Contribute
Register

Big Sur on HP EliteDesk 800 G4/G5 Mini - The Perfect MacMini8,1 Hackintosh - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hardware for the machine are as follow:

• Intel core i7-4765T processor
  • Intel Q87 express
  • Intel HD graphics on all models (integrated on processor)
It's apparent this is an HP G1 Haswell based PC with HD4600 graphics. Which is OT for this thread for the HP G4/G5. The included EFI will not work.

Screen Shot 10.jpg

I upgraded to OC 0.7.4 on my HackBookPro15,2 (not yet on this HackMini8,1). The upgrade is very easy. For those on OC 0.7.3 using the EFI attached to Post #1, the update should require the following:

Upgrade from OC 0.7.3 to OC 0.7.4
  • OC
    • Update BOOT/BOOTx64.efi, OC/OpenCore.efi, OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
  • config.plist
    • Add Comment key to UEFI>Drivers>Items
  • Kexts
    • Update AppleALC.kext to 1.6.5
    • Update WhateverGreen.kext to 1.5.4
  • Tools
    • Update Tools

Don't forget to Reset NVRAM after making your EFI changes and before booting macOS with the new changes. Also - it's best to test your EFI changes on a USB stick before you commit the final changes to your production drive.

Last edited:
i was running Hackintool on my rig and noticed that my Power settings (pmset -g) were wrong. I'm not sure how/when it happened, but some of these may affect proper sleep/wake. Attached is a script that I run to restore 'proper' settings. Save the file, chmod +x the file and run it. Confirm your settings with Hackintool or pmset -g.

Read more about this here. Note that my script adds 'pmset -a hibernatemode 0'

Attachments

• pmset-fix.zip
    280 bytes · Views: 121
@thexsenator I fixed the printer issue that I mentioned here. It turns out that the BS upgrade to 11.6 was a coincidence and not the actual cause. Microsoft update KB5005565 which was pushed on or around 14 September 2021 was the real cause. I was able to add the DWORD below to my printer server registry (Windows Server 2016) and after restarting the printspooler on the server and re-adding the printer on my macOS clients, all printing from Big Sur 11.6 to SMB (Windows share) printers is working again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled = 0

EDIT: Subsequent updates to Big Sur 11.6.x and Monterey 12.2.x broke MacOS printing to a Microsoft Windows SMB share. The "fix" for this is to add
Code:
?encryption=no
to the printer's SMB path in System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.

See more here.

Last edited:
The OC 0.7.4 upgrade was so easy, that I took the opportunity to restore the AudioDxe.efi driver that I had dropped in my posted OC 0.7.3 EFI. OC 0.7.4 EFI R001 is now attached to Post #1. I don't like the longer boot time caused by enabling the Audio driver, so I have it disabled in config.plist. To restore boot chime, you will need to enable the Audio Driver and change AudioSupport to true in config.plist.

OC 0.7.4 EFI R001 Changes (from OC 0.7.3 EFI R001)
  • OpenCore
    • Update BOOT/BOOTx64.efi, OC/OpenCore.efi, OC/Drivers/OpenRuntime.efi
  • config.plist
    • Add Comment key to UEFI>Drivers>Items
    • Restore UEFI > Drivers > Item 2 (AudioDxe.efi) which had been dropped in OC 0.7.3 EFI R001. This driver is disabled in config.plist and must be enabled for boot chime. UEFI > Audio > AudioSupport must be changed from false to true to enable boot chime.
  • Kexts
    • Update AppleALC.kext to 1.6.5
    • Update WhateverGreen.kext to 1.5.4
  • Tools
    • Update Tools
  • Drivers
    • Restore AudioDxe.efi which had been dropped in OC 0.7.3 EFI R001. Driver is Disabled in config.plist and must be Enabled for working boot chime. Note that enabling this driver may slow boot time.

Don't forget to Reset NVRAM after making your EFI changes and before booting macOS with the new changes. Also - it's best to test your EFI changes on a USB stick before you commit the final changes to your production drive.

Last edited:
@thexsenator I fixed the printer issue that I mentioned here. It turns out that the BS upgrade to 11.6 was a coincidence and not the actual cause. Microsoft update KB5005565 which was pushed on or around 14 September 2021 was the real cause. I was able to add the DWORD below to my printer server registry (Windows Server 2016) and after restarting the printspooler on the server and re-adding the printer on my macOS clients, all printing from Big Sur 11.6 to SMB (Windows share) printers is working again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled = 0
Thanks for the info @deeveedee, My problem is different than yours. I used bonjour with my Epson AL-M2000DN network printer. This is not working anymore... The printer is discovered but after adding to macos it is only "connecting to printer". Tried everything to fix it, no go. I finally turned bonjour off and switched to HP JetDirect / Socket and is working again.

For those who are feeling adventurous and who have the budget, I've seen evidence that hacking the EliteDesk 800 G6 Mini (Q470 Chipset, 10th Gen Intel CPU / UHD630) should be possible with good results. It looks like you'd need to spoof a device-id. I still think that the G5 Mini / i9-9900 is the best HackMini8,1 for the money at this time, but if someone does tackle the G6 Mini in another thread, it would be interesting to say the least. Because of the minimal performance difference between the i9-9900 and the i7-10700 (the only major difference being memory bandwidth), I wouldn't advise going with a G6 Mini unless you plan to equip it with a 10th Gen i9 (i9-10900 10 core / 20 thread). I can't guarantee that the G6 Mini will be a good hackintosh, so attempting a G6 Mini hack is at your own risk.

EDIT: I looked at the device-id for the i9-10900 (here) and see that it is 0x9BC5. According to this, device-id 0x9BC5 is natively supported. It is possible that an EliteDesk 800 G6 Mini with i9-10900 can run macOS without spoofing the device-id.

Last edited:
Many thanks to advice and instructions from @miliuco , @macnb and @antuneddu in another forum who patiently helped me understand how to change volume names in the OC boot menu / boot picker. If you are booting multiple macOS volumes via OC, these steps may interest you. I am repeating the steps here, because I have been unable to link and/or reference the original source without violating a tonymacx86 policy. Credit for this information goes to the three of them.
  1. Disable SIP by modifying OC config.plist. For Big Sur, disable SIP by changing csr-active-config to FF0F0000 and adding csr-active-config to NVRAM > Delete > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82. Reboot with the modified config.plist and Reset NVRAM before booting macOS with the config.plist changes.
  2. 'sudo diskutil mount' the Preboot volume associated with each volume whose OC menu entry you wish to rename
  3. using an editor like 'vi,' edit /System/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-number/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails in each Preboot volume, where UUID-number is the unique UUID of each Preboot volume. With the .disk_label.contentDetails file open in your editor, modify the volume name to be exactly as you wish it to appear in the OC boot menu and save the file.
  4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for each Preboot volume associated with the macOS volume in OC boot menu
  5. Reboot and confirm your changed volume names in the OC boot menu
  6. After confirming your changed volume names, fully enable SIP (change csr-active-config back to 00000000 in OC's config.plist), reboot and Reset NVRAM before booting macOS

EDIT: In "the other forum's" Open Core Discussion, @miliuco provided another way to disable SIP in Open Core: To quote him: "Misc > Security > AllowToggleSip when true enables Toogle SIP tool in the picker, this tool switch SIP enabled to disabled and vicecersa with a single click and makes it very easy to boot once with SIP disabled without modifying csr-active-config in config.plist."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back