD.

snow-leopard.jpg

MacOS updates to Big Sur 11.6.x and Monterey 12.2.x broke MacOS printing to Microsoft Windows SMB share (again). I added the fix for this here.

I've been participating in a conversation here that claims that duplication of the USB power properties in USBPorts.kext and SSDT-USBX is wrong (see words like "never a good thing," "not recommended," "lead to catastrophic results").

I don't agree and believe that there is no harm in duplicating the USB Power Properties (as is the case in the EFIs here), as long as the defined power properties are the same (as they are). Further, Rehabman's thread here suggests that one may override the other, although I'm not sure that's still the case with Big Sur and Monterey).

For now, my EFI's will retain the duplicate USB power properties in SSDT-USBX and USBPorts.kext. I'm basing my conclusion on actual results and extensive testing from multiple rigs that are all configured with duplicated USB power settings. I remain open to someone else explaining why duplicating the properties is wrong (maybe even "catastrophic") for our HackMinis as long as you show test results to substantiate.

EDIT: Note also that the same conversation I referenced above mentions using SSDT-TIME to generate HPET and related IRQ patches. I still believe that Device (HPET) should simply be disabled for Skylake and newer (as is the case with real Macs and as is the case for my EFIs posted here.

If anything is to be learned from the conversation, it's that there's more than one way to create a hack. Be wary of claims that denounce one method as wrong or claim that another method is the only way. Especially if I make the claim ;)

EDIT2: For a bit of history, here is where I switched from having USB Power Properties only in USBPorts.kext to adding SSDT-USBX.

EDIT3: More history... here is where I first recognized that Apple was disabling HPET in newer Macs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back