Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK DP to HDMI should work, at least it does in 2 of my laptops and in my iMac. The variables that could affect the outcome are the selected SMBIOS and if using Catalina+ OS, which is more restrictive of ports, and in this case if the selected model doesn't have a DP or HDMI output, then it will probably need more hacking to work.

Edit. My DP - HDMI adapter is active, it is not a simple cable, but a dongle. So that also may affect outcome. If you use a passive cable, the port needs to be able to output the HDMI signal albeit using a DP connection. (simple framebuffer-connect patch)

On December 27, 2021, HP released BIOS update version 02.17.00 Rev.A for the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini. This means that there are now recent BIOS updates for both the G4 Mini and the G5 Mini.

If anyone tests either of these recent BIOS updates with macOS, please post your test results here. Thank you.

HP released BIOS update version 02.17.00 Rev.A for the EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini.

I read on HP's website that they were working on delivering BIOS updates via the Windows Update function. Then, they seem to have run into problems and they canceled this effort.

So: is there any risk of running Windows on our Hacks and have the BIOS update executed without our knowledge or any proactive action on our part if we boot into Windows?

EDIT: This would be a post that reflects what I read at the time.

Last edited:
@thomaswidter Thanks for sharing. I think it would be a mistake for HP to force BIOS updates via Windows Update, but stranger things have happened. Hopefully someone tests the new BIOS versions soon so we don't have to worry about it.

Just updated both my 600 G5 and 800 G5 to resp. version R22 and R21 which correspond to BIOS 2.11.00 which includes security updates for the intel ME.

Nothing bad to report so far. All seems to be up and running the same. The BIOS would refuse to update directly from the BIOS menu through the HP website. I ended up having to create a USB drive using the HP windows tool.

EDIT: My OC 0.7.7 EFI is now attached to Post #1.

I finally had time to update the BIOS on my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini (from 02.10 to 02.11) and to update OpenCore from OC 0.7.6 to OC 0.7.7. I'm still running Big Sur 11.6.2 as my production baseline OS. Both updates were without challenges. More details below...

I updated my HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini BIOS from 02.10 to 02.11 using HP's updater within the BIOS. This BIOS update method did not work for me when updating to 02.10 and I had to boot Windows and perform the update to 02.10 using HP's Windows executable. The BIOS update from 02.10 to 02.11 required multiple reboots (after starting the BIOS update, be patient, don't touch any keys and and wait for all updates to complete). The only "issue" I experienced after the BIOS update was that my storage boot order was reset to factory. I like USB to boot first and I disable SATA0 boot, so I needed to modify my boot order after the BIOS update. After the BIOS update to 02.11, all appears to be working normally.

I updated OC 0.7.6 to OC 0.7.7 with the changes here (include @rafale77 's suggested AudioDxe.efi update here if you enable the boot chime). The OC update to 0.7.7 was uneventful.

thumbnail_IMG_1874.jpg

Last edited:
For those who want to enable the boot chime (startup audio) with the new OC UEFI audio config, I did some experimenting. The following config.plist properties enabled the boot chime on my HackMini8,1. I don't like the startup delay that is added when enabling the boot chime, so I keep it disabled. I'm providing this for those who are interested.
  • UEFI > Audio > AudioCodec: 0 (This is the IOHDACodecAddress in our IORegistry)
  • UEFI > Audio > AudioDevice: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)
  • UEFI > Audio > AudioOutMask: 15 (Enables audio on channels 0, 1, 2 and 3. I'm not sure how many audio channels we have, but this should enable audio output on all of them) (setting AudioOutMask to the FailSafe value of -1 should also enable all channels, as -1 is ONES in binary).
  • UEFI > Audio > AudioSupport: True
  • UEFI > Audio > MaximumGain, MinimumAssistGain, MinimumAudibleGain: I left these as specified in the posted OC0.7.7-EFI-R001 attached to Post #1.
  • UEFI > Audio > PlayChime: Auto
  • UEFI > Audio > SetupDelay: I'm not certain, but you may need to change this from 0 to 500000 (.5 sec) if boot chime doesn't play when booting from USB. Start experimenting with a value of 0.
  • UEFI > Drivers: Enable AudioDxe.efi (Set Enabled to True in Item 2 in the OC0.7.7-EFI-R001 attached to Post #1)

EDIT: In "the other forum," @mackonsti informed me that when UEFI > Audio > PlayChime is Auto, the startup sound is enabled/disabled by System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects > Play sound on startup. He also observed that if AudioDxe.efi driver is enabled and PlayChime is Auto (in OC config.plist), AudioDxe.efi still appears to load regardless of whether Sound Effects > Play sound on startup is enabled in System Preferences, because there is still a startup delay. If you believe you have properly configured UEFI audio in your config.plist and still don't hear the startup sound, confirm that the startup sound is enabled in System Preferences. If you still experience a startup delay after disabling the startup sound (and you don't want the startup sound), make sure that the AudioDxe.efi driver is disabled and AudioSupport is False in your config.plist.

Last edited:
After cloning my production NVMe SSD to my backup NVMe SSD, I attempted an upgrade from XCode 12.5.1 to XCode 13.2.1. My HackMini8,1 froze with the AppStore update progress showing about 95%. There was no disk activity and no response from the mouse or keyboard. I was not able to remote into my hack.

I held the power button to force a shutdown and then booted. The XCode install is now completing (installd running in Activity Monitor, LaunchPad shows updating install progress and disk is active).

Others have reported problems with the XCode 13.2 update here.

UPDATE: The XCode 13.2 update completed, but my HackMini8,1 froze again after attempting to install XCode's "additional required components." I forced another shutdown and then booted. After starting XCode 13.2, I was prompted (again) to "Install additional required components." The additional components installed and XCode 13.2.1 started.

COMMENT: XCode 13.2.1 is running fine now and the XCode 13.2 Command Line Tools installed without issues. I'm glad I waited for XCode 13.2.1 (and didn't upgrade to earlier versions of XCode 13), because my existing projects build successfully. I had problems with XCode 13 and I didn't feel like debugging them. No problems with XCode 13.2.1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back