Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh I am upgrading to 11.6.1 first. I am dreading the upgrade to OC 0.7.x.
Will wait until I have more time.

Ok i upgrade ota after upgrade OC 0.7.4

All is ok but no video .... Just con2 is ok

I have

con0 DP to HDMI
con1 DP to VGA
con2 DP to dvi

Capture d’écran 2021-10-29 à 19.36.39.png

DO you have a idea ?

thanks

Edit I put 00080000 in all con and it's ok

Last edited:
As I mentioned here, the 800 G4 and G5 Minis can accommodate 2 x M.2 NVMe SSDs and 1 x SATA HD (or SSD). In my G5 Mini HackMini8,1, I have 2 x WD SN750 500 GB M.2 NVMe SSDs and 1 x 2 TB SATA 6 HD (for Time Machine and backup). Before I apply any significant updates/upgrades to my production M.2 NVMe SSD, I clone to my second M.2 NVMe SSD (using Carbon Copy). This strategy has worked very well for me. I just performed a clone before applying the 11.6.1 update. Clone speeds are fantastic with this setup. It may seem like overkill, but if you rely on your rig for daily use and can't waste time recovering from a failed upgrade, this is a great strategy.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 11.18.50 AM.png

NOTE: After cloning a drive in the manner discussed above, the cloned volume will have a name identical to the original volume in OC's boot menu. Follow the instructions here for changing the name of the cloned volume if you want it to have a unique name in OC's boot menu.

NOTE 2: I disable Time Machine on my cloned volume, so that if I do boot the cloned volume (e.g. for Monterey upgrade testing), my cloned volume isn't writing to my Time Machine.

Last edited:
As I mentioned here, the 800 G4 and G5 Minis can accommodate 2 x M.2 NVMe SSDs and 1 x SATA HD (or SSD). In my G5 Mini HackMini8,1, I have 2 x WD SN750 500 GB M.2 NVMe SSDs and 1 x 2 TB SATA 6 HD (for Time Machine and backup). Before I apply any significant updates/upgrades to my production M.2 NVMe SSD, I clone to my second M.2 NVMe SSD (using Carbon Copy). This strategy has worked very well for me. I just performed a clone before applying the 11.6.1 update. Clone speeds are fantastic with this setup. It may seem like overkill, but if you rely on your rig for daily use and can't waste time recovering from a failed upgrade, this is a great strategy.

View attachment 532600

Great info! If you don’t mind me asking, do you have plans for upgrading to Monterey?

@liriolebron I upgrade macOS when it's required for an XCode update (which means I stay with a version of macOS for as long as possible). For me, stability and bug-free operation are most important. If Apple is consistent with previous macOS releases, I'll be staying with Big Sur until Monterey 12.4 or 12.5 (again, depending on when Apple decides to make Monterey a requirement for XCode updates). I will definitely play with Monterey updates on my second (non-production) NVMe SSD, but won't spend much time fixing issues with Monterey until much later in a mature Monterey release cycle.

I won't be discussing my own Monterey ventures and I won't be responding to Monterey questions in this thread. I'm waiting for someone else to take the torch and create a Monterey thread for this HackMini8,1.

Big Sur 11.6.1 update completed without issues. I left it unattended and it was complete when I returned, so I'm not sure how long it took to perform the update. I'm running with Open Core 0.7.4.

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 1.38.34 PM.png

Same goes for Monterey Beta 12.1 on OC 0.7.4 for those who care :)

Am back from the tony Mac jail house :)

Would love to help with a guide for the next version. Got my little box running sweet. Just need to upgrade more ram added second ssd and perform the hard drive upgrade with the caddy mod

Then get another g4/5 when they come back up cheap again

The upgrade to OC 0.7.5 is very easy. My upgrade steps are below. Test first on a USB Drive (before you upgrade OC on your primary boot volume) and be sure to Reset NVRAM after upgrading your EFI and before booting macOS.

OC 0.7.5 EFI R001 (upgrade from OC 0.7.4 EFI R001 attached to Post #1)
  • EFI/BOOT: Update BOOTx64.efi
  • EFI/OC: Update OpenCore.efi
  • EFI/OC/Drivers: Update OpenRuntime.efi, HfsPlus.efi (and AudioDxe.efi if you need boot chime)
  • EFI/OC/Kexts
    • Update AppleALC.kext 1.6.5 -> 1.6.6
    • Update Lilu.kext 1.5.6 -> 1.5.7
    • Update WhateverGreen.kext 1.5.4 -> 1.5.5
  • EFI/OC/Tools: Update tools
  • EFI/OC/config.plist
    • Add ACPI > Quirks > ResizeAppleGpuBars (Integer, -1)
    • Add UEFI > Quirks > ResizeGpuBars (Integer, -1)

If you're using Bluetooth, Acidenthera has posted BrcmPatchRAM 2.6.1 if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back