Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The upgrade to OC 0.7.5 is very easy. My upgrade steps are below. Test first on a USB Drive (before you upgrade OC on your primary boot volume) and be sure to Reset NVRAM after upgrading your EFI and before booting macOS.

OC 0.7.5 EFI R001 (upgrade from OC 0.7.4 EFI R001 attached to Post #1)
  • EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, HfsPlus.efi (and AudioDxe.efi if you need boot chime)
  • EFI/OC/Kexts
    • Update AppleALC.kext 1.6.5 -> 1.6.6
    • Update Lilu.kext 1.5.6 -> 1.5.7
    • Update WhateverGreen.kext 1.5.4 -> 1.5.5
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Add ACPI > Quirks > ResizeAppleGpuBars (Integer, -1)
    • Add UEFI > Quirks > ResizeGpuBars (Integer, -1)

If you're using Bluetooth, Acidenthera has posted BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.1 if you need it.

I took the time today to upgrade to OC 0.7.5 from 0.6.9 as well. It was much less painful than I was expecting. This was my method:

1. Downloaded and overwrote all the OC files in my EFI Partition.
2. Had to get also the binary resource files which also have an updated icon folder structure.
3. Updated Opencore Configurator and loaded my config.plist then saved it on location
4. Brought all my kexts up to date.
5. Rebooted (didn't even reset nvram)

Basically this updates all additions to config.plist in one whiff though I admit to have checked them one by one against @deeveedee's posts.

Now the question is whether or not to upgrade to Monterey... All my real macs are already upgraded and am thinking about skipping this version and wait for the next one. For those who upgraded, how do you feel about Monterey? I am reading about BT and sleep issues on other systems.

Just updated from 0.6.9 to 0.7.5 without issues!

I wanted to give a go to Monterey so I followed the advice of backing up my current drive using Carbon Copy.

After updating to 0.7.5 and then to Monterey, everything seems to be working as expected. I don't have any Bluetooth/Wifi issues, I'm using a BCM94360CS2 card, so far I have Airdrop, Handoff, etc. Without issues.

Thanks @deeveedee for the detailed instructions on how to update to 0.7.5.

A little help would be really appreciated here: I’ve been running 12.0.1 on my 800G4 without hiccups with OC 0.7.5. But this is the story:

I was using a 24in Apple led Cinema Display as I was in at my mother’s place (6000mi away from here), but when I came back home and connected to my HDMI monitors (the same monitors that I had running with big sur before going away) the screens go black at the second part of the boot process as if they were without signal. I Still can hear music if I press the keys and can reach the computer via ssh but the monitors don’t work.
I tried changing the boot arguments to -x for safe mode but it gives me another error and it won’t boot. I also tried downloading some command line package to modify the resolution via ssh without luck. Any suggestions? Thanks

Alright, I will... @rodrigogarciana, nobody can't help you without you providing the details of your configuration files. Please upload your EFI. It indeed looks like you have an issue with your GPU configuration but without knowing what you have, it's impossible to make suggestions.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the power of iMovie on this "little" Hackmini8,1. With an i9-9900, 32GB RAM and blazing-fast WD SN750 NVMe SSD, iMovie editing and rendering is smooth and FAST! What a pleasure.

@thexsenator I fixed the printer issue that I mentioned here. It turns out that the BS upgrade to 11.6 was a coincidence and not the actual cause. Microsoft update KB5005565 which was pushed on or around 14 September 2021 was the real cause. I was able to add the DWORD below to my printer server registry (Windows Server 2016) and after restarting the printspooler on the server and re-adding the printer on my macOS clients, all printing from Big Sur 11.6 to SMB (Windows share) printers is working again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled = 0
I uninstalled KB5005565, but when I try to re-add the printer, I receive the error 0x000003e3. I should not have removed that because it would have most likely worked. I'm expecting for a fix on Tuesday, but I'm thinking about installing a StarTech Parallel Ethernet Network Print Server on this Epson LX-350 instead because I don't trust Microsoft to do this right.

@Mishikk2 I removed KB5005565 when I was trying to find the fix (which turned out to be adding the DWORD) and I was able to recover. I hope the same is true for you. If you search for error 0x00003e3, you'll get a few hits like this one. I debugged my solution with a Windows 7 PC first (Windows 7 printing to a shared printer had the same problem as macOS). After I got Windows 7 printing to the shared printer again (with the RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled DWORD configured on the printer server), I deleted and re-added the printer on macOS.

This thread is dedicated to installing / running Big Sur on the HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini PC. This thread is derived from the original Catalina Guide and will gradually replace the Catalina guide.

This thread is not applicable to other versions of the HP EliteDesk PCs (e.g. non-Mini PCs and G1, G2, G3, G6, etc.). It has been reported that this thread and posted EFIs are applicable to the HP Prodesk 600 G4 and G5 Mini PCs as well.

Getting help with your hack
Before you ask for help, do your homework by reading ALL Known Issues here. If you want assistance with your hack or you have an issue that needs to be resolved, please post your question in this thread with your problem reporting files as described here. If using OC, post your sanitized EFI (remove MLB, ROM, SystemSerialNumber, SystemUUID). If using CLOVER, use @black.dragon74 's problem reporting tool here. If macOS's Read-Only protections block your installation of black.dragon74's gen_debug script, please copy the gen_debug script attached here to your Desktop, change script properties with the terminal command 'chmod a+x ~/Desktop/gen_debug' and run the script from your Desktop. While this thread focuses on a solution with OpenCore, CLOVER questions can still be posted in this thread.

See BIOS configuration here
See macOS installation instructions here
See sample DeviceProperties configurations here for graphics and audio

Tested BIOS Versions (G4 Mini): 02.11.01 Rev.A, 02.12.00 Rev.A, 02.14.01 Rev.A, 02.15.00 Rev.A, 02.16.00 Rev.A
Tested BIOS Versions (G5 Mini): 02.07.01 Rev.A, 02.08.00 Rev.A, 02.09.00 Rev.A, 02.10.01 Rev.A

See draft Open Core EFI attached. Match your installed OC version with the version indicated in the EFI name (do not mix OC and EFI versions). See change log here.

Switching from CLOVER to OC here

Big Sur install screen shots here

Big Sur GeekBench 5 CPU Benchmark here
Thank you for your sharing. This is my adaptation of Menterey based on your successful installation.

Attachments

• OC 0.76 Menterey12.1beta3 HP elitedesk 800 G4G5 i9 9900T UHD630.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 65
@Mook Thank you for posting your EFI and congratulations on your successful build. Glad this guide helped. Would you be able to explain why you added UTBMap.kext, USBToolBox.kext and CPUFriend kexts? What did you observe without the kexts that made you decide to add them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back